PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Noted, good sir. Why would you recommend avoiding anything with dark fired? This was such a vague response.

"Commander, where should we park the ship..?"

"Somewhere over there......."

-Darth Vaguer
I get a strong sense of smoke from dark fired. To me, if you're trying to get something without smoke, you should avoid it.

It's great stuff but, to me, smokey.

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
Much respect for any and all grunts. I was in the Marines, but in a comms/support role for 1st battalion 6th Marines in Afghantistan 2009ish. I was humbled to say the least in what I saw from weapons and alpha companies, and will always have a special place in my heart for the grunt.

That being said, yes, a Newport and a dip with a ripit (lol) was a daily driver.
Man, ripits. The citrus flavored one was my pick. The dollar stores in my area actually sell them! But the ones we used to get were still full strength, but came in the little squat cans, for transport purposes to overseas, I'm sure. When the ripits ran out in between re supply, we would get jacked up on pre workout before missions. Best job I ever had.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
HH Burley Flake might fill the bill. Full, smooth but with a nice lightly robust character. Solani Aged Burley Flake would be another to try.

Reactions: vosBghos

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
We can all guess at what non-latakia varietals might scratch your itch, but they're all so different than latakia that you won't know till you try whether any of them do it for you.

The three best suggestions are DFK, Orientals, and Perique.
Three bulk tobaccos you could try, respectively, are ODF, Oriental Silk, and Match Victorian.

These aren't latakia substitutes. Just different varietals that you may or may not wind up liking in a different way.

If you don't wind up liking any of these, it's worth noting that many latakia lovers gravitate eventually to Virginias, and may even feel burnt on latakia. This doesn't happen to everybody. And when it does, it make take years, or in some cases decades.

If and when you want to try straight VAs, HH Pure Virginia may be what you'd look for -- not as sweet as some, with some deeper, fuller, more savory flavors going on.

Reactions: vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
There are so many areas to explore coming away from Latakia but as others have noted darker G&H stuff has big flavor and a good amount of smoke and nicotine, Kendal Dark, Dark Birdseye, and Kendal Kentucky, can all be got in small quantities on the cheap from SP to sample. I like a lat bomb here and there but enjoy all the G&H stuff for a stout smoke daily.

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
A different direction: English aromatics. That is, aromatic tobaccos with Latakia. My favorite is Sillem's Black which is a blend of Black Cavendish, Burley, Latakia and Virginia.

1679937470162.png

It falls in between the smokiness of a typical Latakia blend and the sweetness of an aromatic.

Another example was Shortcut to Mushrooms, which I liked very much. Unfortunately, it was discontinued by Just for Him in favor of Bombadil, which is Burley, Latakia, Perique and Virginia. To me, it's much more of a typical aromatic. Not too much of a fan.

Reactions: JRW11b and OSOBUCO

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
It should be noted that if you're going to branch away from Latakia, you're likely to get into heavier nicotine territory, so be prepared for that, especially if youre gravitating towards the full bodied stuff. Outside of Latakia, the really full bodied blends tend to employ either DFK or Perique.

I'd recommend Old Joe Krantz for a Perique and Burley, full bodied smoke. That stuff got me to quit a pack a day habit a few years ago. It doesn't lack flavor, or nicotine, and is as full bodied as a blend can get outside of some GH Dark Birdseye.

Reactions: JRW11b

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
It should be noted that if you're going to branch away from Latakia, you're likely to get into heavier nicotine territory, so be prepared for that, especially if youre gravitating towards the full bodied stuff. Outside of Latakia, the really full bodied blends tend to employ either DFK or Perique.

I'd recommend Old Joe Krantz for a Perique and Burley, full bodied smoke. That stuff got me to quit a pack a day habit a few years ago. It doesn't lack flavor, or nicotine, and is as full bodied as a blend can get outside of some GH Dark Birdseye.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm coming to pipe smoking as a pretty avid cigar smoker of pretty heavy duty maduro cigars, smoking at least 2 a day. I'm def not afraid of a good nic hit. I've been eyeing that OJK for a while now, so thanks for that suggestion. Also, congrats on kicking that cig habit.

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
There are so many areas to explore coming away from Latakia but as others have noted darker G&H stuff has big flavor and a good amount of smoke and nicotine, Kendal Dark, Dark Birdseye, and Kendal Kentucky, can all be got in small quantities on the cheap from SP to sample. I like a lat bomb here and there but enjoy all the G&H stuff for a stout smoke daily.
I've got some Dark Birdseye as well as some HH Old Dark Fired incoming in a day or so, I'm pretty excited about that.

Reactions: BarrelProof

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Noted! Thank you for the recommendation!! I've heard people mention some burley blends taste like a cigarette, do you experience this?
all pipe tobacco tastes kind of like cigs. But generally burly unless it's the cheapest stuff (like where do you buy that crap kind of cheapest) doesn't taste like cigs too much. I get more of a cigarish taste out of burly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Get a good quality Virginia or burley, whichever you like best, and a few condimental tobaccos like unflavored black Cavendish, Turkish, other orientals, cigar leaf, dark fired, Perique, etc., and do your own blends, tweaking the proportions a bowl or two at a time, to see what you like best. That way, you don't have to sample a bunch of blends you find you don't like. It's one of the great luxuries of pipes. You can't do that with cigars unless you learn to roll your own.

• Love

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
Get a good quality Virginia or burley, whichever you like best, and a few condimental tobaccos like unflavored black Cavendish, Turkish, other orientals, cigar leaf, dark fired, Perique, etc., and do your own blends, tweaking the proportions a bowl or two at a time, to see what you like best. That way, you don't have to sample a bunch of blends you find you don't like. It's one of the great luxuries of pipes. You can't do that with cigars unless you learn to roll your own.
I absolutely LOVE the idea of blending my own. Thats a rabbit hole I'm positive I will be living in sometime in the near future.

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023

Ordered some OJK. Thanks for the recommendation, had my eye on it for a bit now.

Reactions: BarrelProof