PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Do You love Cornell & Diehl's Old Joe Krantz? Is G L Pease's Haddo's Delight your hidden gem? Well, Rum Soaked Perique may be your friend.
If you've had Haddo's Delight and researched about its origins, then You have come across the legend of Aleister Crowley smoking Straight Rum Soaked Perique.

I began this experiment about two years ago, searching through Crowley's Magickal Journals, doubting that he actually did smoke Rum Soaked Perique. I couldn't come up with conclusive evidence there. So I took a break. I ran across Deathmeatal.org on Tobacco Reviews one evening, (this gentleman happens to be the same Deathmetal that frequents this forum)I did a Google search. Deathmetal.org, is an underground blog for death metal fans. It so happens that our friend DeathMeatal wrote an article on that site, about smoking straight perique with Aleister Crowley. Deathmetal did his own research through Crowley's fiction and found evidence that Crowley did smoke Straight Rum Soaked Perique. (If your interested in the topic check out Deathmetal.org)
With a little private messaging between Deathmetal and Myself, Deathmetal enticed me to try Soaking Perique in Rum and have a go at it. Well ladies and gentlemen, I'm proud to say Mission Accomplished. The experience was well worth the time.
I started out with C&D's Granulated Perique. Then soaked it with Appleton's Jamaican Rum( Great Stuff by Itself). I let the perique sit in rum for about six hours. Next I placed the perique on a paper towel and let it dry. I suggest a mini corn cob, in case you do not like it. This isn't gonna be your go to smoke. Perique by it self has a sweet fig, raisin and has an incense profile. Cosmic has said that its like strong cigarettes. He is quite right about that. In fact, if you have smoke cigarettes or do smoke cigarettes then this is going to be easy street. Not that it taste like cigarettes, it just has that mouth feel.
Anyway, when the rum is added the Perique takes on a Chocolate covered raisin and fig flavor, which develops into a strong cigar spiciness. It reminds me of Old Joe Krantz and Haddo's Delight. These two blends are more refined and more complex than Straight Rum Soaked Perique. I would suspect that if Old Joe Krantz and Haddo's Delight were at Crowley's Tobacconist he would have grabbed for a tin of one of them, Rather than soaking perique in rum.
Well, that about wraps it up. Straight perique! No big deal.

Reactions: chopper

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
:Yea, Cosmic, 1 Dimension. Now I now where all the plums, raisins and figs come from in those Va/Pers.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
Thanks for the review perdurabo. Your experiment with booze soaked perique reminds me of my favorite line from the first Indiana Jones movie:

"Looks dangerous Indie! You Go First!".
Plugugly
And Cosmic: West Texas. Miles and miles of miles and miles!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Perique- Flavor enhancer. Very true Cosmic. This experiment has really made me think about mixing my own blends. Adding perique to any old blend really helps you discover how the perique reacts. Letting it sit with the other tobaccos is also key. Yesterday I added 25% plus to Briar Fox. Freshly added with no marrying time was almost like smoking straight perique at times. Now that I let the perique sit over night, the over all smell has changed. So you know the flavor has too. I love perique, but I think that I love what my favorite blenders have done with perique in their mixtures more.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Anyway, when the rum is added the Perique takes on a Chocolate covered raisin and fig flavor, which develops into a strong cigar spiciness. It reminds me of Old Joe Krantz and Haddo's Delight.
Excellent assessment. I liked it more than I expected to. I can see how Crowley smoked this and enjoyed it on a regular basis. Probably less abrasive than Herzegovina Flor.
It's also really excellent with a little of C&D's Dark Fired Kentucky Burley for more of that Old Joe Krantz experience.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Thanks for inspiring me to give it a go Deathmeatal. I'm thinking of all the blends I can add this rum soaked perique to. Star of the East is definitely one worth adding it to. Night Slap or Star of the Beast are two names that I leaning towards calling it. Night Slap may be a good one with the Rumper coinage.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Manure Says it all, Coamic. Dark Chocolate and Manure to be exact. I've never had Semois. Is it good.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Death metal I'm putting together some NightSlap, Rum soaked perique and Star of the East. Just a splash of perique though. Should be tasty.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
.like driving through Texas
Try driving through Nebraska.
Also, I've wanted to try straight perique for a while...the more you guys talk about it.....the more I'm determined. Maybe you'll be the ones to break the "don't smoke it straight" mentality.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Tyler, that the idea. Once you go Rumper it's hard to turn back. Smokingpipes.com sells C&D Granulated Perique/bulk tobacco. Man, I've been putting it in Briar Fox and Star of the East. It's great.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Rumper days are here again-Alt. lyrics for Zepplin's Dancing Days
We are promoting this because Rum soaked Perique is really damn good. Aleister Crowley was on to something.

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
I'll have to try this. Decades ago, I read Crowley's autohagiography or Confessions of AC and his fiction, MC and DDF. I recall dousing Captain Black with Captain Morgan after coming across it somewhere in those writings and smoking it in my first briar, a deep Hungarian bent. Don't recall what I thought of it at the time, it must not have been a stellar experience.
Worth a proper re-visit methinks. Thanks for the research guys.
Love is the Law....

thesillyoldbear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
CND.Crowley.32416_3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.