Coolest place you've ever smoked your pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gageploungin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2012
Yesterday we took a friend visiting from out of town out to the Cape Meares Lighthouse. I leaned over the rail as the clouds wisped across my face and thought "what a great moment".... a couple of pics....
vaca081_zps5dcc578d.jpg
vaca079_zps5a4d38cc.jpg
vaca078_zps6e4afffc.jpg

Edit: fixed the pics, L. Have a look at this: Reply Box; Trick and Tips

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Mine was probably smoking outside a bar in Chicago. Not necessarily for the view but because every person that walked by stopped to talk to me about my pipe. Iwan Ries was right across the street but surprisingly most of them said they have never seen anyone smoke a pipe before. By the way, this was the only time random people in Chicago said anything to me other than asking for money.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Last summer in Vienna, Austria while enjoying a couple of espresso's in an outdoor cafe on the Stephansplatz (St. Stephan's plaza) people watching...... Fantastic!!! :puffy:

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Wow, smoke amazing scenes to be found smoking a pipe in! I myself have a limited share here. I worked (once upon a time) for the Burlington Northern Railroad and often the railroad tracks will take over 100 miles from any road and you will be literally in the middle of nowhere! I also worked for a short while as a traveling technician which took me to so many unique places in Colorado and the surrounding states.
Here are my top pipe smoking locations:

1. Top of the mountain, surrounded by fog. I had driven up a back highway to a mountain pass on my way to Idaho. Nearing the top of mountain I noticed fog that shortly enveloped the truck and I could not resist the urge to pull over and breathe in this lush moist air (Colorado is rather dry normally) and boy did it smell fresh and clean! As I parked and checked out the sticky cloud surrounding my person and feeling delighted by the moment I dug out my pipe that I had in the glove compartment for moments where I could smoke for a longer period of time. As I started puffing some hippies in a VW showed up and joined me but they had a much different "smoking experience" but all in all we had a good conversation about the Pacific Northwest and living near and ocean...and how fog is just a part of life in those places. Needless to say the moment was made better by the company and spontaneous conversation.
2. A ghost town in North Dakota that was over 50 miles from any other town and only 5 miles from the rail road tracks. Our crew had stopped work and luckily enough we were close enough to see this ghost town from the tracks. Myself being one of the 5-6 pipe smokers on the crew we shared our baccy and made comments about what we thought this town was. The next day the other guys told me that they could not find it on the map and that they were dying to get over there after work to see what it was we had looked on the day before. Well after work we piled into one of the guys cars and drove out there. We were dumbfounded by the method we had to use the road dead ended just about a mile from the edge of what was left of this ghost town. So we got out and hiked all the way there. As we got into the "town center" which was little more than 7 buildings and a few more foundations and cut off lamp posts we sat down and started smoking. You could hear the various wild birds, the wind and the lonesome environment that once had to be a hub of activity for the community that inhabited the place in teh early 1900's. I harken back to this being a special moment as the conversation revolved around the people, the time and the economy that lead to the rise and fall of this ville we were hanging out in and pondered on when the last time human feet made there way here. As we wrapped up the 1 hour moment we ventured around and found a few old glass bottles and jars along with old oil cans and misc. odds and ends. As the dark night approached a few hours later we started hiking back and of course puffing a bit on the way. We were all smoking the Borkum Riff and Half and Half we picked up in Fargo, ND and even though that tobacco bothers me now it was special that day.

NS_RK_RailGang.jpg

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
For my brother's wedding he rented the space on the top floor of a 30 story building, lucky for us they forgot to lock the roof access and me and my brother went up top for a smoke. Unfortunately being in Oklahoma it was to damn windy to smoke, but my brother got his cigarette in :/ other than that I usually only smoke in my garage, or in the park.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
At the lookout overlooking the Golden Gate bridge, and walking around Union Square (San Francisco) during my yearly christmas vacation with the wife and kids on a cold December night...

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Ya' know, I've been to some pretty cool places, have been around the planet a

couple of times. But I think the coolest place to smoke my pipe is when I'm off

somewhere by myself, or headed down to the creek.
c4d5879a.jpg

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
That is an awesome story johncorosz, urban exploration, when done safely and respectfully is absolutely fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.