PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Coming out of the pandemic -- one hopes we're coming out of it -- I find myself trying to get back in touch with close friends with whom I have fallen out of touch. Popping up on email seems abrupt, like, oh, hi, me again. I decided to follow my atavistic impulse and write a few letters. A letter is more surprising than an email these days. Emails are off-handed and easy and have no sense of presentation. Few emails get saved, or if they do, they are sent to the Cloud, whatever the hell that is.

A letter gives warning, with the return address, of its source. It gives some options for presentation in terms of style of stationery, envelope, printed or handwritten, return address sticker or written return address, commemorative stamp or flag stamp, length, etc. Yellow legal pad and handwritten is a different item than quality paper written in ink, and computer print-outs are another choice.

A letter will usually be saved and re-read, and maybe be archived by the recipient. In a few cases, mine have gone to libraries with someone's papers as permanent references.

In the device weary world, if you are looking to do just a little better, write a letter. It's old fashioned, and that's only one good thing about it. Buy a book of stamps.

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
As an aside, professor colleagues seldom answer emails. I almost never did myself. However a handwritten note normally gets results.
I remember someone explaining to me that email volume is so large that one has, on average, only 2-3 minutes to spend per electronic message, so they are mostly ignored/deleted.

Bottom line: If you want results from a professional, write them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, the quantity of junk mail relative to personal mail (even counting bills) is immense, so there's that. But the bills and the junk do make the personal mail shine.

The postal rate is going up soon, so if you "do" letters, now is a good time to buy a few sheets of forever stamps.

And there is no denying that postal service is not what it used to be in terms of dependability. The decrease in letters and print media has made the postal system less profitable, and less dependable.

But I still like USPS, I hope it it sustains and improves its footing.

Just remember, because letters often get saved, go into your best behavior mode with them. They can surface later, or after you're gone, and announce who you are, or were. I know, who cares? But most care.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I mostly use the computer printer to write letters to friends or others, but my wife and I do handwritten duets on birthday cards, thank you cards, condolence cards and such. People can see our different handwriting and get both voices on the card.

For birthday and anniversary, I try to do handmade cards for my wife, or modify store cards with extra text or drawings.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
funny I send letters if I have something important to write to someone who really has no reason to listen to me. You know like that time(s) they tried to raise the taxes on pipe tobacco because of those clearly roll your own bags of crap. I find emails have a better return rate for me when talking with friends or professionals.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
The voice behind an email is not the voice behind a letter.
That's true. However I have written friends e-mails in the tone and style of a Victorian letter writer. I highly recommend it. For the responses you will get. Either you'll get I am not reading that what are doing give me the short version and that is a good lesson for all writers. No one owes you anything. The second reaction is going to be getting a similarly styled response. There is a third secret response. It's both the first and second. The first a day or two latter and then a month or so after that you get the Victorian letter back.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Also, the thing about emails is that they're free, and so many people swap email addresses like some people change socks.
the only way to mitigate that is to make a hit show where someone has to keep changing their e-mails because of crime and cheating on their spouse. Covering their dirty tracks. Sure some people will then change their e-mails more but those are lame people and it's good to have the heads up.

Reactions: JOHN72

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I once got into using dip pens and sending the letters to grandchildren.

I’ve restored fountian pens and enjoy using them for writing letters and notes.
I also enjoy using fountain pens for letters and thank you notes. I'm also into paper as well. It's a sensual experience writing with a fountain pen on high quality paper. People are surprised when they get an actual letter.