PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
That could be the case, but I began writing this to better understand myself and to have an outlet for base desires, emotions and thoughts. But in order for this to work, one has to have a steadfast belief in and for daily writing. It doesn’t work if you do it sporadically.
Very impressive and I hope one of your descendants are interested. Unfortunately most younger people have no interest as I’ve found in my own family. Their Great-Great Great Grandfather’s beautiful hand written summaries of his court cases when he was a judge? Yawn. I could go on and on with my own experiences.
I’m curious about the notebooks you are using. How do you keep a uniform, consistent supply over the years?

Reactions: Carol

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Anyone who has ever had tobacco from me knows I usually include a note. I still write quite a lot of letters including stuff that goes in the international mail.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
My daughter is in her first year of college in the Netherlands. Every time I see her, over break or if I go and visit her, I always sneak a hand written letter somewhere in her luggage so that she can find it at a later date.
she has told me how much she cherishes these letters and re-reads them often. I can’t more highly recommend this practice.

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
I think just the right library might want to accept this for their historical archives. I'm not sure what the content might be, or if features a particular subject matter that might make it distinct and suitable for a subject matter archives, but I suspect it might. Most interesting.

Well it contains my daily life. So the subject matter ranges from family life, emotions and thoughts to work related information, politics and philosophical writing. It’s not organised in subjects. It’s a chronological day-to-day entry. I do keep an index and number the pages, so you can easily keep track of what was written where.

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
I’m curious about the notebooks you are using. How do you keep a uniform, consistent supply over the years?

Years ago I have bought these green A5 binders in bulk. I have almost run out of stock and these green binders are not available anymore. So I have recently bought 180 black A5-binders instead. This supply will keep me going until I am 95 years old. Haha! I hole punch the paper from Rhodia that I write on.

418D7DFF-BEDC-4D37-BCFD-94C4ED1B98DE.jpeg

On the left is the index (in Dutch) and on the right the paper I write on, usually one page (front + back) per day.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
This evening we saw the Italian film 'Il Postino', which reminded me, that I ought to have replied to a letter, that I received from a good old friend. 30 years ago.

Reactions: Hovannes
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I used to use a Pelikan 120 in my sketchbooks in college/art school. The model got discontinued and I couldn't find new nibs. Reading this thread, I ended up looking up Pelikan pens and see the 120 was recently reissued in a limited edition in the regular green and black, and a new, deep blue. I'm toying with the idea of getting one again, or a higher end Pelikan that's currently in production. As a fellow lefty, I learned to write with my hand under what I was writing. One of my brothers is also a lefty (well, ambidextrous, actually), but he curls his wrist and positions his hand above his writing.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
I type letters to my sons and friends using a 1960 portable Smith Corona typewriter. This shouldn't be a surprise as I smoke Granger, Carter Hall and grind 8 O'clock beans for my morning coffee brewed in a french press. Codgers are as codgers do.

Reactions: Carol and Hovannes

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I type letters to my sons and friends using a 1960 portable Smith Corona typewriter. This shouldn't be a surprise as I smoke Granger, Carter Hall and grind 8 O'clock beans for my morning coffee brewed in a french press. Codgers are as codgers do.
But do you drink whisky neat while typing?

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Let’s see a picture of the typewriter! Here’s one of mine:

B7865B60-9322-493A-AA46-06687288B567.jpeg

Reactions: aspiring_sage

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
Looks fantastic! Repair prime are hard to find. Amazing place in Berkeley called California Typewriter. They even made a documentary about it!
Thank you. Last summer,just for laughs I took my Skyriter to a local coffee shop and typed a letter. The look on the faces of the other patrons was priceless when they looked up from their laptop keyboards.
I'll reach out to California Typewriter about shipping my Royal to them. I'm guessing the cost of shipping would be prohibitive.
Good to know there are other people out there using the old tech and practicing the lost art of letter writing!

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Thank you. Last summer,just for laughs I took my Skyriter to a local coffee shop and typed a letter. The look on the faces of the other patrons was priceless when they looked up from their laptop keyboards.
I'll reach out to California Typewriter about shipping my Royal to them. I'm guessing the cost of shipping would be prohibitive.
Good to know there are other people out there using the old tech and practicing the lost art of letter writing!
Get in touch with this guy first:
He’ll tell you where to take it or send it. Great book as well!

Jan 27, 2020
For some reason I am not sure of for a few years I proclaimed to myself and to others that the Kaweco Classic was the best budget fountain pen despite having many issues with mine such as the nib quickly drying out when not used for a week or so. On a whim I purchased a Lamy Safari, despite going on to others that I wouldn't ever buy a plastic fountain pen, but I must declare to all reading here who might be considering buying a budget fountain made of plastic that the Safari is an excellent choice.