PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I do tend to wonder with some of these aged tobacco limited releases. Ostensibly all of the tobacco they use is aged but they don't actually specify. Could the aged tobacco be used more in a condimental role or is the entire blend comprised of the aged tobacco? I read that there are 10k+ tins of Cringle Flake 2022 available this year which would be an awful lot of vintage tobacco to have laying around.
Wish I knew this so I didn’t stay up to midnight worried about not getting in on the action! Still tins available as of today! Oh well, passed the time with a nice leisurely smoke. :)

KruegerFlap

Might Stick Around
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
5 months huh? Did it come and go? Do you have any advice, remedies? Iv'e been only smoking straight or close to straight Va , Burley and Oriental , seems all blends taste off and confusing it's been like 6 months, taste comes and goes but it's only at 50% when it comes...
Can't really say for sure that anything I did made my taste and smell come back any quicker than it did; I took a lot of vitamin C and D supplements and ate as healthy as I could. Everything I read said it varies among each individual as to the length of time, a co-worker said it took her a year to get her taste and smell back. It definitely sucked because for me everything tasted bland and I quit smoking until everything came back because I was just wasting good tobacco trying to taste anything. I hope you get back to 100% ASAP.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Anyone having trouble keeping this stuff lit? I only smoked a couple of bowls after rubbing out and drying the first drying for 20 min the second for an hour ? Had to relight a lot and I don't like relighting. Any tricks? I don't own a microwave...

Reactions: LeafErikson
Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Anyone having trouble keeping this stuff lit? I only smoked a couple of bowls after rubbing out and drying the first drying for 20 min the second for an hour ? Had to relight a lot and I don't like relighting. Any tricks? I don't own a microwave...
I can't say for the 22 release, but the 2020 batch the longer you let it dry the better it was. Try sitting some out to dry for multiple hours.

Reactions: vosBghos

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I can't say for the 22 release, but the 2020 batch the longer you let it dry the better it was. Try sitting some out to dry for multiple hours.
I'm squarely in this camp as well. Maybe we can get some tips from the veterans. @jimlnks review made it seem like it took some relights, but as long as you smoke it slowly, no bite, etc. I just assume my tongue will be a mess after smoking this and most damp pressed tobacco. He also said that if you dry it out, you lose some of the darker fruitiness. This was something I found on my own too so I'm experimenting to find the right balance. The 2021 provided me with one of the most amazing pipe experiences of my life. But I've had a long of bust ups as well. I'm sure there is a forum post with tips on this, but it's definitely not easy for newbies like me.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

Yep with 2021. I chalk it up to the thick cut of the flake and possibly the casing, but not sure on the last one. I either rub the hell out of it, or else cube cut it with an ulu knife. In both cases, I dry it for a day or two. Much better results, but it still takes more than the average amount of relights, which is why I suspect the casing.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA

Not really, I rubbed the hell out of it and let it dry for 10min, loaded it up in my small meer and it burned like a champ. Really smooth no bite.

I can say this years flakes are cut thinner then say, the 2020 release, made for a much easier time loading.

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
They must have made many more tins this year than what I originally stated. I thought 10,000 or 12,000. is it possible they made 20,000 or more this year? Still fully stocked pretty much everywhere. Considering that every previous year it was sold out within an hour or two it seems likely they made many more this year.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'm squarely in this camp as well. Maybe we can get some tips from the veterans. @jimlnks review made it seem like it took some relights, but as long as you smoke it slowly, no bite, etc. I just assume my tongue will be a mess after smoking this and most damp pressed tobacco. He also said that if you dry it out, you lose some of the darker fruitiness. This was something I found on my own too so I'm experimenting to find the right balance. The 2021 provided me with one of the most amazing pipe experiences of my life. But I've had a long of bust ups as well. I'm sure there is a forum post with tips on this, but it's definitely not easy for newbies like me.
I did say it required some relights, and I also mentioned that I do not dry blends when reviewing, so an undried moist crumble cake is going to burn slow. I do it that way because from all I've ever been able to tell, the average smoker doesn't dry their tobacco. Since I try to tailor my reviews for the average smoker, I don't dry blends while reviewing. I did make an exception for this year's Cringle Flake because curiosity got the best of me. And, then I reported the differences so whoever reads my review can decide on what works best for them.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Had my first bowl tonight and really enjoyed it.

For me, im liking the darker plum/fig notes because the more peppery and vinegary VaPers can become very acrid.

Whimsical was that way. The first bowl, I almost couldn’t finish because of the sour taste that developed towards the end.

This though, is the perfect balance to me and, though I wish it was a pure VA, I can’t complain that the Perique doesn’t help it.

Reactions: Jwebb90

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I’m smoking a bowl on the patio right now. I like it. I do think the 2021 had more of a citrus/vinegar vibe which I particularly like now. But no regrets in picking up the 2022. Definitely going to let some tins age a bit and see how it evolves.
I agree.

Reactions: Akousticplyr

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
Hopefully copious amounts 🤞
Yes, only thing is that this would be where we get into deception. You see, these blends were touted as being very limited in supply. I’m all for making a blend like this readily available but I would appreciate if a company came out and said, “we’re making a lot of it this year as we have quite the stockpile of mark Ryans 20yo perique/20yo reds and want everyone to be able to readily get it through the holidays into next year. I would respect that and want to buy more from a company that does that. As opposed to “this is a very limited supply of these component tobaccos” and then release like 20,000 tins to the public.