PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
What are some non English blends to a new pipe smoker who has definitely taken a liking to English blends. I love the full bodied, earthy, woody, smoky profile I get from them. However, I'm looking for something also full bodied, but without the latakia, smoky note.

Thank you in advance!

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
Aromatics? I don't smoke much aromatics, but some are full body.
I should have noted in my post that I'm not interested in aromatics, but maybe that might change later down the road?

UpArrow

Lurker
Dec 13, 2022
Bengal Slices Black label answers that bell for me. Has a brisk quality to it while lacking the smokey Lat character.

Reactions: JRW11b

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
I've had great luck with HH Burley Flake: nutty, earthy, creamy. To me, I prefer it to Old Dark Fired, but, I enjoy both.
Noted! Thank you for the recommendation!! I've heard people mention some burley blends taste like a cigarette, do you experience this?

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
Dark Fired Kentucky is like American Latakia. I’d try GL Pease Jackknife Plug, GL Pease Sixpence and any blend with a good amount of DFK. G&H makes some great ones.

Depending if you want Lakeland: Coniston and Bosun.

If you don’t: Dark Birdseye and Kendal Kentucky. Sit down for those smokes though. They’ll knock you out.

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
Noted! Thank you for the recommendation!! I've heard people mention some burley blends taste like a cigarette, do you experience this?
I smoked cigarettes while in the military, but can't remember their taste really. I'm ashamed to say, I smoked Newports primarily. Interesting to think back on taste. I don't think so with most of the burley blends i've tried, although perhaps a little with Haunted Bookshop.

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
I smoked cigarettes while in the military, but can't remember their taste really. I'm ashamed to say, I smoked Newports primarily. Interesting to think back on taste. I don't think so with most of the burley blends i've tried, although perhaps a little with Haunted Bookshop.
Brother, I was an infantryman in the Army, I also smoked newport 100s AND used to dip at the same time. Good to know. Either way I'll def give the burley leaf a shot.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Brother, I was an infantryman in the Army, I also smoked newport 100s AND used to dip at the same time. Good to know. Either way I'll def give the burley leaf a shot.

I assure you the burley won’t taste like a Newport!

I can kinda see it every now and then, but I feel like if you aren’t inhaling it’s different enough. Every now and then if I inhale some, it’s the Virginias that remind me more of cigarettes.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'd actually recommend avoiding anything with dark fired.

For strong and full bodied try some plugs or ropes. A good VaPer also might fit the bill.

GH&C Happy Brown Bogie is a rope I really like.

• Sad

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
I'd actually recommend avoiding anything with dark fired.

For strong and full bodied try some plugs or ropes. A good VaPer also might fit the bill.

GH&C Happy Brown Bogie is a rope I really like

Noted, good sir. Why would you recommend avoiding anything with dark fired? This was such a vague response.

"Commander, where should we park the ship..?"

"Somewhere over there......."

-Darth Vaguer

• Haha
Reactions: shanez

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
Much respect for any and all grunts. I was in the Marines, but in a comms/support role for 1st battalion 6th Marines in Afghantistan 2009ish. I was humbled to say the least in what I saw from weapons and alpha companies, and will always have a special place in my heart for the grunt.

That being said, yes, a Newport and a dip with a ripit (lol) was a daily driver.