PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
I keep seeing reputable youtube pipe personalities saying they use a designated pipe for aromatics. Now considering im new, ive done a little research and it would appear that most of the tobaccos i own so far are aromatic (Captain Black cherry, smokers pride vanilla, molto dolce, very cherry, etc).

So now the question remains, when i get my two new pipes in the post, do i avoid using them with the tobaccos i currently have so that they can be used on non aromatic blends? Also does anyone want to plug a non aromatic that I should try?

Also does anyone want to plug a non aromatic that I should try?
Nope, but I might suggest trying an English blend. It is the easiest to taste, and many people who are just getting their feet wet with non-aros seem to take this route.

But, I don't smoke many aromatics, but when I do, I only use one of four pipes that I have dedicated to them. I also have a few pipes dedicated to lakelands also.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
It really depends on the type of aromatic. For example, i sometimes smoke devil's holiday which is a strongly flavored aromatic, it does, to a certain extent ghost a pipe. However, the flavor is so pleasant that i don't mind. After a bowl or two of something else, it goes away. On the other hand, i could not believe how much ghost was stuck in a pipe from rattray exotic passion, C&D dreams of celephais and the one and only bowl i ever smoked of capt black grape. For the most part, i don't usually deal with residual ghosting as i clean my pipes on the morning following. I run cold water through the stem and use several pipe cleaners to swab out the stem, mortise and bowl followed by a paper towel "reaming" of the bowl. I then frequently use a bit of whiskey, rum or brandy in the bowl allowing it to run out of the stem. This is followed by vigorous use of pipe cleaners through the stem and into the bowl. While i have read that acrylic and alcohol do not mix, i have never had a problem with any acrylic stem. The one part of this i really recommend is running cold water through the stem as well as rinsing it under the faucet.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I keep seeing reputable youtube pipe personalities saying they use a designated pipe for aromatics. Now considering im new, ive done a little research and it would appear that most of the tobaccos i own so far are aromatic (Captain Black cherry, smokers pride vanilla, molto dolce, very cherry, etc).

So now the question remains, when i get my two new pipes in the post, do i avoid using them with the tobaccos i currently have so that they can be used on non aromatic blends? Also does anyone want to plug a non aromatic that I should try?
Most youtubers are idiots; use common sense. If you smoke the really goopy aromatics, yes, it will tinge the cake with that flavor, but if it isn't a goopy aromatic (like MB's Vanilla Roll Cake for instance), it probably won't...or at least not anymore than something untopped but with latakia or perique in it will. In the latter case, once you put something else in the pipe, the taste won't be noticeable at all so I wouldn't worry about it too much. You also have to remember that running a simple pipe cleaner through the pipe does wonders in cleaning up the taste the previous blend left behind.

Reactions: Elric

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm at one end of the spectrum on this. I would only designate a pipe if I wanted to smoke Lakeland aromatics with rose-geranium flavoring. I have quite a few pipes (about 94) so they all get rotated and rested, and I've never noticed any ghosts of Latakia, aromatic flavoring, or anything else. All my blends are open to all my pipes, and that's how I like it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It really depends on the type of aromatic. For example, i sometimes smoke devil's holiday which is a strongly flavored aromatic, it does, to a certain extent ghost a pipe. However, the flavor is so pleasant that i don't mind. After a bowl or two of something else, it goes away. On the other hand, i could not believe how much ghost was stuck in a pipe from rattray exotic passion, C&D dreams of celephais and the one and only bowl i ever smoked of capt black grape. For the most part, i don't usually deal with residual ghosting as i clean my pipes on the morning following. I run cold water through the stem and use several pipe cleaners to swab out the stem, mortise and bowl followed by a paper towel "reaming" of the bowl. I then frequently use a bit of whiskey, rum or brandy in the bowl allowing it to run out of the stem. This is followed by vigorous use of pipe cleaners through the stem and into the bowl. While i have read that acrylic and alcohol do not mix, i have never had a problem with any acrylic stem. The one part of this i really recommend is running cold water through the stem as well as rinsing it under the faucet.
Exotic passion will ghost your pipe if it’s in the same room. I almost thought I was going to have to trash one of my favorite system pipes after trying some out of it.

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the replies all. So the premise for a designated aromatic pipe is the added goop can stick to your bowl cake and dilute flavor of future tobaccos? Interesting. I don’t have any expensive pipes yet so I think I’ll just allocate a few to do super sticky icky and the rest I’ll use a yet to be purchased expensive pipe.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I have 2 briars I use for aromatics, and I'll smoke anything in all of my cobs. I wouldn't want to smoke a Virginia flake or a VaPer in my aromatic pipes. That being said, I sometimes smoke a bulk straight Virginia or straight burley (or both) in my aromatics pipes in a deliberate ghost hunting exercise

Reactions: Annaresti Red

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
For the most part, I only smoke aromatics in certain pipes. I generally separate mine into a few categories. Va based pipes, burley based pipes, latakia blend pipes, lakeland pipes, and aromatic pipes. That being said, I do have a handful of pipes that are "anything goes" pipes, and I don't find myself enjoying them any less, I just know what I'm getting into when I load them up. Mostly those are pipes that are out and about, especially when I'm in the plane and need to stay light.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Yes, I have a Savinelli Mattone 601 for aros, and a Peterson Dublin 221 for everything else (both bent billiards). It's definitely a good idea to keep 'em separated, but my system is the simplest one. You'll see others on here who split it up further; for example, keeping aros, straight VAs and everything else in separate categories. Others might divide up aros, keep fruity separate from chocolate/vanilla. There's a million different ways to do it, and the only thing you'll see that everyone here agrees on is that the only "right" way is whatever your personal preference is (once you suss it out, that is).

I started with aros myself. The first non-aro I ever tried was Peterson Sherlock Holmes. Straight VA, ready rubbed ribbon cut. It's a nice mild option when you're ready to make the foray into terra incognita.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Reactions: Lyle b

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Northern rivers nsw Australia
Am enjoying areos on a less regular basis that I once did but anything with a nice sized bowl does the trick , have a butz choquin origine that smokes areos really well and an old banger that's good for anything , only keep one small bowled peterson tankard churchy for the every so often macs vanilla flake , probably my only really dedicated pipe , it loves that stuff as I do when in the mood , all my other pipes for flakes and mixes .