PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Then I assume you will be an avid poster - goodness we could all do with a break from the ....19th century meerschaum 'cutty' with amber/vulcanite/Jello stem.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@simong: The sand blast one with the foot is rather nice. As for the 'Old Queen' do you remember The Two Ronnies and the shoe menders shop with the sign 'Cobblers to The Queen'. I believe it appeared in The Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town if my memory serves me correctly.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
@simong: The sand blast one with the foot is rather nice. As for the 'Old Queen' do you remember The Two Ronnies and the shoe menders shop with the sign 'Cobblers to The Queen'. I believe it appeared in The Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town if my memory serves me correctly.
I do indeed! Lol
Happy memories watching that show with the family. ?image.gif

Last edited:

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
@paulfg : That is the tip of the proverbial 'iceberg' as I have several cabinets full of the things along with a couple of large silver bowls. It would take you 2/3rds of a years to rotate through my collection 'cutty' pipes!
I was questioning Simon g not you.
I wasnt aware he has increased his rotation so much.
but I also didnt realise you had so many cutty's although I had seen the above picture on your blog.
I have a lot of catching up to do before I get to your number.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
My mistake. You know Paul quite a few of the 'cutty' pipes I have purchased over the years have come from Greece. As to collecting you have to be careful since if you buy so many that you just don't ever get around to smoking them. I have a few monster sized examples which I really should just sell on since I am never going to smoke them. I also have a few historical ones that were owned by someone famous from the 19th century. Again I tend not to smoke those very often.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
My mistake. You know Paul quite a few of the 'cutty' pipes I have purchased over the years have come from Greece. As to collecting you have to be careful since if you buy so many that you just don't ever get around to smoking them. I have a few monster sized examples which I really should just sell on since I am never going to smoke them. I also have a few historical ones that were owned by someone famous from the 19th century. Again I tend not to smoke those very often.
I have 8 meers at the moment including 1 claw & egg and 1 that is unsmoked I would call a Dublin but maybe its a cutty .I dont know,it does have the heel spur.
All of my old meers are away for new bits as I have yet to aquire an old one with an intact Amber stem.

the Dublin? hallmarked 1892 and unsmoked

s-l500 (1).jpg

.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thats a very nice unsmoked meerschaum. Was the stem amber or amberine? You need a decent faux amber stem that screws into the bone tenon that looks like it is firmly glued into the shank. I would think that is how the stem got snapped by some dick head trying to unscrew it. I actually saw that one on eBay but since I have so many examples of that style I gave it a miss. Once it is fixed you should resist the temptation to take the pipe apart since if you wear the meerschaum threads in the shank you are really f*cked and your only options revolve around cementing the shank. Trust me on the point my friend but do enjoy such a beautiful pipe.