SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
Do you think most people are better wired for one of these over the other? I mean... some people are great at planning things, keeping paper work in order, never forgetting to order the heartworm medicine, etc., but when sh#t hits the fan they don't know how to cope with it. While, the other type... they are able to quickly figure out a way around a flat tyre, checking account over drafted, strange rash (you know where), etc... but kinda suck at managing their day to day affairs, spend too much money on Garbage Pail Kids and stilton, forget to go to the dentist or just don't really want to, etc. Could just be conditioning though...I can't really say but I do think there is something to it. These are just my limited observations.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Well sort of along the lines, I work better .. or at all .. under pressure. I tend to leave project work until the day if not morning before i have to present it and i jam it out in a couple hours and haven't had a bad session yet. I'd say i procrastinate but i'll just admit to that later. Either way when the pressure is really on i'm highly motivated and creative to the point where sometimes it's scary, i've worked on interface designs that people were stumped on for a month before i joined the project, i'd look at it, have no clue how to solve the issue and then the day i would be set to present the solution it would just come to me and it would work. Trust me I'm not complaining, but if the magic ever stops I'm boned.

haebar

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2014
East Tennessee
I'm somewhere in the middle; I like to plan things, like trips, projects for work, etc., but not too meticulously because circumstances change and you have to be flexible to respond to those changes.

Reactions: kcghost

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I had a 1:1 with my manager, someone i worked on many many projects with where she was the solution architect and i was the UX designer, always loved working with her and then last year she got promoted and i got put in her direct reports, so our one on ones were really just BS sessions.

One day she said how she knows i do everything at the last minute and if i applied myself like that all the time i would be amazing. So i replied "Oh are you saying I'm not amazing?" We had a good laugh.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There's is usually stress in whatever I am trying to accomplish. I have very few crises in my life now and miss them. As a cop there was never any stress in so-called "crises." One simply found the best way to handle it and moved on to the next call. Whether the stress of a deadline or someone pointing a gun at you, controlled stress, staying calm and simply addressing the problem works best for me. My wedding was probably my most stressed time and all I had to do was repeat the vows and therefore change my life as I knew it . . . forever.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
This is, essentially, another stroll down the nature vs. nurture path. I would say that humans are about as far from their natural state as ever, and becoming more so with each passing day. Much in the same way that pipe tobacco will only get more expensive and harder to obtain as time goes on. So that being said, I would say it's about nurture rather than nature. And if one is looking for a force substantially deranged enough to completely warp, torment, and render utterly useless any human being that participates in any of its myriad productions in any way, shape or form, one need look no further than human society.

Granted, you can only go against nature so long before disastrous consequences rear their ugly heads. That could be anything from the main plot of the 2006 film Idiocracy, or something far more serious, such as the plot line to the 1988 film They Live.

From my limited observations, humans are by and large just as ill-suited for crisis mode as they are for standard mode. People can't even get from their bedroom to their bathroom anymore without the freaking GPS telling them how to get there. That's the kind of separation I was alluding to in my 2nd sentence. If they can't even tie their shoes without an app to assist them, how the hell could they do something as complex as fixing a flat tire?

As for me, when the shit goes down, I'm surprisingly calm. It's the little stuff that I panic about.

But I blame this chiefly on being Jewish. So score one point for "nature," I guess.

L'chaim! 😀

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
I have always been the plan, plan and plan some more type. Definitely not a random spontaneous guy.

But I do thrive in chaos when it does happen.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have always been the plan, plan and plan some more type.
Planning is a stressor in and of itself. Well, at least serious planning for serious circumstances should be. We all know those types who find planning for the seating of family, who gets along with who stuff, extremely stressful. Earlier this week simply planning to buy a new car appeared full of stress and needed outside suggestions. Life is simply stressful. It's how one enjoys or doesn't, stress that begs the question.

Reactions: crusader

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Rare are those whom posses the entire package of Technical and Tactical Proficiency. Most people have high confidence but their competence level falls short. The best example of the former are the US Army Elite, because even Marines need hero’s.

Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.

Reactions: Scottmi