PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
This is a bit of a different question that the usual "What are some good, well engineered pipes to buy" because it's slightly more specific: For those of you who have been smoking for years now, and have what could be called a fast cadence, do you find that a well made pipe can make up for the fact that this cadence can sometimes contribute to a hot bowl and a hot/wet smoke? Which pipe brands/manufacturers, have you found smoke the best despite your fast cadence?

I suffer from said fast cadence( I just love the taste of the tobacco too much... it's too hard to slow down), and was wondering if certain pipes are so well engineered they can noticeably make up for my suboptimal puffing habits, and I just want to compose a list of pipes to look for in the future based on this specific detail if it exists.

Reactions: JMcQ

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
That’s an interesting title. I was made to understand that there are fast pipe smokers, and there are long-time pipe smokers, but very few fast, long time pipe smokers. I’ll be interested to see if that’s right or not.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
That’s an interesting title. I was made to understand that there are fast pipe smokers, and there are long-time pipe smokers, but very few fast, long time pipe smokers. I’ll be interested to see if that’s right or not.

Matches who recently passed had a pretty fast cadence, there are a definitely a few out there

Loving the taste is the primary reason to slow down.

But... but then I love the taste a lot less :(

It's just how I am I guess. I love huge bites of food, the largest possible gulp of beer, and giant puffs of satisfying pipe smoke.

Reactions: upnorth1 and BROBS

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
Then, since you don't seem to have the necessary self-contril, keep up what you are doing and you'll soon have your tongue conditioned.

I feel like that's already happened-- prior to smoking I was big into Chinese tea, so I conditioned my tongue there. Upon coming back to pipes and only smoking Va/Vaper/Vaburper, near-zero bite. :col:

The issue I'm having, which I can't tell how much of it is my cadence or packing, is hot+wet. And it's not always. The variables of pipe smoking overwhelm my brain. Is it not enough rest? Maybe. Is it my packing? Maybe. Is it my fast puffing? Maybe. Is it my pipes quality? Maybe. Is it my estates which ought to be good quality(Savinelli Punto Oro) are too gunked up from prior smokers putting junk inside it? Maybe. Is it the fact that I clean the insides of the shank very aggressively with grain alcohol, and my pipes wouldn't smoke wet if I only put hot water in 'em like some here swear by? Maybe.

I figure if someone says something like, "Oh totally! I'm a fast puffer, and brand/maker X completely negates my rather impulsive puffing rhythm! The pipes are so well made that even I can't manage a bad smoke out of them!" Then I could put that pipe on my bucket list, and then try to nullify all the above variables, like cleaning it only with hot water for example-- Then I'll be very reasonably able to diagnose the issue by process of elimination. With some pipes like the Punto Oro I know fast puffing alone can't be the culprit for me because no matter how slowly I smoke, It's like niagra falls in the shank as early as the first 1/4th of the bowl.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
A calabash for sure. Never tried reverse.

a system pipe in a way sort of works like a reverse calabash.
I have a knock off p-system (Maro Well) that I've played around with just inserting the stem enough to hold on in order to maximize the mortise chamber space. It kinda seemed to make for a cooler dryer smoke, but I'm not sure if it's for real or just psychosomatic. I'll have to try it again soon.

Reactions: BROBS

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
A Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob might help you.

That's what I'm smoking as it type this message, a Missouri Pride cob. Smokes just fine with my cadence, I own 6 cobs and they make up more than a third of my current rotation. The only downside is the bottom of the bowl. If MM made pipes with briar inserts that didn't turn acrid near the bottom they'd be the only pipe I'd smoke.

A calabash for sure. Never tried reverse.

a system pipe in a way sort of works like a reverse calabash.

I had one system pipe over a decade ago, it was a Jobey OOM Paul( A brand I heard mixed opinions on). It gurgled like nothing else, but I suppose it sometimes gave me a dry smoke ever now and then since it caught all that moisture. To be clear, I'm not a "wet smoker" like I hear some say, who claim their saliva goes down the stem. This moisture is purely from the fast puffing.

Reactions: rushx9

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That's what I'm smoking as it type this message, a Missouri Pride cob. Smokes just fine with my cadence, I own 6 cobs and they make up more than a third of my current rotation. The only downside is the bottom of the bowl. If MM made pipes with briar inserts that didn't turn acrid near the bottom they'd be the only pipe I'd smoke.

I had one system pipe over a decade ago, it was a Jobey OOM Paul( A brand I heard mixed opinions on). It gurgled like nothing else, but I suppose it sometimes gave me a dry smoke ever now and then since it caught all that moisture. To be clear, I'm not a "wet smoker" like I hear some say, who claim their saliva goes down the stem. This moisture is purely from the fast puffing.
A Jobey isn’t a system pipe. Look at Peterson, Grabow Omega, or a Savinelli Dry System.

Reactions: rushx9

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I’m pretty sure I work with that guy. We’ll light up our pipes after lunch and you’ll swear you’re sitting beside an old steam train stoking its boiler. He puffs so hard and fast that a bowl lasts him 12 minutes at the most. I’m still bewildered every time I see it.
Those guys were smoking clay pipes, so maybe that's your answer for which pipes to use for fast smoking. There is no risk of burning wood or other flammable materials.