Dangers Of MacB HH Blends With FDA Regs?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
48 Fresh Neerup Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokey789

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Western Pennsylvania
Seems to me, if you like it that much and have the money, just do it. It won't go to waste. If they do or do not ship any more, it won't matter. If you run out, you will have to find another blend or another way. I don't think you can lose, unless you don't have the extra money. No blend is worth losing your car or house over.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The fees are very expensive. $10K? I think a businessman would have to judge a blend as providing extraordinary earnings before paying that price upfront-and that's for just one blend. MB's HH series have been excellent, but my guess is that they will pass away and businesss will try to find a way around that loss.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Guess I’m stocking up. Yeah, money is a thing. I’ve stocked up on a lot of blends, not just ones that will be effected because I have some cash now and eventually they will all be a lot more expensive and harder to get when everyone starts collecting NY excise tax which is 75% on pipe tobacco.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The fees are very expensive. $10K? I think a businessman would have to judge a blend as providing extraordinary earnings before paying that price upfront-and that's for just one blend. MB's HH series have been excellent, but my guess is that they will pass away and businesss will try to find a way around that loss.
MacBaren is a pretty big outfit. They sell an awful lot of pipe tobacco. $10K may seem like a lot to you, but I would bet it is not as much to MacBaren. I can't imagine that they have not been considering this.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
MacBaren is a pretty big outfit. They sell an awful lot of pipe tobacco. $10K may seem like a lot to you, but I would bet it is not as much to MacBaren. I can't imagine that they have not been considering this.
The numbers I’ve seen guessed are all over the place. And yes, if it was 10k per blend, that means the entire HH line will come in at under 1 FTE Year for one well paid employee. Seems reasonable to pay that for access to a big market for popular blends.

But the numbers all seem invented. Who knows what will happen?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013

I agree that MB thrives. But the biggest part of thriving is making money, and a 60K hit for the 6? HH blends has to support that. So I guess the question is how long will it take for the sales of those blends to repay the 60K? I'm thinking years. Does it make sense to MB to carry that loss in support of the long-term?

I don't know. I'm not a business person.

The numbers I’ve seen guessed are all over the place. And yes, if it was 10k per blend, that means the entire HH line will come in at under 1 FTE Year for one well paid employee. Seems reasonable to pay that for access to a big market for popular blends.

But the numbers all seem invented. Who knows what will happen?

This is like what I was think,ing. MB pays to continue to sell their blends. They demonstrate the power to thrive amidst regulation, and by this make more money

But business goes by the maxim of "more." Make more and more money or get out and find another business that provides for acquisition and greed. What's the point of being in business
unless at least the dream if not the actuality of getting rich is available?

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Guess we’ll find out. I wonder, too, about old blends that are produced by new manufacturers. The Dunhill/Peterson line comes to mind. Of course all of those blends would be worth $10k (if that’s what the cost is) to continue to produce based on the huge volume they sell.

Reactions: dcon and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.