PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Each blend has its own sweet spot as far as dryness is concerned. Usually when it starts to get a little crispy but not much further. Generally wetter equals more bass notes and dryer equals more crisp high notes. But wetter can also mean more tongue bite due to relights and steam so...

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
Yes, only thing is that this would be where we get into deception. You see, these blends were touted as being very limited in supply. I’m all for making a blend like this readily available but I would appreciate if a company came out and said, “we’re making a lot of it this year as we have quite the stockpile of mark Ryans 20yo perique/20yo reds and want everyone to be able to readily get it through the holidays into next year. I would respect that and want to buy more from a company that does that. As opposed to “this is a very limited supply of these component tobaccos” and then release like 20,000 tins to the public.
Looking at the smokingpipes description I dont see any mention of it being rare or limited leaf. It says something about 21 year old red virginias and 19 year old perique, which if thats what it is then thats what it is.

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
Looking at the smokingpipes description I dont see any mention of it being rare or limited leaf. It says something about 21 year old red virginias and 19 year old perique, which if thats what it is then thats what it is.
Look into prior years where they specifically talk about how limited the mark Ryan perique is. There are a few interviews and articles that came out about it. This years is the same stock from prior years so what they said 2 years ago about it would still apply.

blackpowderpiper

Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Not sure how "limited" or "rare" these tobaccos are. What I do know is that the tobaccos used are around two decades old. This leads to a maturity and depth of flavor that I can't find just anywhere. I'm thankful Sutliff is providing us with the chance to enjoy these wonderful tobaccos and I feel that the price is fair considering the product delivered.

I opened a tin of the 2022 last night and must say I was impressed. The flakes in this tin were of the perfect moisture and burned fairly easily with minimal relights. What really got me was the flavor. To me at least it tasted like a freshly baked fruitcake where the baker went a little heavy on the sugar. A really sweet, fermented, delicious fruitcake with just a little spice thrown in. The 19 year old Perique no longer delivers much, if any, black pepper, but more of a dry fruitiness. There is a subtle spiciness at times but more like cinnamon or nutmeg. You almost have to go looking for it.

All in all, I was very pleased. I'm glad I purchased a few extra tins for future holiday seasons. For me at least, this is a nice treat for this time of year.

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
I don’t know how well stocked these tobacco companies are, but could these 21 and 19-year old tobaccos be considered “limited and rare” simply because there is nothing else available that’s close in age? If there aren’t any 10-18 year old tobaccos in store, then it will be awhile before something like this is available again.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yes, only thing is that this would be where we get into deception. You see, these blends were touted as being very limited in supply. I’m all for making a blend like this readily available but I would appreciate if a company came out and said, “we’re making a lot of it this year as we have quite the stockpile of mark Ryans 20yo perique/20yo reds and want everyone to be able to readily get it through the holidays into next year. I would respect that and want to buy more from a company that does that. As opposed to “this is a very limited supply of these component tobaccos” and then release like 20,000 tins to the public.
Why does it matter? If you get what you want, isn't that what's important? Or did you buy because you thought it was rare and now feel you made a mistake? I only see benefit here. If you buy a few and love it, you can go buy more.

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
Why does it matter? If you get what you want, isn't that what's important? Or did you buy because you thought it was rare and now feel you made a mistake? I only see benefit here. If you buy a few and love it, you can go buy more.
Hey Hoosier, I didn’t buy any this year, I’m well stocked on 2020. The point here is not an issue with the tobacco, I think it’s amazing to have a full stock of 20yo goodness. My issue is in the marketing that leads to what I feel to be less than honest. Bottom line, there is more of this leaf than they let on.

Look into prior years where they specifically talk about how limited the mark Ryan perique is. There are a few interviews and articles that came out about it. This years is the same stock from prior years so what they said 2 years ago about it would still apply.
I got an idea.

Just don't buy any.

That'll fix 'em! puffy

I got an idea.

Just don't buy any.

That'll fix 'em! puffy
I was standing in line at our local cable network distributer to replace a cable box, and the guy next to me was going on and on about how this company was screwing him over, it was too expensive, cheaper to just use apps, and blah blah blah. We both got up to our CS people at the same time, and to my surprise he was adding more services to his account. I turned to him and was, "WTF, you just talked my ear off about how you hated this company so much, and now you're giving them more money?"
He just said, "Well, I hate all companies."
I just don't get it.