Dangers Of MacB HH Blends With FDA Regs?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
MacBaren is a pretty big outfit. They sell an awful lot of pipe tobacco. $10K may seem like a lot to you, but I would bet it is not as much to MacBaren. I can't imagine that they have not been considering this.
Or they can sell to their biggest market (Europe) for free.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet

True but they’ll do that anyway. They have a strong market here. I’m not sure how blends like St. Bruno stand, since MacB has only manufactured it since 2013. Also 3 nuns.
It will be interesting to see what C&D & GLP do. Some of their post 2007 blends have quite a following so they may choose to continue them.

I wonder how limited production products fit in? It’s a big thing in the cigar world too, I think.

Reactions: BROBS

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
For me the EU prices and limited availability make cellaring not worth it. I therefore follow a "buy 2 tins, save 1 for later" principle.

While I've built a limited cellar this way, it is more about having a broad everyday selection available to choose from, rather than being safe for the future.

I'll be enjoying pipe smoking as long as it is still available and as much as just possible, so that when it eventually comes to an end it will have been worth it.

With the current economic turbulences I would not want to spend so much money an uncertain future, as others have mentioned before. Interests and external factors could change any day after all.

I think Mac Baren will stick around on the US market, the fees might seem high but I doubt they'll limit their range even further than time already does/has.

Reactions: ofafeather

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Are they really going to have to pay $10k per blend? Isn't there a standard equivalent workaround or something?

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Are they really going to have to pay $10k per blend? Isn't there a standard equivalent workaround or something?
Rustica, what was it...$20 a tin? 7100 tins. They sell it to the retailer for what...$15? That is $106500. MacBaren will not have any trouble paying 10k a blend if it is a seller.

I would not be worried about the blends that sell, I am concerned with the ones that don’t and the continuation of states banning tobacco sales via internet.

Oct 7, 2016
Not really, but they have already incurred/budgeted for EU “track and trace” regs, which is a bigger deal than people realize, particularly on this side of the Atlantic.

Tobacco was first subject to tariffs in 1603. Shortly afterwards, rules peculiar to it started to be enacted to prevent smuggling/adulteration. Cost of compliance is just a line item to companies that have been in business for a lengthy period. They are used to it. Blends will disappear, but that hasn’t changed since I started smoking a pipe in the late 1970’s. Costs will go up, but that has been a constant, too. Decreasing alternatives in the supply chain for raw leaf has been a factor for at least a couple of decades.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I would not be worried about the blends that sell, I am concerned with the ones that don’t and the continuation of states banning tobacco sales via internet.

That sounds true. It's not likely the popular blends will die. It will be the blends that haven't built a major following that are at greatest risk, even if they're well regarded.

I look at what happened to Dunhill. It must have cost a pretty penny to buy the rights to those blends and STG went with only the most popular of them. Personally I miss London Mixture and Dark Flake but I expect they just didn't have the kind of following needed.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
That sounds true. It's not likely the popular blends will die. It will be the blends that haven't built a major following that are at greatest risk, even if they're well regarded.

I look at what happened to Dunhill. It must have cost a pretty penny to buy the rights to those blends and STG went with only the most popular of them. Personally I miss London Mixture and Dark Flake but I expect they just didn't have the kind of following needed.
I know. Aperitif and Durbar are big losses, too. On the up side, I discovered I really like Royal Yacht, lol. Wish I knew that back when it was $6 a tin!

Reactions: doro and logs

Razorback

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2019
Atlanta, GA

Dark Flake is already back in production and is available in the UK. Hopefully it will return to the USA soon.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Rustica, what was it...$20 a tin? 7100 tins. They sell it to the retailer for what...$15? That is $106500. MacBaren will not have any trouble paying 10k a blend if it is a seller.

How much of that $106,500 is actually profit? Usually a company is doing pretty good to make a 20% profit which means the 10k will eat up nearly half of that. Theoretically they'd have to raise prices I suppose.

Reactions: Casual and 3rdguy

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
One of many blends for them that sell well. They are huge, I just do not see it being a problem for the larger companies stateside for that cost.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I built the majority of my cellar in 2012 -2013 it was for a few reasons. First being I wanted to be able to smoke my favorites and not deal with certain blends being discontinued. Two of my favorites were dusted. I also knew it tobacco would never be cheaper back then and I really like the flavors I get from aged tobacco.

Also with the FDA chirping, you never know what those assholes will do so why take chances I said. Many on this site called me a paranoid, the sky is falling jerk. They might well be right but I paid 9.99-10.99 for 65 3.5 oz tins of Mac Baren Old Dark Fired, what is the price today?????
I also was able to buy all of my favorites fast and with no limits. The prices I paid back then are anywhere from 15-30 percent higher today give or take a buck here or there. That means I got a lot of free tins compared to prices now.
I think if Covid hadn't come along the FDA would have stuck it to us already. They are going to be busy for years so we got a break. I live in a state that has an 85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco, a b/m was never and option as I don't pay taxes like that.

We all know eventually some government agency is going to stop tobacco sales on line, when that happens people will have to get creative. It would be similar to how Cuban cigars are brought into this country. We are sitting ducks to any group unless the pipe tobacco mfgs. get their heads out of their asses and hire lobbyists like the cigar guys did. The cigar tobacco tax in Florida is ZERO, NADA, Zilch while pipe smokers take it in the ass at 85%. Gee how did that happen?Oh yeah politics 101, bribe the right people and get pics of them screwing sheep.

Status
Not open for further replies.