PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PoplarWight

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2022
Trapped in the root ball, Alabama
Well, 2016, 2018, and 2021 came and went. The only blends that appear to have been affected (explicitly stated) so far were the P&C blends that moved to kits and from what I can tell, that was proactive.

Additionally, there have been several new "small batch" blends that have appeared recently.
Is this just the new status quo, or is the proverbial axe currently just hanging over our heads?

I heard rumors that the FDA is essentially rubber-stamping "substantial equivalence" rulings for pipe tobacco. Is that true?

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Well, definitely makes me feel better about not having cellared deep yet. Still too many things to try. Guess a booger could still jump out of the closet to get us, but it hasn't happened yet.
Currently, your biggest blockers are probably any new tax levies and state legislative bans on either online order or flavorings, etc than deeming in my opinion.

Currently, your biggest blockers are probably any new tax levies and state legislative bans on either online order or flavorings, etc than deeming in my opinion.
So true. I am retiring to Utah and selling out of California before I go. Utah has such a ban on bringing in tobacco via mail order. This will limit my TAD significantly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm hoping that the bureaucracy has realized that the administration of these regulations uses up far more resources than any benefit it could possibly produce would merit. There about twenty major issues that confront the U.S. at the moment, and the debauchery of pipe smokers ranks down there about ten thousandth, along with people who recycle the wrong plastics and people who cut the tags off their mattresses. For gosh sakes, let the old geezers (us old geezers) enjoy our blends, and when we're gone, you can say the pipes did it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It does appear that the FDA has other things to do these days. BTW, final, final for blends being deemed is 8/8/22. But it appears that they're not really enforcing much at the moment.

Most of these "new" blends aren't really new, just a lot of repackaging going on. Also, there were workarounds that were put into action back in 2016.

It's been a long time since I heard about FDA agents showing up at a carver's workshop to roust him about. Just keep in mind that the statutes are still on the books, so this can change at any time. Anti smoking groups have been suing the FDA to get on with it. We can sincerely thank the ineptitude of the legal system for the delays.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
It does appear that the FDA has other things to do these days. BTW, final, final for blends being deemed is 8/8/22. But it appears that they're not really enforcing much at the moment.

Most of these "new" blends aren't really new, just a lot of repackaging going on. Also, there were workarounds that were put into action back in 2016.

It's been a long time since I heard about FDA agents showing up at a carver's workshop to roust him about. Just keep in mind that the statutes are still on the books, so this can change at any time. Anti smoking groups have been suing the FDA to get on with it. We can sincerely thank the ineptitude of the legal system for the delays.
I bet these same anti smoking groups are pro cannabis. Makes not sense to me.

PoplarWight

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2022
Trapped in the root ball, Alabama
Just like nobody has a "my pepaw smoked two bowls of Prince Albert a day and his peter stopped working, he gave all his kids second hand lung cancer, he got the COPD, and got a voice box put in" story, the same applies to cannabis.

Which has the luxury of not being yoked to the same plant that Phillip Morris turns into pulp and sprays with ammonia and fire retardant.

Reactions: Reggie

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Nope. They are against all smoking. The whole tobacco VS cannabis argument is, and has always been, a false equivalency.
Nicotine and THC are both drugs and the people who smoke them are both drug users, so where's the superiority?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think the thing people forget is that to FDA tobacco is tobacco it's the same plant in their opinion. Burly or VA means nothing to them. And significantly similar might come back to bite us but at this point it seems to mean oh that's a food flavor yeah cool that seems significantly similar. At most it's one added cost which ultimately will only effect already under preforming blends.

Reactions: Ebarber

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have said this many times. Only in America can we develop a world beating something or other, sell loads of it and then have another government agency investigate it under competition guidelines! The same things applies to the FDA. A bunch of well meaning people in Congress come up with an idea and then the relevant government agency 'gold plates' the idea since it means bigger budgets, more minions, bigger promotions etc. Rest assured that tobacco will be picked up on by some zealot who will look to develop it into a career enhancing move as he clambers up the greasy pole of government.