PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
I will take my two current pipes and allocate them for aromatics. The two newer pipes which should be here tomorrow will use for everything else.

Rasta I just put some Presbyterian and some Peterson Early Morning on order just now. Thank you for the suggestion.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Exotic passion will ghost your pipe if it’s in the same room. I almost thought I was going to have to trash one of my favorite system pipes after trying some out of it.

Funny seeing this, I just got a tin of Rattray’s Exotic Passion here, smoked only one bowl in a Cob, 4-5 bowls later, it’s just starting to get the the bloody Ghost out! LOL ?

After only 1 bowl of Exotic Passion, I’m not a fan, anyone want a tin of Rattray’s Exotic Passion cheap? Only smoked one bowl! LOL

@turbomunkey nothing is written in stone, I don’t dedicate pipes, but if it’s a blend known to Ghost I only smoke one bowl, then smoke other blends until the Ghost is gone, before smoking a blend that will Ghost again.

P.S. Dedicated pipes, I guess gets down to only a few things, how many blends you smoke that will Ghost a pipe, and how many pipes you can afford to dedicate to just one blend. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: BROBS and danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Personally, I have found concerns of ghosting to be a bit overstated. YMMV, of course. And on the fairly rare occassion I do notice a ghost, they tend to disappear after a few bowls of something more neutral. I think you'll discover the right path for yourself as you add pipes to your rotation and get a sense for what tobaccos smoke best in what pipes, etc.

As for non-aromatics to try:

English/Latakia blends:
GL Pease Maltese Falcon
Balkan Supreme

Virginia-based:
Orlik Golden Sliced
Stokkebye Luxury Flakes

Burley-based:
Amphora Burley
MacBaren HH Burley Flake

Virginia-Kentucky:
MacBaren Old Dark Fired/Ready Rubbed
GL Pease Jackknife Plug/Ready Rubbed

There are tons of great ones to try, but I tried to include examples that represent their genre, are widely available, and include a bulk option

Reactions: OzPiper and BROBS
Jun 23, 2019
Not even from a ghosting or upkeep perspective, but I usually smoke my aromatics in cobs, mortas, or meers. In my experience, they simply taste better. The only "aromatic" I smoke in briars are liquor ones.

It wasn't like I deliberately decided on this either but I guess over time this is just where my experimenting has left me.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I keep seeing reputable youtube pipe personalities saying they use a designated pipe for aromatics. Now considering im new, ive done a little research and it would appear that most of the tobaccos i own so far are aromatic (Captain Black cherry, smokers pride vanilla, molto dolce, very cherry, etc).

So now the question remains, when i get my two new pipes in the post, do i avoid using them with the tobaccos i currently have so that they can be used on non aromatic blends? Also does anyone want to plug a non aromatic that I should try?
I’m on the other side of that argument, while ghosting is real, you just need to clean your pipe well with Pipe cleaners, or even better with pipe cleaners and alcohol occasionally and smoke a couple non-aro bowls and the ghosting will disappear... I smoke anything, in any pipe.

You could try an English Blend, or an English aromatic (English with some flavour), or maybe a straight Virginia, lots to try. Amphora is good and cheaper prices.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don’t have any sort of an advanced pallet, so I don’t know how much ghosting and what not would effect my experience.
I've had one blend give a serious ghost issue. Brebbia Allegro and that didn't really bother me either. I think where I've seen people have issues with ghosting that would bother me are people who smoked mainly one blend for years and then switched to something else. Or with extremely strong blends. Ghosting is certainly real but like lots of pipe questions it comes down to you and what you're looking for. That said I think ghosting is very warned about because it might be something important to you and it's easier to avoid then try to fix after the fact. Also for most of my pipe career I have had one or two pipes at a time. Only recently have I bought more (blame the internet).

Reactions: danimalia and BROBS

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
When I started with pipes in the '70's, I would buy one tobacco blend and finish that before buying the next. So ghosting was not an issue. Now I have several blends going on at the same time, and ghosting is definitely an issue.
I have never smoked a Lakeland blend, so I can't comment on those, but Latakia/Turkish will definitely ghost your pipe. Hot water flushing will reduce the ghost somewhat, but will not completely eliminate it.
These days I have pipes for aromatics, pipes for English/Balkans and pipes for VaPers

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Not exactly out of the aro world, I love J Foxx's Hibernia blend. It's got a hint of vanilla somewhere, but it's quite delicious. I love the Vauen aromatics as well.

You might want to try a Virginia like luxury twist flake. I mean, suggestions get tricky. I'd be happy to send you a few bowls of what I enjoy. Who knows, maybe down the road you'll return the favor when you find a unicorn tobacco that is want to try.

Dan-o$

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2021
Gardnerville, Nevada
I will take my two current pipes and allocate them for aromatics. The two newer pipes which should be here tomorrow will use for everything else.

Rasta I just put some Presbyterian and some Peterson Early Morning on order just now. Thank you for the suggestion.
heard if you want to taste a new aromatic a guy should get a new corn cob because a new aromatic can leave a permanent taste in a pipe. then designate one pipe for only one blend as they will tend to mix together so that you lose the original intent of smoking that blend in the first place

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never experienced ghosting. I smoke a wide variety of blends including Latakia and aromatic blends, but I also have "a lot" of pipes by my sensibility, not quite 100. I'd only designate if I wanted to smoke the Lakeland aromatics with the famous rose-geranium flavoring, but I don't. With many pipes, and dogmatic post smoke cleaning, I just don't feel the need. I'd probably enjoy a little temporary light ghosting, but I don't experience that.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I've never experienced ghosting. I smoke a wide variety of blends including Latakia and aromatic blends, but I also have "a lot" of pipes by my sensibility, not quite 100. I'd only designate if I wanted to smoke the Lakeland aromatics with the famous rose-geranium flavoring, but I don't. With many pipes, and dogmatic post smoke cleaning, I just don't feel the need. I'd probably enjoy a little temporary light ghosting, but I don't experience that.
What does your post smoke cleaning consist of?