PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I would submit you're looking for the wrong solution. I also think your question is sort of an oxymoron. The vast majority of pipe smokers slow down with experience. Try slowing down so you won't have to find a nitrogen pipe to stand up to your cadence. I believe you will ultimately come to appreciate this solution better.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I would submit you're looking for the wrong solution. I also think your question is sort of an oxymoron. The vast majority of pipe smokers slow down with experience. Try slowing down so you won't have to find a nitrogen pipe to stand up to your cadence. I believe you will ultimately come to appreciate this solution better.

I know it looks bad, essentially "Which pipe is so well crafted it will make up for my bad habits?" But I can't resist asking. I already know I should slow down... I'm making progress, but sometimes no matter how slow I smoke It's just waterworks in the shank. Maybe it's just a normal part of smoking, do most people have to run a cleaner down the stem and into the shank once or twice per smoke to deal with moisture, or is that considered "bad smoking"?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I know it looks bad, essentially "Which pipe is so well crafted it will make up for my bad habits?" But I can't resist asking. I already know I should slow down... I'm making progress, but sometimes no matter how slow I smoke It's just waterworks in the shank. Maybe it's just a normal part of smoking, do most people have to run a cleaner down the stem and into the shank once or twice per smoke to deal with moisture, or is that considered "bad smoking"?

The only had smoking would be those you don't enjoy. While you're in search of a slower cadence, you might try pipes with thick bowls and smaller ID.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
The pipe you're searching for doesn't exist.
What you need is a loose pack, a good, thick walled pipe and to accept that most often you'll have to dump the last third of your wet tobacco.
Fast smoke = wet smoke.
A system pipe doesn't keep the tobacco from going wet. It just captures some of the moisture before it enters your mouth. All that moisture is still formed in the bowl and passes through your tobacco, making it wet and harsh.

Maybe some of those keystone thingies might help you. I haven't tried them, but you probably should.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
+1 dry your tobacco
+1 try some really strong tobacco

Try those things first then look at other pipes. Falcon pipes can capture alot of moisture. Meerschaum pipes are also dry smokers and can soak it up. Your problem could also be the design of your pipe. Some pipes just smoke wet due to design flaws.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I puff way too fast and I can't get a bad smoke out of an Old England. Something about the Sasieni briar, or the airway, I don't know. And mine are definitely not thick-walled.
Alternatively, it would take an act of god to make Semois gurgle. That tobacco is so dry it's foolproof.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
do most people have to run a cleaner down the stem and into the shank once or twice per smoke to deal with moisture, or is that considered "bad smoking"?
I'd consider it bad smoking when same cleaner-running bloke disses filters and those who use them. Otherwise, do what works for you; still, doing the cleaner trick seems like a hassle to me, but heck, I can capitalise on the habit and manufacture leather port-a-cleaners.

Again, if you're gonna puff like a choo-choo, you need to dry your tobacco, use balsa filters, or smoke straight pipes (since bents seem to accumulate more moisture at the heel than straights), or a combination of the three. You can use the cleaner if that's your cup of tea and your pipe is filterless.

Do note that aromatics don't like to be dried to 'bone dry' as they lose flavour and you'll be tasting basically nothing but burnt ash. So, drying the leaf isn't a panacea either.

I second the advice to slow down, but it's advice I myself don't really take: I have a fast cadence (one sippuff every ten seconds) which is mostly the result of trying to keep the pipe from going out (I hate constant relights because they are a leading cause of tongue burn) and the need to finish the bowl quickly, in under 35 minutes.

No, the fabled breath method doesn't work for me either.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
get a clay pipe. The bowl gets really hot easily but the smoke seems to stay very cool. Otherwise then that a pipe is only going to help a bit. Yes some pipes smoke cooler but they're just give you more time or wiggle room not magically cure cadence issues.

Reactions: Guppy