PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
This is a really tough choice. I'd be happy with either one. I'm voting for #1. The silver spigot and tortoise shell stem does it for me.

Reactions: alaskanpiper

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I think the tulip rim was an artifact of lazy workmanship that was embraced for business reasons by the companies who made clay pipes. (Very difficult to tilt the soft clay bowl without doing it)

Meaning historically "legit" doesn't mean it should have existed in the first place, aesthetically.

My opinion? A bean pot's place in the world is to contain beans, not tobacco.

rotf

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I really wish there was a more contrasting shot for One—what appears as a hard edge of the stem where it meets the metal of the spigot still bugs me; the Tulip shape on Two bothers me, but, I like the overall feel. I'm on the fence with this one and will need to think about it. I much preferred the one piece and the one with the bamboo shank and colourful stem much more than either of these.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Except the discussion isn’t about spigots, but shapes. Neither pipe qualifies as a historically accurate Cutty if shank is the limiter.
True but that silver is hard to overlook when considering the starker transition visuals from stem to bowl. A cutty to me is a simpler visual shape. So... you're almost right. nnnn

Status
Not open for further replies.