48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
But you apparently don't think it enough to risk 5 tins. LOL. Look, I hope it is a good game. I'm not a Michigan fan, I root for Alabama. We'll see how good that O line is because Michigan has the best D line I think.

I think Michigan will run the ball down Washington's throat. They won't want to give Penix the ball any more than they have to. I think Michigan will apply more pressure than Penix has seen to date. I think Penix will be forced to scramble and also run more than he is comfortable with. To the extent he can do that successfully will determine the outcome of the game. We'll know about this time tomorrow night.
This is why I never bet on my teams. UW played their worst game all year, and still had a chance to tie late in the 4th quarter. Just a terrible effort in the 1st quarter that cost them. Though the refs didn't help, but that's not why they lost.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
This is why I never bet on my teams. UW played their worst game all year, and still had a chance to tie late in the 4th quarter. Just a terrible effort in the 1st quarter that cost them. Though the refs didn't help, but that's not why they lost.
To top it off your head coach is leaving for Alabama. Brutal.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Refs? That's hilarious. Washington didn't play a bad game, they just hadn't played a team like Michigan. And your lucky Michigan didn't play as well as they did against Alabama. Regardless, it was a great season for Washington, congratulations on your teams success. Believe it or not, I predicted Alabama would hire your coach on a Facebook post where it was being discussed.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Refs? That's hilarious. Washington didn't play a bad game, they just hadn't played a team like Michigan. And your lucky Michigan didn't play as well as they did against Alabama. Regardless, it was a great season for Washington, congratulations on your teams success. Believe it or not, I predicted Alabama would hire your coach on a Facebook post where it was being discussed.

Bad game? LOL You obviously didn't watch Washington play this year. They played terrible, and still were in a position to tie the game until the ref made a really bad call. When the game commentators make note of the bad call, and the post-game analysts make note of the bad call... it's a bad call. On top of that our O-line played bad, receivers played bad, Penix played bad, we had no run game because our RB was injured, and our defense gave up too many big plays. UW was awful in all aspects of the game. They were far from playing good, so if you thought they played good, I'm not sure you really watched the game.

I still think if UW plays like they did against Texas or Oregon they beat Michigan. Heck, as much as I hate to say it, because I hate Oregon, I think Oregon would beat Michigan too. While UW didn't play a defense like Michigan this year, they played a lot more high-powered offenses. They beat Oregon twice (with one of the best offenses in the Nation, beat USC with arguably the best QB in college and a high-powered offense, and several other top ranked teams. You talk like UW was a fluke team and didn't deserve to be there. Obviously, you're an SEC is the greatest ever homer, and doesn't think anyone can compete with that conference. Which is clearly not true. I'll give you that Georgia was the best team this year, and should have been in the Championship, but they couldn't win the SEC Championship, so out they go. That's how it works.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Bad game? LOL You obviously didn't watch Washington play this year. They played terrible, and still were in a position to tie the game until the ref made a really bad call. When the game commentators make note of the bad call, and the post-game analysts make note of the bad call... it's a bad call. On top of that our O-line played bad, receivers played bad, Penix played bad, we had no run game because our RB was injured, and our defense gave up too many big plays. UW was awful in all aspects of the game. They were far from playing good, so if you thought they played good, I'm not sure you really watched the game.

I still think if UW plays like they did against Texas or Oregon they beat Michigan. Heck, as much as I hate to say it, because I hate Oregon, I think Oregon would beat Michigan too. While UW didn't play a defense like Michigan this year, they played a lot more high-powered offenses. They beat Oregon twice (with one of the best offenses in the Nation, beat USC with arguably the best QB in college and a high-powered offense, and several other top ranked teams. You talk like UW was a fluke team and didn't deserve to be there. Obviously, you're an SEC is the greatest ever homer, and doesn't think anyone can compete with that conference. Which is clearly not true. I'll give you that Georgia was the best team this year, and should have been in the Championship, but they couldn't win the SEC Championship, so out they go. That's how it works.
Washington was a fluke team. And i do think the sec is the greatest conference of this century. In case you missed the memo, the sec has won 14 of 24 championships in this century. But why cloud the argument with facts? Your bias isn't allowing you to see clearly. Argue while you can, we will both be dead before you see Washington in the championship again. Or Oregon.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Washington was a fluke team. And i do think the sec is the greatest conference of this century. In case you missed the memo, the sec has won 14 of 24 championships in this century. But why cloud the argument with facts? Your bias isn't allowing you to see clearly. Argue while you can, we will both be dead before you see Washington in the championship again. Or Oregon.

UW was talked about being a Championship team all year, so to say they were a fluke is insane. Many of the ESPN analysts had them winning the Pac-12 and playing for the Championship from the beginning of the year. Penix was the Maxwell Award winner (best player in football) and Heisman runner up, Odunze runner up in the Biletnikoff Award, the O-line won the Joe Moore award for best O-line, and we have 3 NFL ready WR. Deboer won every coach of the year award. Yep, terribly overrated team that was a fluke. LOL

UW was 25-3 the last 2 years, with one of the toughest schedules over that time. They beat 4 Top 10 teams this year, and 6 Top 25 total, and the only loss was to the No. 1 team. Last year they beat 4 Top 25 teams (including a Top 10 team). Clearly an overrated team. There is no point in me explaining anything further because you clearly didn't watch UW play this year minus the Championship game.

Good luck with Deboer running a Pac-12 offense for your precious Bama. Guess we'll see if he was a "fluke" coach or if he is going to be a winner in the "almighty" SEC. Personally, I'm not happy he left, because I think he's an excellent coach. Now that he's made it to the "Big Boy Conference," I guess we'll find out!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The talk about them being a championship team must have mostly happened in the state of Washington. Nobody in the middle of the country thought much of them. And rightfully so. How many SEC teams have they beaten? Had they played in the SEC, we wouldn't have been having this conversation because they wouldn't even have made it to the conference championship.

You can cite all the stats you wish but they came against playing cupcake teams on the west coast. That great O line allowed Penix to get pounded against a real defense. Washington is just lucky the BCS screwed it up and made Alabama the 4th seed and left Georgia out or, again, this conversation would not be happening.

Leboer will love having an entire team of pro class athletes for the first time in his career.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
UW was talked about being a Championship team all year, so to say they were a fluke is insane. Many of the ESPN analysts had them winning the Pac-12 and playing for the Championship from the beginning of the year. Penix was the Maxwell Award winner (best player in football) and Heisman runner up, Odunze runner up in the Biletnikoff Award, the O-line won the Joe Moore award for best O-line, and we have 3 NFL ready WR. Deboer won every coach of the year award. Yep, terribly overrated team that was a fluke. LOL

UW was 25-3 the last 2 years, with one of the toughest schedules over that time. They beat 4 Top 10 teams this year, and 6 Top 25 total, and the only loss was to the No. 1 team. Last year they beat 4 Top 25 teams (including a Top 10 team). Clearly an overrated team. There is no point in me explaining anything further because you clearly didn't watch UW play this year minus the Championship game.

Good luck with Deboer running a Pac-12 offense for your precious Bama. Guess we'll see if he was a "fluke" coach or if he is going to be a winner in the "almighty" SEC. Personally, I'm not happy he left, because I think he's an excellent coach. Now that he's made it to the "Big Boy Conference," I guess we'll find out!
Here's the bottom line. You talk about how great Washington was but you didn't have the balls to back up your talk with a bet for 5 tins of tobacco. That says it all.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Here's the bottom line. You talk about how great Washington was but you didn't have the balls to back up your talk with a bet for 5 tins of tobacco. That says it all.

Me betting on my team says nothing. I don't bet on sports. So, because I didn't bet means I have no confidence in my team. That's lame... The closest I get to betting on sports is filling out a free bracket during the NCAA basketball tournament.

Anything can happen in sports, like the saying goes "any given Sunday." You know how many times the favorite team doesn't win the championship... all the time, and way too many to count. A perfect example is the game I'm currently watching, Dallas vs. Green Bay. GB the No. 7 team is killing Dallas the No. 2 team. Anything can happen in sports, so I don't bet on sports. I like to save my money for more useful things. ;)

Reactions: alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I’m just excited for the 12 team playoff. It will certainly make selections less controversial (at least a little less anyway) and we’ll have more than 4 bowl games that will actually mean something, maybe enough that draft class players may actually be bothered to play in them.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Fully agree Washington was very overrated, and never had a chance against the likes of Michigan, Bama, GA, etc., but this is not particularly fair. Some people don’t bet. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Doesn’t mean they don’t have confidence, “balls”, or truly believe their team can win. It just means they don’t bet.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
OK, the game is well over, so, who wants to comment on whether Saban is "the greatest college coach ever", or the one with the biggest budget and best recruiting team?
Both could be true. But one certainly helps the other, in either direction.

Between NIL and the transfer portal, the rich should continue to get richer, so we’ll see. Hopefully the 12 team playoff can shake things up a little bit and encourage some more balance. Even if its only in the top 25, that’s still better than having the same perennial top 4.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
OK, the game is well over, so, who wants to comment on whether Saban is "the greatest college coach ever", or the one with the biggest budget and best recruiting team?
No surprise, I think Saban clearly established himself as the greatest college football coach ever. His recruiting budget was quite high for sure but not higher than a number of others. I heard Utah gave all the scholarship football players a new Dodge Ram to drive and they aren't close to competing for a marginal championship.

I think the Washington coach was a great fit but time will tell. For his sake, he better be as the expectations are always A national Championship at Alabama. Assuming he doesn't lose a bunch of players to the transfer portal, he is inheriting fantastic talent.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Fully agree Washington was very overrated, and never had a chance against the likes of Michigan, Bama, GA, etc., but this is not particularly fair. Some people don’t bet. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Doesn’t mean they don’t have confidence, “balls”, or truly believe their team can win. It just means they don’t bet.
I agree to a degree. I would consider 5 tins of tobacco a fun, friendly wager, not a true bet. No issue with not accepting the wager. However, if I weren't willing to back my words up, I'd remain silent.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I agree to a degree. I would consider 5 tins of tobacco a fun, friendly wager, not a true bet. No issue with not accepting the wager. However, if I weren't willing to back my words up, I'd remain silent.
So anyone who is not willing to risk a financial consequence is not allowed to speculate on sports?

I don’t know man. I get where you’re coming from, but just feel differently I guess.

Maybe if a photo holding a “Michigan > UW” sign were the wager I could get on board 😂