Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I regret not finding the “other” thread until I read this one. I thought the answers provided by G&H were magnificent. In this day and age of “woke” apologizing and saying “I am sorry” for literally everything it was a pleasure to read responses that stated the truth of the facts and basically said “get lost” if you are upset that I won’t bend over.

As I get older, it means something to me that a man or a woman in this case is willing to defend legacy over the all mighty dollar and honor over catering to those who value social media over history. @gawithhoggarth , I raise my pipe to you and say, “Cheers”.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Now, it seems I will be forced to open a box of Grousemoor. It has been properly resealed by me so that I would be able to smoke it worry free three years from now. But, in light of all of this rabble talk of supply lines, faulty tins, and damned aging speculation, the box is opened and my pipe is lit.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Now, it seems I will be forced to open a box of Grousemoor. It has been properly resealed by me so that I would be able to smoke it worry free three years from now. But, in light of all of this rabble talk of supply lines, faulty tins, and damned aging speculation, the box is opened and my pipe is lit.
no you wont,the seals been compromised.
nothing you can do now to keep it,just moan about it ;)

Reactions: telescopes

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just bought 2 ounces of Ennerdale Mixture, the topping on that is most certainly not toned down at all. It’s every bit as sauced as any I’ve ever tried. So, maybe that was just some batch variations? I don’t know but this stuff is as delicious as ever!
Did you smoke it prior to 2018?

@condorlover1

Just checked a few sites and as often as they used to immediately sell out, many of their flavored blends are still in stock including Ennerdale Flake.

Last edited:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I regret not finding the “other” thread until I read this one. I thought the answers provided by G&H were magnificent. In this day and age of “woke” apologizing and saying “I am sorry” for literally everything it was a pleasure to read responses that stated the truth of the facts and basically said “get lost” if you are upset that I won’t bend over.

As I get older, it means something to me that a man or a woman in this case is willing to defend legacy over the all mighty dollar and honor over catering to those who value social media over history. Gawith Hoggarth, I raise my pipe to you and say, “Cheers”.

1000X this ^^^^

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Did you smoke it prior to 2018?

@condorlover1

Just checked a few sites and as often as they used to immediately sell out, many of their flavored blends are still in stock including Ennerdale Flake.

Yes, I still have pounds of it tucked away from 2016. I bought a couple of ounces to see for myself how much the sauce has been toned down. I was surprised to find that it’s very, very... saucey! But I tried the “mixture” which is obviously just the flake slightly rubbed out or maybe the bottom of the Flake barrel? I don’t know, but it’s good stuff, every bit as scented as the stuff I bought in 2016. I noticed a lot more of their blends have been staying in stock longer these days, I just attributed this to them keeping up with the demand much more successfully.

I’m just reporting my findings on the current Ennerdale Mixture.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Yes, I still have pounds of it tucked away from 2016. I bought a couple of ounces to see for myself how much the sauce has been toned down. I was surprised to find that it’s very, very... saucey! But I tried the “mixture” which is obviously just the flake slightly rubbed out or maybe the bottom of the Flake barrel? I don’t know, but it’s good stuff, every bit as scented as the stuff I bought in 2016. I noticed a lot more of their blends have been staying in stock longer these days, I just attributed this to them keeping up with the demand much more successfully.

I’m just reporting my findings on the current Ennerdale Mixture.
Way to go, man. The narrative is ruined.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I missed the recent controversy. I wish their tins were readily available but there are realities on their side with production and unfortunately they can't control people hoarding them.

Above all I appreciate that they are here and provide real answers, and I don't blame them for having a go at people who want to criticize them unfairly.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I found the other thread, and I feel it wasn't as bad as billed. It was basically 2 people trying to drag GH through the mud and doing it unsuccessfully.

I love the company, and I love buying from a small outfit making high quality stuff uncompromisingly. I love the idea of supporting these 30 people and their families who devote their careers to keeping tradition alive.

Yes I'd love to be able to find some St. James Flake right now but it's mainly hoarders to blame for that.

These hoarders will probably kick off one day with a pile of hundreds of tins, which their kids will just put out for garbage not knowing what to do with any of it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yes I'd love to be able to find some St. James Flake right now but it's mainly hoarders to blame for that.

These hoarders will probably kick off one day with a pile of hundreds of tins, which their kids will just put out for garbage not knowing what to do with any of it.
Don't forget to thank those online store for enabling hoarders by refusing to place MEANINGFUL limits on purchases of limited product.
Amazing how many codgers with 400 lbs of tobacco rotting aging away are so addlepated that they think they need more.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Don't forget to thank those online store for enabling hoarders by refusing to place MEANINGFUL limits on purchases of limited product.
Amazing how many codgers with 400 lbs of tobacco rotting aging away are so addlepated that they think they need more.
Yes, I appreciate their effort to say 'no more than 5 tins per day' or what have you. It would be better if they said it is "5 Gawith tins or one box per month" for each account.

Even if you have 5 bowls a day and you only smoke one GH tobacco, that's more than enough. Any more than this and you're hoarding IMO