PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I'm hoping that the bureaucracy has realized that the administration of these regulations uses up far more resources than any benefit it could possibly produce would merit. There about twenty major issues that confront the U.S. at the moment, and the debauchery of pipe smokers ranks down there about ten thousandth, along with people who recycle the wrong plastics and people who cut the tags off their mattresses. For gosh sakes, let the old geezers (us old geezers) enjoy our blends, and when we're gone, you can say the pipes did it.
Hoping you are right, but the first rule of bureaucracy is to grow. Recent history demonstrates that major issues don’t get the attention they deserve as they are major and complex — it’s easier to show progress on minor issues. Smokers are easy targets.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Suppose the regulations were implemented fairly rigorously. I wonder how much less pipe tobacco would be smoked. Say there were only fifty blends left standing. There would be a definite decrease in sales, but I think there would still be a solid customer base. Most of us would keep smoking what was available, or grow our own, or both. Do you think the pipe and tobacco business would wither? Maybe, but not categorically.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Suppose the regulations were implemented fairly rigorously. I wonder how much less pipe tobacco would be smoked. Say there were only fifty blends left standing. There would be a definite decrease in sales, but I think there would still be a solid customer base. Most of us would keep smoking what was available, or grow our own, or both. Do you think the pipe and tobacco business would wither? Maybe, but not categorically.
Hard to say, it depends on the portion of the global market the US comprises. Fortunately for me, I've been pretty diligent over the last few years in building my store of favored tobaccos. Unless they come to the house and confiscate my cellar I'm pretty much immune from deeming regulation enforcement. Tobacco will never be cheaper or more available than it is today, now is the time to prepare for the coming rainy days.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many Forums members already have a lifetime supply on hand even if they Iive to an unusually advanced age. I would say a majority could coast on what they have for ten years, and longer if they cut down on their daily use.

My stash is far from huge, extremely modest by Forums standards, but I'm good for a decade anyway. And of course, I keep buying a few baggies or tins from time to time. Mostly, the membership here that worries about this is unlikely to be much affected by it. Young newbies might have to respond, on the supposition that they'll keep smoking, if that seems probable.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Source citation please? I've never seen a pothead rights site encouraging legislation against tobacco use.
I don't have any sources, but I have seen a great deal of people both on internet and real life discouraging tobacco use while heavily encouraging marijuana. Sorry this is all anecdotal, but I've seen a lot of hypocrisy regarding this. They seem to think that tobacco is disgusting and gives you cancer while the soothing smoke of weed gives your lungs new life? I don't have anything against weed at all but I can't understand them.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Nope. They are against all smoking. The whole tobacco VS cannabis argument is, and has always been, a false equivalency.
Nicotine and THC are both drugs and the people who smoke them are both drug users, so where's the superiorit
I don't have any sources, but I have seen a great deal of people both on internet and real life discouraging tobacco use while heavily encouraging marijuana. Sorry this is all anecdotal, but I've seen a lot of hypocrisy regarding this. They seem to think that tobacco is disgusting and gives you cancer while the soothing smoke of weed gives your lungs new life? I don't have anything against weed at all but I can't understand them.
I don’t think you need to cite evidence but it isn’t a question of wether weed smokers are anti tobacco. The country and world at large are moving toward the leagaization or decriminalization of cannabis while simultaneously making it more and more difficult to buy and smoke tobacco.
People want pot and government to some degree wants the tax revenue from it not to mention the savings that comes with not having to enforce draconian weed legislation that jam up the judicial system and over tax the prison system

I don’t think you need to cite evidence but it isn’t a question of wether weed smokers are anti tobacco. The country and world at large are moving toward the leagaization or decriminalization of cannabis while simultaneously making it more and more difficult to buy and smoke tobacco.
People want pot and government to some degree wants the tax revenue from it not to mention the savings that comes with not having to enforce draconian weed legislation that jam up the judicial system and over tax the prison system
I've always thought that the pro-pot people are in for a big shock, once the FDA gets all up in their business also. No more raw herb. It'll haver to be regulated into pills with exact dosages and such. Can't even make whisky at home, and yet they think they're going to let them just continue to grow pot? Bah ha ha.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I've always thought that the pro-pot people are in for a big shock, once the FDA gets all up in their business also. No more raw herb. It'll haver to be regulated into pills with exact dosages and such. Can't even make whisky at home, and yet they think they're going to let them just continue to grow pot? Bah ha ha.
I think you are right on the money. Regulating bodies regulate - that’s just what they do.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That is likely to change over time as the effects of smoking pot become widely known, which can’t happen without legalizing it.
Prohibition failed, as it usually does. The only effect was to enrich criminals.
Expect the same program of social shunning and “death by a thousand cuts” to take hold on pot as it has on tobacco.
Neither are good for your health and in the case of pot, the effects on lungs and upon cognition are not good.
For now, taking away the luster of “forbidden fruit” is the first step.

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
That is likely to change over time as the effects of smoking pot become widely known, which can’t happen without legalizing it.
Prohibition failed, as it usually does. The only effect was to enrich criminals.
Expect the same program of social shunning and “death by a thousand cuts” to take hold on pot as it has on tobacco.
Neither are good for your health and in the case of pot, the effects on lungs and upon cognition are not good.
For now, taking away the luster of “forbidden fruit” is the first step.
So true. Once it (pot) becomes legal most places they will tax it to death. Just like tobacco, they really never want it to go away because of the revenue it creates. They say they care about the children and your health when its reality all about the money and the control.