PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2018
England
What a waste. This saddens me.
Yeah, it's a sad sight.
Tobacco is an organic product so this sort of thing is bound to happen from time to time.

The lady from Gawith said they'd had trouble with their old Spanish distributor and that was a cause of a lot of the problems.

Here in England I've bought lots of Gawith tobacco over the years and never had a problem with mold.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What part of this don’t people understand?
Any of it. That much is pretty clear. There are people with developed palates who can taste differences and appreciate them and a lot of folks who can't. For those who can't, and they're in the majority, one tobacco tastes pretty much like another with minor variations and many can't really taste Virginias at all.
These niceties of tobacco production are completely lost on them.
And this doesn't reflect on their acumen in other areas, but pipe tobacco isn't an area of discernment. So all this concern about production and pipeline, and quality characteristics about tobacco blends sounds like Martian gibberish and does not compute. Tobacco is just something you take from a tin or a pouch, burn in a pipe, and get a relaxing buzz.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
After it got around that their toppings had diminished, the feeding frenzy has reduced.
I just bought 2 ounces of Ennerdale Mixture, the topping on that is most certainly not toned down at all. It’s every bit as sauced as any I’ve ever tried. So, maybe that was just some batch variations? I don’t know but this stuff is as delicious as ever!

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Personally, I’ve never had any issues with any G&H or SG blends, but then I don’t have my cellar so full that I could open my own tobacconists - so I couldn’t really comment on the tin seals etc.

I’m just thankful we’ve got one proper maker left 🇬🇧 - I’m not counting Germain’s anymore, as I’ve got more hope of being knocked down by Raquel Welch, driving a 1932 Bentley at high speed, in reverse, while moonwalking across the M1, than I have of getting my hands on any of their product. 😆

Keep it up @gawithhoggarth

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
Sable's suggestion on the other thread about offering in bulk makes sense, only thing would be to look for better sealing plastic bags.

I did write a response on the other thread but then it was locked so could not post. We do most blends in bulk as well. Some only in bulk. However, there are issues with FDA rules in the States as to what you can introduce and change so not always possible. And there are many countries that order only tins and in the UK tins offer shops a good way to hold a larger selection of blends rather than having to take large bulk bags of each blend. It's a good way for them to test the market, hold a couple of tins of different blends. And of course not all retailers can or want to buy in bulk and weigh out certain amounts to sell. Tins are easier for them. But from a being able to pack and ship quicker, we'd much prefer to do bulk.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I guess I've been lucky, never had a single issue with SG/GH - over 40 plus years.

And probably every tobacco blending company has had mold issues. Y'all think McClelland closing their doors was as bad as it gets? Just imagine if GH/SG shut down. But just keep bitchin' and whining though...as that's so new and trendy these days.
Where were you getting your GH in 1983?