Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Hmm, they're suggesting that in order to disinfect things we should use disinfectants with more than 60% alcohol. Guess I need to stop using gin to disinfect my pipes. Absinthe, here I come.
Just drink some bottled in bond bourbon;)

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So far it doesn't affect children, and that is a really good thing. So far it seems to sicken only a small percentage of those it infects; others may spread it but they don't get more than a mild case or none. The bad part is that for the demographic of many of us, it seems to be more serious in men, and more serious in older people. Another bad part is that the efforts to prevent spreading the virus and tending to the ill could affect the economy throughout the world through reduced manufacturing, reduced travel for both recreation and business, impairment of organizations in education, medical facilities, and so on. The virus will stress and inconvenience most of us, and perhaps some will contend with illness or succumb to it. I'd listen to the medical people and public health people, not the politicians so much.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The media has, of course, a story to sell in order to keep coming us back for more of what they peddle. That being said, it's only wise to be cautious and prepared, not paranoid or panicky, but cautious and prepared—following simple and common-sense preventive measures.

That it doesn't kill children with the same effectiveness it wastes adults is hardly comforting (although it might help parents be less paranoid): it's the adults that pay taxes, work, and take care of those children. If the adults buy the farm, the children will soon follow.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
The hype'll probably get us before the actual virus.

Agreed. Not worried about it at all. I tend to think that the opposite of what I hear from the MSM is probably closer to the actual truth.

Now supply chain systems being broken / China not shipping? That’s troubling. I’m sure y’all know they mfgr ~70-80% of all prescription medication, and about 80% of the pre-cursors for medicines manufactured elsewhere.

But yeah, everyone give up your rights and run into the open arms of Big Brother government. They’ll have just the ‘vaccine’ they want to pois... I mean cure you with. ?

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Understand that I am a microbiologist at a hospital lab so I would urge everyone to do due diligence with regard to the coronavirus. Do not take the words of ignorant politicians or tv/radio personalities that stroke fear and paranoia. At the very least, go to the CDC website for information.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Not worried at all. I got the swine-flu when that was all the rage and it was just a like mild cold.
This one seems no different.
The fact that the media are so preoccupied with it should tell us a little about how out of touch they are, and how they really like to create their own news and fads rather than report on existing ones.
I don't know anything about the Corona Virus and how bad it will/won't turn out to be but I DEFINITELY do know the American news are much more OTT when it comes to this sort of thing. I watch a lot of BBC and FOX, CNN, MSNBC etc and the US news seem to go overboard on the doomsday scenarios.
Here's a piece UK comedian Russell Howard did comparing the two countries (UK vs US) coverage of the ebola outbreak, it's pretty funny?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Agreed. Not worried about it at all. I tend to think that the opposite of what I hear from the MSM is probably closer to the actual truth.

Now supply chain systems being broken / China not shipping? That’s troubling. I’m sure y’all know they mfgr ~70-80% of all prescription medication, and about 80% of the pre-cursors for medicines manufactured elsewhere.

But yeah, everyone give up your rights and run into the open arms of Big Brother government. They’ll have just the ‘vaccine’ they want to pois... I mean cure you with. ?
Heh, you reminded me of my grandfather. That's what he used to say, 'if the newspapers (the prevalent media in his day) tell you one thing, it's the opposite! If they tell you, "there'll be war" then you know there's not gonna be a war; if they tell you, "there'll be no war" then you know there will be one'.

An Argentinian cartoonist in the 60's stated something similar in one of his strips: "the news tell you half of what's happening; if to that you add that the news invent half of what they tell you, you have that there's no such thing as news!"

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Understand that I am a microbiologist at a hospital lab so I would urge everyone to do due diligence with regard to the coronavirus. Do not take the words of ignorant politicians or tv/radio personalities that stroke fear and paranoia. At the very least, go to the CDC website for information.
Well... the CDC itself seems to be one of the alarming voices in the narrative: CDD Warns that It Might Be Bad
:oops:

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I'd bet the vast majority of Americans are not aware of that...they think the FDA is scrutinizing the meds they're taking. Good luck with that.

You know they put the molecular structure of the drug in those pamphlets that come with the med? That right there is how to make it. Every time I go to Amazon or eBay etc., they’re always sold out of those little hex shaped thingys and connection lines ?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
The Media is hyping Coronavirus to create a political talking point. 98% survival rate, Sounds better than 2.5% death rate. It’s not going to be spun that way, though.

Interesting info, the CDC tried to keep the US citizens on the Diamond Princess from entering back into the states. The State Department over road the medical experts and let them in. Looks like the State Department is the entity Eisenhower warned us about.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
If I worried about all the shit that might kill me, worry would likely be at the top of the list as most likely.

But I don’t, because something surely will and I’m not worried about that one either because it won’t matter much because I’ll be dead.

Seriously, sometimes it’s fun to run with scissors, ride a motorcycle without a helmet or smoke a pipe. Not the safest things to do, but a reasonable risk/reward calculation - mostly. Meh.

If you want my top items that do scare me, stupidity, intolerance, hate and pumpkin spice latte - horrible shit, that. Can you imagine if that goes mainstream??? It would surely end our species.

Besides, I’ve got a lemon, so I’ll have a Corona, please ?

If I never post again, you’ll know the gods squashed me like a bug with rampant Corona virus just for kicks ?

Status
Not open for further replies.