PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Both are finally crafted and well designed with very unique style and flare of their own. But, as I look at each and evaluate their individual merits, I see things that draw me to one more than the other. I love the Color palette and lines of two so much more than number one. I really don’t like the color of stem on number one; it absolutely contrasts with the color of the bowl- in my opinion. The spigot on one distracts from the overall aesthetics of the pipe. Don’t get me wrong, I love pipes with spigots. just doesn’t look good on this particular pipe. Anyone would be proud to own either one of these pipes.
I have to go with number two.

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
Pipe #1: Advancing by a stunning upset in the semifinals, this beautiful red blasted cutty comes with a carved keel sweeping to the front of the bowl to create a very nautical feel, a gleaming silver spigot turned in the artisan's own shop, and a classic tortoise shell bakelite stem.

Pipe #2: Dominating it's competition round after round, this graceful and lithe black blasted cutty comes with a cocobolo wood shank extension and rippling ring grain advancing upward toward the beautiful smooth rim.

Best of luck to both participants. Cast your vote citizens of pipesmagazine! It's time to select a champion!

Some of these pipes are distinctive and the carver may be recognizable to many. Please try to avoid guessing the carver in the comments so as not to influence any voters, but feel free to comment on what you like and don't like about each one. Apparently they have done away with the poll feature here, so please cast your vote in a comment and I will count them when the threads begin to naturally slow down.

View attachment 202309View attachment 202310View attachment 202311View attachment 202312View attachment 202313View attachment 202314View attachment 202315View attachment 202316View attachment 202317View attachment 202318View attachment 202319View attachment 202320View attachment 202321

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I'm still trying to get my head around someone "seeing" a pipe designed like this:

View attachment 202447

I just wanted pictures with a more contrasting background because the blown out highlights made it look like there might be some weird interfaces going on and I wasn’t 100% sure that other pictures that suggested it might be more normal wasn’t due to a reflection just making it look normal and it was indeed a weird choice made by the carver. Nording and Savinelli have both released some strange looking couplings where something narrow plugs into a larger flat faced surface. There’s no accounting for what funkiness might be created by a single artisan that is being “creative.”

Ideally, it would’ve been nice if all of the pipes were presented under the same neutral lighting conditions from a variety of matching angles—it would’ve been a more level playing field.

Status
Not open for further replies.