PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
In general - dark coffee has stronger flavor but less caffeine. That is general but will differ by varietal. Dark coffee beans are often lighter in weight so might have more volume to make equal weight in preparation. There are lots of factors. Plus people looking for lighter roasts often are looking for a lighter overall brew so they may use less coffee to water.

Dark coffee has less caffeine, and it is why breakfast blends tend to look more watery, because they have more caffeine. The explanation I have heard was that cooking a bean to make it darker and stronger in flavor destroys the molecules of the drug.

Just like adding toppings, cooking tobaccos, and in general just doing more crap to it destroys the nicotine, or at least our ability to absorb it.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Darker roasts are kind of like Latakia...the roasting caramelizes sugars and you taste the chocolate/brown sugar profile all the way up to BBQ-burnt. But just like Latakia is more the cure (flavor) than the leaf, the darker the roast it's more the roast than the bean profile you taste. The more you cook a bean the more oils/extracts it exudes....hence the shiny appearance of dark roasts. Caffeine is being reduced in that process. So again like Latakia....'taste' is very perceptible with darker roasts, and often 'full' in profile. As palates and experience open up people may drift to the acid/floral/ citrus of lighter roasts.....but zero wrong with dark roasts.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I'm not sure I understand people who drink stronger flavored coffees any more than people who smoke aromatic blends that have no nicotine. Or, people who drink near beers or sparkling grape juice. Or meat shaped tofu. It all sort of seems like the same thing to me. puffy
Or Grape Nuts cereal which consists of neither grapes nor nuts. It’s a strange world indeed, Cos.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
dark roast coffee typically has less caffeine content as it has been 'roasted out' but will have a strong flavor ...i like dark roasts because i like the stronger flavors, drink coffee black and can ultimately drink more coffee before beginning to visibly vibrate hehe...
Same. Haha. I also probably put way more coffee in the filter than most I fill it halfway to 2/3 full with ground bean.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I want my coffee to have so much caffeine in it, I could thread a sewing machine running full blast. puffy
Haha I’m about volume. So dark coffee has better flavors (many light roasts when brewed smell like cat piss), and I can drink a pot of it without having heart failure.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I know I sound like a complete snob when I say this, but I have no choice. Dark roasted coffee is not coffee. It is a different beverage entirely, and an inferior one at that. Over-roasted coffee destroys all flavor subtlety in the beans, and makes them overly acidic. This is why many people experience stomach aches when drinking dark roasts. These acids (and oils) really come out when the beans sit for a long time e.g. Starbucks. Properly roasted coffee will give you a wide "strength" spectrum while still providing excellent flavor, without the unpleasant stuff that overroasted beans come with. Alana's coffee roasters in Los Angeles is a fine example of what I mean by "light roast."

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I know I sound like a complete snob when I say this, but I have no choice. Dark roasted coffee is not coffee. It is a different beverage entirely, and an inferior one at that. Over-roasted coffee destroys all flavor subtlety in the beans, and makes them overly acidic. This is why many people experience stomach aches when drinking dark roasts. These acids (and oils) really come out when the beans sit for a long time e.g. Starbucks. Properly roasted coffee will give you a wide "strength" spectrum while still providing excellent flavor, without the unpleasant stuff that overroasted beans come with. Alana's coffee roasters in Los Angeles is a fine example of what I mean by "light roast."
Does it smell like coyote spray?

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
I'm not sure I understand people who drink stronger flavored coffees any more than people who smoke aromatic blends that have no nicotine. Or, people who drink near beers or sparkling grape juice. Or meat shaped tofu. It all sort of seems like the same thing to me. puffy
I have always drank dark roast because I love the flavor and was told that it has less acid ? Can’t take the heartburn...

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
What's considered flavor is subjective though. Dark roasts will all start to taste the same regardless of where the bean came from or it's quality as the flavor just goes to those charred flavors. You get more flavor of the bean with the light/medium roasts as you maintain more of the local characteristics of where it was grown. A mouthful of charred coffee bean taste is just a whole lot of charred flavor to me and nothing I want to drink. Light/medium roasts from different countries give me all sorts of different flavor varietals to enjoy.

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
What's considered flavor is subjective though. Dark roasts will all start to taste the same regardless of where the bean came from or it's quality as the flavor just goes to those charred flavors. You get more flavor of the bean with the light/medium roasts as you maintain more of the local characteristics of where it was grown. A mouthful of charred coffee bean taste is just a whole lot of charred flavor to me and nothing I want to drink. Light/medium roasts from different countries give me all sorts of different flavor varietals to enjoy.
Interesting! Thank you for the correct perspective. I shall revisit my coffee bean selection. Ignorance has been bliss in the past though.

Status
Not open for further replies.