PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Thanks for the link to your article deathmetal, and for posting it here mayfair70.

It was a fun read, I always enjoy a good experiment.

I couldn't see the reference to the part of his writing that describes it being soaked in rum.

I still haven't been able to buy the Bacardi 151 yet. I am thinking that a few drops, maybe 5 or so, added to the perique (I have Golden Triangle on standby) and then gently tossing the mix before loading should do the trick. If I dry the perique beforehand, I don't think there will be enough water left behind won't put out the ember. And using an ember to light it should keep the blue flame from burning away the alcohol instantly.
perique-600x56.jpg

Maybe there was a hint in that passage. After all who throws coals and a log or two on the fire? Fire makes coals, they aren't stored for fuel to add to an existing fire. If it is coal he is referring to, it would be burned in a coal stove, not wasted with wood in a mantle covered, open fireplace. That would unnecessarily stink and smoke the room, and waste the coal.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That might work. My feeling is that he liked grand gestures which appeared casual, so he probably scored a bunch of Perique, cut it up, left it in a dish of rum overnight, then threw it into the little canister on his desk and let it dry over time. I imagine he did a few ounces at a time. With this method, Perique becomes a little less hard to smoke, slightly sweeter, and gains an interesting cross-flavor with the rum, which oddly enough, tastes a bit like Perique if you can get past the blast of alcohol (beer drinker here, hard lix generally still taste like medicine!).

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Don't think so, Crowley didn't even like to slice up his own twists, he'd bring it to the shop and have them do it for him.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Id use a barrel aged rum. Dark Rum. Also Pernod is a nice change up. But then it's not rumsoaked perique!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Israel Regardie said Crowley's Pipe smoking stank. So I'd say it was perique he was smoking.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
pipeman7 writes:
Crowley didn't even like to slice up his own twists, he'd bring it to the shop and have them do it for him.
No doubt. But that is consistent with my analysis: he wanted something dramatic, but low time investment, so he threw it in some rum overnight and then dumped it into his tobacco jar.
The perique soaks up the rum rather well...

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
I disagree. I think whatever Crowley was smoking came that way. It might have been shipped to him. can anyone find a 1947 perique blend topped with molasses

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Pipeman7 I assumed this also, that there was some perique mystery blend down at the corner tobacco shop. But when you smoke Rum/per, you began to understand why anyone would smoke rum soaked perique. Dark Fired flavors with sweet and spicy raisin with figs. Damn. Good Googly Moogly!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.