PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I know it looks bad, essentially "Which pipe is so well crafted it will make up for my bad habits?" But I can't resist asking. I already know I should slow down... I'm making progress, but sometimes no matter how slow I smoke It's just waterworks in the shank. Maybe it's just a normal part of smoking, do most people have to run a cleaner down the stem and into the shank once or twice per smoke to deal with moisture, or is that considered "bad smoking"?
you could go the other way. Smoke a pipe that makes the issue worse. Pain is a great teacher.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
Have you tried a better tobacco drying technique?

Yup, I prefer fairly dry tobacco, I find it moistens itself more than enough throughout the smoke.

Have you thought of smoking stronger tobacco?
+1 dry your tobacco
+1 try some really strong tobacco

Yup, I can't smoke Old Dark Fired straight... got queezy ?

I puff way too fast and I can't get a bad smoke out of an Old England. Something about the Sasieni briar, or the airway, I don't know. And mine are definitely not thick-walled.
Alternatively, it would take an act of god to make Semois gurgle. That tobacco is so dry it's foolproof.

I will keep that pipe in mind!

Last edited:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I some times smoke "a little" fast. Cadence has been a learned skill. Different pipes and different tobaccos have their own requirements.

A couple of pipes have identified themselves as intolerant of accelerated cadence and I have had to comply with their needs to enjoy them.

For instance, my one morta, a thin walled, almost stack configuration won't tolerate anything beyond sipping, so I work to always pair it with tobaccos with similar requirements.

Other pipes are happy to endure a bit more speed or heat. It's not necessarily brand, shape or material specific, either. Two "twins" can have divergent characteristics.

Working it all out is part of the fun, in my opinion. If you need a "cadence training aid" get yourself a one pound bag of Daughters & Ryan and don't give up until you can get 45 minutes out of a medium bowl.

On that note, moisture is the biggest variable under your control. If you've not tried it yet, REALLY dry out some tobacco beyond what you feel is necessary. Like a whole day. See how that impacts your experience.

I've been "relearning" this with my recent Tawny Flake experience.

1581798140845.jpeg

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
Ran out of time to edit the previous post, thanks everyone for the tips, I'll keep them all in mind.

+1
Moist tobacco as well as fast smoking are the top causes of excess moisture: wet dottle, gurgling, and hot smoke.

To my diagnosis it seems to be the pipe-- my reasoning is as follows: I smoke more or less the same every time. Some pipes smoke reasonably dry for me. My tobacco is a variable that doesn't really change, they're always some sort of va/vaper/vaburper, nothing goopy, always dried. For instance, I'm smoking some Stokkebye Burley right now in that GBD estate, I'm not sure if you remember-- it was the wettest of the bunch. I boiled it as a last resort(didn't work, but didn't make things worse either). I examined it very carefully and the texture of the briar is almost as if someone killed the pipe by soaking it candlewax, murdering its pores. That's the best way I can describe it. When I smoke it, black, wet tar seeps from the insides of the bowls-- the same is true of the shank. It's a demonic ancient cursed GBD. Meanwhile something like my better pipes(Kaywoodies, some no names, my precious savinelli) Smoke very well. I'm sure my smoking contributes, there I have no doubt, but it's so complicated because of all the variables. My next goal will be to eliminate alcohol from my cleaning regimen and see if that helps.

No, the fabled breath method doesn't work for me either.

That one actually did help me quite a bit, I have a lot of good experiences when I forget about the pipe in my mouth and just kinda loop the smoke around while I focus on something us, but then the drawback is it's not just me and the tobacco, which to me is the whole point since i love the taste so much. The "reminder" I get when I get a mouthful of delicious notes which un-distract me is much appreciated with the breathe method. I'm sure it'll only get better with time, I'm just a very slow learner.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
You get your biggest pipe (the bigger the better) and attach a silicone tube to the mouthpiece. Fill it up with your favorite tobacco and head out to the car and go for a ride. Right before you get to the freeway, light it up and roll up the pipe in the window with the bowl on the outside facing forward. Now head out on the freeway and smoke thru the tube. That smoke will get nice and hot but you smoke it. You smoke no matter how hot it gets. You hear me private? YOU smoke it down the ash and perhaps unti that glowing bowl disintegrates. Then you drive over to the hospital and have your throat and tongue treated for 3rd degree burns.

There, that ought to teach you to slow down ya hot smoke junky.

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
but sometimes no matter how slow I smoke It's just waterworks in the shank.

I am very new to pipe smoking. I always use a 9mm charcoal filter. Never once had moisture or tongue bite. I can’t be sure that’s attributed to the use of a filter, but I have a suspicion that it is—at least in large part. Might be worth trying that.

cheers
Drew

Reactions: BROBS and subsalac

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I am very new to pipe smoking. I always use a 9mm charcoal filter. Never once had moisture or tongue bite. I can’t be sure that’s attributed to the use of a filter, but I have a suspicion that it is—at least in large part. Might be worth trying that.

cheers
Drew
Moisture is one of the major causes of tongue burn, so yes, a filter definitely helps with that.

Reactions: BROBS

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sandollars- My reference, oblique as it was, is to the plural of alumnus in your avatar! I guess, if your wife is also a graduate....

Jan 27, 2020
I think this predicament has something to do with a compulsion to consume, a problem I can say I fall victim to which I hope pipe smoking can tame a bit. When at a bar for example, I’m always eager to order another drink (even if I can’t afford to do so), not sure what the psychology behind it is.

Reactions: BROBS

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I think this predicament has something to do with a compulsion to consume, a problem I can say I fall victim to which I hope pipe smoking can tame a bit. When at a bar for example, I’m always eager to order another drink (even if I can’t afford to do so), not sure what the psychology behind it is.
Choleric temperament, mate? Guess we just are too impatient and eager to take a big piece out of life before someone beats us to it. ;)

Jan 27, 2020
Choleric temperament, mate? Guess we just are too impatient and eager to take a big piece out of life before someone beats us to it. ;)

For sure but that isn’t to say we are actually enjoying what we consume with a full heart... and with further though something also a bit melancholic exists in such a behavior, at least for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr and Bowie

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018

Impulsion as well-- there was a famous experiment where kids were presented with a marshmallow infront of them and were told that the experimenter would leave the room. When coming back they were told, if the marshmallow was still there, they would get another one. Supposed to predict things like health and success in life, but it's been a little controversial whether or not it proves anything. Well anyway, the point-- I'm the sort of kid who'd already be chewing on the marshmallow while being explained the experiment ?

Jan 27, 2020
Impulsion as well-- there was a famous experiment where kids were presented with a marshmallow infront of them and were told that the experimenter would leave the room. When coming back they were told, if the marshmallow was still there, they would get another one. Supposed to predict things like health and success in life, but it's been a little controversial whether or not it proves anything. Well anyway, the point-- I'm the sort of kid who'd already be chewing on the marshmallow while being explained the experiment ?

I too would be skeptical that any other marshmallows were actually in the building...

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr