Dangers Of MacB HH Blends With FDA Regs?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
The cigar tobacco tax in Florida is ZERO, NADA, Zilch while pipe smokers take it in the ass at 85%.
Yeah, it’s pretty amazing. In NY pipe tobacco got lumped in with “other tobacco products” at 75% while cigars are 25%. I won’t buy in NY if I can avoid it, which sucks for everyone involved. If it were 25% I would be much more likely to buy stuff here. If I do go to a B&M, not that there are any close by anymore, I might buy a tin or two to be supportive but no major purchases.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
When I built the majority of my cellar in 2012 -2013 it was for a few reasons. First being I wanted to be able to smoke my favorites and not deal with certain blends being discontinued. Two of my favorites were dusted. I also knew it tobacco would never be cheaper back then and I really like the flavors I get from aged tobacco.

Also with the FDA chirping, you never know what those assholes will do so why take chances I said. Many on this site called me a paranoid, the sky is falling jerk. They might well be right but I paid 9.99-10.99 for 65 3.5 oz tins of Mac Baren Old Dark Fired, what is the price today?????
I also was able to buy all of my favorites fast and with no limits. The prices I paid back then are anywhere from 15-30 percent higher today give or take a buck here or there. That means I got a lot of free tins compared to prices now.
I think if Covid hadn't come along the FDA would have stuck it to us already. They are going to be busy for years so we got a break. I live in a state that has an 85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco, a b/m was never and option as I don't pay taxes like that.

We all know eventually some government agency is going to stop tobacco sales on line, when that happens people will have to get creative. It would be similar to how Cuban cigars are brought into this country. We are sitting ducks to any group unless the pipe tobacco mfgs. get their heads out of their asses and hire lobbyists like the cigar guys did. The cigar tobacco tax in Florida is ZERO, NADA, Zilch while pipe smokers take it in the ass at 85%. Gee how did that happen?Oh yeah politics 101, bribe the right people and get pics of them screwing sheep.
Those weren’t sheep, they were GOATS.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I had the opinion that it is you Americans holding the fort. Population-wise the EU has more people but I haven't searched for estimates of pipe smoking.

I don't know man, it's pretty hard to top Denmark for pipe smokers.

Reactions: ofafeather

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
None of us know with certainty what the future actually holds in relation to pipe tobacco.... however, I am very confident that in relation to availability and ease of acquisition - we are already on the downward slope, and travelling fast.

Even in these times of uncertainty, I'd still almost wager my house at short odds, that It certainly isn't going to get any easier to aquire.

We reached "peak availability / accessibility" in approx 2018 by my observation.

You'll see new blends (limited releases) come to market... and you may feel a sense of optimism about the state of things.... but there are legally strategic reasons for manufacturers doing that. My point is more that physically acquiring the blends, and putting them in your cellar will become harder day by day.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
When I built the majority of my cellar in 2012 -2013 it was for a few reasons. First being I wanted to be able to smoke my favorites and not deal with certain blends being discontinued. Two of my favorites were dusted. I also knew it tobacco would never be cheaper back then and I really like the flavors I get from aged tobacco.

Also with the FDA chirping, you never know what those assholes will do so why take chances I said. Many on this site called me a paranoid, the sky is falling jerk. They might well be right but I paid 9.99-10.99 for 65 3.5 oz tins of Mac Baren Old Dark Fired, what is the price today?????
I also was able to buy all of my favorites fast and with no limits. The prices I paid back then are anywhere from 15-30 percent higher today give or take a buck here or there. That means I got a lot of free tins compared to prices now.
I think if Covid hadn't come along the FDA would have stuck it to us already. They are going to be busy for years so we got a break. I live in a state that has an 85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco, a b/m was never and option as I don't pay taxes like that.

We all know eventually some government agency is going to stop tobacco sales on line, when that happens people will have to get creative. It would be similar to how Cuban cigars are brought into this country. We are sitting ducks to any group unless the pipe tobacco mfgs. get their heads out of their asses and hire lobbyists like the cigar guys did. The cigar tobacco tax in Florida is ZERO, NADA, Zilch while pipe smokers take it in the ass at 85%. Gee how did that happen?Oh yeah politics 101, bribe the right people and get pics of them screwing sheep.
Simple solution, instead of packaging pipe tobacco in tins and pouches, wrap it in a leaf or even a roll of reconstituted tobacco paper and sell it as a cigar.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
I think that’s the final date when they would have to be gone if they haven’t filed the proper paperwork and paid the fees etc.
it’s all very confusing... certainly on purpose.
Thanks. It's a strange thing to have to go all-in on a hobby you're still coming up to speed on, as I am. It feels a bit like...

Person #1: What is this?

Person #2: It's bourbon.

Person #1: I kind of like it.

Person #2: Than you should go buy 30 years worth.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I wouldn't be surprised if Mac Baren went through the deeming process for Old Dark Fired. But like others are saying, it definitely depends on whether it makes financial sense for the company.

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.