Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I also think Michigan will demolish Washington.

Had I been the committee chairman, Washington would be unhappy too because they would have stayed home watching Georgia play. I want the best 4 teams playing each other for the championship.
Have to disagree on both accounts. As a Washington fan since the mid 80's and someone that watched every minute of every game, I have some thoughts...

First, Washington's strength of schedule was No. 8. Of the Top 6 teams, Texas 2, Alabama 6, Washington 8, Georgia 45, Michigan 51, and Florida State 55. So, to say that Washington would have been left out is insane. Sure, they didn't blow out many teams, but they also played a very tough schedule and beat, Arizona (now ranked No. 14), USC (No. 20), Oregon State (No. 10), Utah (No. 18), Oregon twice (No. 8, No 6), and now Texas (No. 3). That's really impressive especially having to playing a Top 25 team, 4 times in 5 weeks like they did at the end of the season. The unranked team was WSU in the Apple Cup which is one of the biggest games of the year as it's a huge rivalry. That was a gauntlet. Plus, you have schools like Bama and Georgia are playing FCS Appalachian State Tech blah blah in week 8, while Washington is playing ranked team after ranked team. So, lame that SEC schools can't even play a full conference schedule like Pac-12. In addition, analysts all year were saying that the Pac-12 was the toughest Conference in football, so yeah, Washington should have stayed home. That's so laughable.

Side note: Washington also played ASU with half its team battling flu systems, Penix was hurt, and it was pouring rain. Which explains that terrible effort, but still won. Washington played in 5 really bad weather games, (i.e. the Utah game with 20 mph winds affecting both teams throwing the ball, and the Oregon State game where it was dumping rain worse than the ASU game causing turnovers and sloppy play for both teams. So not only did they survive a tough schedule they also battled really tough elements. If you factor in the weather, Washington played the toughest schedule all year, so going 13-0 is truly impressive.

Second, Michigan played one good offensive team all year, and that was Ohio State. Let's see, Rutgers, Nebraska, Minnesota, Indiana, Michigan State (which UW destroyed), Purdue, Maryland, Iowa, and Penn State (decent offense). Of course, Michigan has the best ranked defense, because they didn't play any teams except one with a real offense. Washington has one of the best offenses in football, with the best throwing QB in Penix (should have won the Heisman), and best WR in Odunze (should have won the Biletnikoff Award). Washington has 4 excellent WR with Odunze, McMillian, Polk, Bernard, and two solid TE in Westover and Culp, and if Johnson is healthy a real good RB. Michigan will be hard-pressed to be able to cover all 3 starting WR and TE, and with the best offensive line in football (Joe Moore winners), if Penix has time in the pocket he'll pick Michigan's secondary apart. Their defensive backs won't be able to cover the best receiving core in football.

Where Washington will struggle is with Michigan's run game with Corum. If they can stop the run, or at least hold it in check, McCarthy won't out duel Penix especially with the mid-level WR Michigan has. Washington was the only defense to face over 500 pass attempts this season, so our linebackers and secondary are well seasoned. Washington has 10 guys with an INT, so they're capable of knocking down or intercepting passes. So, if Washington can hold Michigan's run offense, then I don't see Washington losing this game.

With all that said, the game still has to be played, but I like Washington's chances. Plus, the last time Washington won a National Championship, they embarrassed Michigan in the Rose Bowl, so it won't be the first time we beat Michigan to win the Natty!!!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Have to disagree on both accounts. As a Washington fan since the mid 80's and someone that watched every minute of every game, I have some thoughts...

First, Washington's strength of schedule was No. 8. Of the Top 6 teams, Texas 2, Alabama 6, Washington 8, Georgia 45, Michigan 51, and Florida State 55. So, to say that Washington would have been left out is insane. Sure, they didn't blow out many teams, but they also played a very tough schedule and beat, Arizona (now ranked No. 14), USC (No. 20), Oregon State (No. 10), Utah (No. 18), Oregon twice (No. 8, No 6), and now Texas (No. 3). That's really impressive especially having to playing a Top 25 team, 4 times in 5 weeks like they did at the end of the season. The unranked team was WSU in the Apple Cup which is one of the biggest games of the year as it's a huge rivalry. That was a gauntlet. Plus, you have schools like Bama and Georgia are playing FCS Appalachian State Tech blah blah in week 8, while Washington is playing ranked team after ranked team. So, lame that SEC schools can't even play a full conference schedule like Pac-12. In addition, analysts all year were saying that the Pac-12 was the toughest Conference in football, so yeah, Washington should have stayed home. That's so laughable.

Side note: Washington also played ASU with half its team battling flu systems, Penix was hurt, and it was pouring rain. Which explains that terrible effort, but still won. Washington played in 5 really bad weather games, (i.e. the Utah game with 20 mph winds affecting both teams throwing the ball, and the Oregon State game where it was dumping rain worse than the ASU game causing turnovers and sloppy play for both teams. So not only did they survive a tough schedule they also battled really tough elements. If you factor in the weather, Washington played the toughest schedule all year, so going 13-0 is truly impressive.

Second, Michigan played one good offensive team all year, and that was Ohio State. Let's see, Rutgers, Nebraska, Minnesota, Indiana, Michigan State (which UW destroyed), Purdue, Maryland, Iowa, and Penn State (decent offense). Of course, Michigan has the best ranked defense, because they didn't play any teams except one with a real offense. Washington has one of the best offenses in football, with the best throwing QB in Penix (should have won the Heisman), and best WR in Odunze (should have won the Biletnikoff Award). Washington has 4 excellent WR with Odunze, McMillian, Polk, Bernard, and two solid TE in Westover and Culp, and if Johnson is healthy a real good RB. Michigan will be hard-pressed to be able to cover all 3 starting WR and TE, and with the best offensive line in football (Joe Moore winners), if Penix has time in the pocket he'll pick Michigan's secondary apart. Their defensive backs won't be able to cover the best receiving core in football.

Where Washington will struggle is with Michigan's run game with Corum. If they can stop the run, or at least hold it in check, McCarthy won't out duel Penix especially with the mid-level WR Michigan has. Washington was the only defense to face over 500 pass attempts this season, so our linebackers and secondary are well seasoned. Washington has 10 guys with an INT, so they're capable of knocking down or intercepting passes. So, if Washington can hold Michigan's run offense, then I don't see Washington losing this game.

With all that said, the game still has to be played, but I like Washington's chances. Plus, the last time Washington won a National Championship, they embarrassed Michigan in the Rose Bowl, so it won't be the first time we beat Michigan to win the Natty!!!
If you'd like to wager 5 tins of premium Flake pipe tobacco on Washington, please let me know. We're Washington in the SEC or Big 10, we wouldn't be having this debate. However, I was impressed that Washington best Texas. And I'm a Penix fan, he is the real deal who I think will go high in the draft. Washington also has several NFL level receivers, the best one (don't remember name) is fabulous. If guys he is a to 10 pick, maybe top 5.

I think almost everything has to go right with the Washington and some things go wrong for Michigan for Washington to win. Washington also appears to be very well coached, so who knows, perhaps they can make it happen.

I stand by my statement. At the end of the season, there were 3 teams that stood above the rest. Alabama, Georgia and Michigan. 2 of those teams have won something like 7 or 8 of the last 10 championships. I enjoyed watching Washington, I won't be rooting against them. I just hope it is a competitive game.

If you wish to accept the friendly wager, let me know.

Reactions: krizzose
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
If you'd like to wager 5 tins of premium Flake pipe tobacco on Washington, please let me know. We're Washington in the SEC or Big 10, we wouldn't be having this debate. However, I was impressed that Washington best Texas. And I'm a Penix fan, he is the real deal who I think will go high in the draft. Washington also has several NFL level receivers, the best one (don't remember name) is fabulous. If guys he is a to 10 pick, maybe top 5.

I think almost everything has to go right with the Washington and some things go wrong for Michigan for Washington to win. Washington also appears to be very well coached, so who knows, perhaps they can make it happen.

I stand by my statement. At the end of the season, there were 3 teams that stood above the rest. Alabama, Georgia and Michigan. 2 of those teams have won something like 7 or 8 of the last 10 championships. I enjoyed watching Washington, I won't be rooting against them. I just hope it is a competitive game.

If you wish to accept the friendly wager, let me know.

I don't like to bet on my favorite sports teams. For me it's like a superstition. I don't want to jinx them. LOL

If Washington was in the Big 10 this year; the only tough game(s) they would have had would have been Michigan, and Ohio State and maybe Penn State. I think Washington rolls all the others. The Pac-12 was much better than the Big 10 this year. Personally, I think Oregon (which Washington beat twice) is a better team than Michigan and Ohio State. Which pains me to say, because I hate Oregon.

Like the Big 10, the SEC also had a down year. Which is why I think the Pac-12 was arguably the best conference this year. Bama is always tough, but they were way down compared to years past, and their defense this year wasn't that good. I think Washington beats Bama if they were matched up, because I don't think their defense can hold Penix and his core of WRs in check. Georgia should have been in over Bama as they're the better of the two teams, but Bama got the win, so they got in. Heck, Bama should have lost to Auburn, but Auburn was so bad they couldn't stop a 4th and 31 with no time left. Unbelievable. LOL

Of the top 6 teams the only team that scared me was Georgia, because they're good. Do I think Washington can beat them, yes, but they would need to play a really good game with no mistakes. Thankfully the Huskies only have to worry about Michigan.

Reactions: krizzose

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
As a Washington State Alum I am obligated to root for Michigan is this game for obvious reasons.

However, if it were any other team, I’d be rooting for the underdog against Michigan for sure, because I don’t think many people really expect UW to have any shot here.

It would suprise me if Michigan didn’t handle them relatively easily. Washington’s defense (especially pass defense) is not strong enough on paper to have much of a chance in this game.

But crazier things have happened. If the Giants can beat the Patriots in that one crazy super bowl, then the underdawg Fuskies could pull a huge upset here. You never know with big games, but all signs point to a big Michigan win.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Elric
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't like to bet on my favorite sports teams. For me it's like a superstition. I don't want to jinx them. LOL

If Washington was in the Big 10 this year; the only tough game(s) they would have had would have been Michigan, and Ohio State and maybe Penn State. I think Washington rolls all the others. The Pac-12 was much better than the Big 10 this year. Personally, I think Oregon (which Washington beat twice) is a better team than Michigan and Ohio State. Which pains me to say, because I hate Oregon.

Like the Big 10, the SEC also had a down year. Which is why I think the Pac-12 was arguably the best conference this year. Bama is always tough, but they were way down compared to years past, and their defense this year wasn't that good. I think Washington beats Bama if they were matched up, because I don't think their defense can hold Penix and his core of WRs in check. Georgia should have been in over Bama as they're the better of the two teams, but Bama got the win, so they got in. Heck, Bama should have lost to Auburn, but Auburn was so bad they couldn't stop a 4th and 31 with no time left. Unbelievable. LOL

Of the top 6 teams the only team that scared me was Georgia, because they're good. Do I think Washington can beat them, yes, but they would need to play a really good game with no mistakes. Thankfully the Huskies only have to worry about Michigan.
You think the Big 10 and SEC had a down year because those PAC 10 teams feast on crap competition. Were Washington in the Big 10 or SEC, they would have lost 2 or 3 games. We will see tomorrow night. I hope it's a good game, the Washington OL better play the game of their lives.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
You think the Big 10 and SEC had a down year because those PAC 10 teams feast on crap competition. Were Washington in the Big 10 or SEC, they would have lost 2 or 3 games. We will see tomorrow night. I hope it's a good game, the Washington OL better play the game of their lives.
Yes, they did. Who in the Big10 was good outside of Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State. Nobody. Washington's offense would have dominated all those teams except Michigan and Ohio State.

Pac-12 had 6 teams ranked at the beginning of the season, more than any other conference. Two in the Top 8. Arizona finished the year ranked, so that was 7 teams that were ranked in the Top 25 this year. Playing a 9-game conference schedule, they beat up on one another. Looking at the Bowl Season record, Pac-12 has done the best this year in bowl games. Clearly the conference has some good teams in it.

Washington has the best O line in football. Texas had two of the best interior defensive linemen in football this year, and they didn't do anything in that game. UW held them to like 3 pressures that was it.

For all those that think Michigan will blow out Washington, have not been paying attention. I think it will be a close game, but I think Washington pulls out the victory. 38-35. But we'll see...

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yes, they did. Who in the Big10 was good outside of Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State. Nobody. Washington's offense would have dominated all those teams except Michigan and Ohio State.

Pac-12 had 6 teams ranked at the beginning of the season, more than any other conference. Two in the Top 8. Arizona finished the year ranked, so that was 7 teams that were ranked in the Top 25 this year. Playing a 9-game conference schedule, they beat up on one another. Looking at the Bowl Season record, Pac-12 has done the best this year in bowl games. Clearly the conference has some good teams in it.

Washington has the best O line in football. Texas had two of the best interior defensive linemen in football this year, and they didn't do anything in that game. UW held them to like 3 pressures that was it.

For all those that think Michigan will blow out Washington, have not been paying attention. I think it will be a close game, but I think Washington pulls out the victory. 38-35. But we'll see...
But you apparently don't think it enough to risk 5 tins. LOL. Look, I hope it is a good game. I'm not a Michigan fan, I root for Alabama. We'll see how good that O line is because Michigan has the best D line I think.

I think Michigan will run the ball down Washington's throat. They won't want to give Penix the ball any more than they have to. I think Michigan will apply more pressure than Penix has seen to date. I think Penix will be forced to scramble and also run more than he is comfortable with. To the extent he can do that successfully will determine the outcome of the game. We'll know about this time tomorrow night.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It's good they're going to 12 teams next year. I'm tired of seeing the committee putting these teams from second rate conferences in the playoffs and ultimately ending up with a blow out in the playoffs. Had the committee had any balls, Michigan would have been the 1 seed, Alabama the 2 seed. Then we would have been able to see a competitive game in the Championship. Georgia clearly should have been in the playoffs and probably Ohio State. Then we would have been able to watch the real 4 best teams in college football. With 12 teams in, that should minimize the whining and the wannabes will be eliminated before the final 4 so we can see competitive games at that point.

It won't be much different next year. Alabama is a very young team and brings most everyone back along with another stellar recruiting class. Georgia the same. I'm sure Michigan and Ohio State will be strong again. Everyone else is playing for 5th place.