PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
. . . microwaved, day old Cafe Bustello . . . .
Anyone besides me saves coffee and microwaves a day or week later? :). 'Course I'll doctor the old crap up with cinammon, cream, or vodka, whisky, rum (haven't tried gin?)--whatever I'm pouring later in the day? Probably sounds yucky but I'm lazy and don't like throwing it out if I don't finish the large fr.press, not kidding! Think "No Country for Old Men" and that kitchen scene with the old half-full coffee maker sitting on that nasty-ass rickety kitchen counter :)

I"m having a ball reading all these threads! Almost as much fun as a bowl full of has...err, I meant haddo's :). Besides, all that other stuff was decades ago :)

Thanks guys/gals for giving me fun-
mike

p.s. Disregard my taste. What can I say??? I've had piss twice-neither on purpose. Once likely very fresh since it was real warm and the other cooler. I hate to say, "cooler's better," but I can SURE SAY, "warmer's worse!" :-( The setting--squad bay on Parris Island (somebody didn't like me!) so I started sleeping lightly--with my canteen near my noggin way back when--unforgettable for me until dementia takes over!
sippin'day old decaf with a big dose of cat piss in it :) and smilin'
mike

Reactions: LOREN and kg.legat0

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I don't know... I've heard this repeatedly by people who actually work in the industry for years now. Like the last place I heard it was Test Kitchens. Just look at the bags it comes in. It will say breakfast blend, lighter roast, and the little scales will show that it has more caffeine. The darker roast blends always show the little scales as being less caffeine. Would all of the roasters lie to us?

If you have to use more weight of the grounds to equal the caffeine from lighter roasts, that tells me that there is significantly less caffeine in darker roasts, and you have to make up for it by using a lot more grounds.
They always told me the whole 'caffeine gets roasted out' spiel and I also know what you mean with the little graph on there ...the volume/water weight factor makes sense but makes me feel that the little indicator on the bags of coffee are misleading...let alone that I was just told the wrong thing for years.

They always told me the whole 'caffeine gets roasted out' spiel and I also know what you mean with the little graph on there ...the volume/water weight factor makes sense but makes me feel that the little indicator on the bags of coffee are misleading...let alone that I was just told the wrong thing for years.
There's still caffeine in darker roasts, just not as much as in lighter roasts. Someone who prefers the taste of darker roasts isn't exactly drinking Sanka or anything. Heck, even Sanka has a little caffeine in it.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Since I got curious today, I also asked Sweet Marias coffee bean seller for many years in CA. Here's their response on roast levels and caffeine content:

"The roast level does not affect the caffeine content in a very big way. Traditional knowledge tells us lighter roasted coffee has more caffeine, however, darker roasted coffee is more extracted when brewing- so it's hard to really tell."

Thought I'd throw it in the "hopper" :)
mike

I like dark roasts. I also like lighter roasts. It is possible to like both.

I am not a coffee connoisseur though - I get whatever the local Costco sells, which in our case a very wide variety.
Another selection criteria is packaging. Since my wife does most of the groceries, and she does not drink coffee, she often picks up bags which look nice.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Anyone besides me saves coffee and microwaves a day or week later? :). 'Course I'll doctor the old crap up with cinammon, cream, or vodka, whisky, rum (haven't tried gin?)--whatever I'm pouring later in the day? Probably sounds yucky but I'm lazy and don't like throwing it out if I don't finish the large fr.press, not kidding! Think "No Country for Old Men" and that kitchen scene with the old half-full coffee maker sitting on that nasty-ass rickety kitchen counter :)

I"m having a ball reading all these threads! Almost as much fun as a bowl full of has...err, I meant haddo's :). Besides, all that other stuff was decades ago :)

Thanks guys/gals for giving me fun-
mike

p.s. Disregard my taste. What can I say??? I've had piss twice-neither on purpose. Once likely very fresh since it was real warm and the other cooler. I hate to say, "cooler's better," but I can SURE SAY, "warmer's worse!" :-( The setting--squad bay on Parris Island (somebody didn't like me!) so I started sleeping lightly--with my canteen near my noggin way back when--unforgettable for me until dementia takes over!
sippin'day old decaf with a big dose of cat piss in it :) and smilin'
mike
Please
Don’t try gin.

• Haha
Reactions: Reggie and macaroni

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I don't know... I've heard this repeatedly by people who actually work in the industry for years now. Like the last place I heard it was Test Kitchens. Just look at the bags it comes in. It will say breakfast blend, lighter roast, and the little scales will show that it has more caffeine. The darker roast blends always show the little scales as being less caffeine. Would all of the roasters lie to us?

If you have to use more weight of the grounds to equal the caffeine from lighter roasts, that tells me that there is significantly less caffeine in darker roasts, and you have to make up for it by using a lot more grounds.
You've got your terminology mixed up. You need more VOLUME of dark roast to equal the caffeine of light roast. If you were to compare them by WEIGHT, then the amount of caffeine is more or less the same. I saw the same article by America's Test Kitchen, which is one of my go-to sources for many culinary topics. They stated as much in the article. Again, if you are measuring by volume (2 tbsp, for instance), then there is a disparity in caffeine, but if you were to measure by weight (say, 30 gr), then there is, on the whole, no difference.

Most coffeemakers give guidance based on weight, so for most people, in practice, light roast has more caffeine, simply because they are using more coffee (by mass) per cup to make the coffee.

Here's another relevant anecdote: Apparently Beethoven was obsessive about his daily cup of coffee to the point that he counted out 60 beans/per cup every day. I wonder if he made any sort of adjustments when he had a darker roast on hand?

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
You've got your terminology mixed up. You need more VOLUME of dark roast to equal the caffeine of light roast. If you were to compare them by WEIGHT, then the amount of caffeine is more or less the same. I saw the same article by America's Test Kitchen, which is one of my go-to sources for many culinary topics. They stated as much in the article. Again, if you are measuring by volume (2 tbsp, for instance), then there is a disparity in caffeine, but if you were to measure by weight (say, 30 gr), then there is, on the whole, no difference.

Most coffeemakers give guidance based on weight, so for most people, in practice, light roast has more caffeine, simply because they are using more coffee (by mass) per cup to make the coffee.

Here's another relevant anecdote: Apparently Beethoven was obsessive about his daily cup of coffee to the point that he counted out 60 beans/per cup every day. I wonder if he made any sort of adjustments when he had a darker roast on hand?
Must've been frustrating to be so meticulous about the coffee, yet not even be able to hear the kettle whistling...

• Haha
Reactions: musicman
Aug 1, 2012
I use dark roast as I drink nothing but espresso and cappuccino.
The light roast folks are choosing their own path. For pour over I might use a medium roast of a very expensive select bean that has passed through seven virgins and roasted in an oxygen free oven. But I can afford this only every few years.

Statements like this: "I know I sound like a complete snob when I say this, but I have no choice. Dark roasted coffee is not coffee. It is a different beverage entirely, and an inferior one at that."

Has a poor ring to it. For the poster, he prefers a different roast and bean, but there's no need to bash other's tastes and druthers. And of course he had a choice!
Thank you. I am happy that some people have found their way to enjoy their coffee. I just would prefer if they let me enjoy it my way as well without the insults.

For me, light roasted coffee is far too acidic and only makes me feel sick. The darker roasted ones allow me to enjoy my coffee without a stomach ache. That's me though.

It's like so many things. Steak, coffee, beer, cheese, tobacco, you name it. Some think they have the answer and want to discredit anyone who disagrees with their opinion. Others have their preferences and are not too concerned with trying to make everyone think like they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.