PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
As Chuck Woolery would have said, "back in two and two", lol. Whew.

Back to the tea -- decided to give Harney & Sons a try with tins of Irish Breakfast and Paris. Winter is here and tea in the evenings is great.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Darjeeling-
I mostly drink single plantation Darjeeling teas. I buy it it directly online from a broker in the Darjeeling district in India where it is grown in the hills before the Himalayan mountains. This perhaps sounds a bit extreme, but with the internet it’s rather easy to have it land on my doorstep in the PNW.

The tea comes loose in bulk and various amounts and has slightly differing characteristics depending on the plantation it originated from and the seasonal harvest. These variances are analogous to different vineyards and years in wines and particular harvests and regional characteristics with tobaccos.

Darjeeling generally has a delicate muscatel flavor but it can also have delicate vegetal, mossy, fruity, and citrus flavors. Though Darjeeling is an Indian-grown tea, the leaves or bushes themselves are actually primarily Chinese varieties. Like good coffees it is the terrain and climate that work a magic on the plants. It's generally lighter and less astringent than most black tea, but more layered and complex than most greens.

There are more accessible varieties or bagged and loose Darjeeling available at your local grocery from Twinning, Stash and others if you want to give it a spin. While these are not bad they are blended for consistency and so might be comparable to blended scotch or OTC tobaccos… good sometimes but normally not outstanding, however these are a great way to experience Darjeeling and see if the flavor profiles are appealing to you.

What’s the address of your online Darjeeling Broker?

Also for me Darjeeling is the everyday choice of an excellent cup o tea. I also like strong, malty assam, with cream & sugar, especially when it’s getting cold and a Latakia is in reaches.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I'm pretty old school when it comes to tea - been drinking it since I was 6 at my grandmother's and great grandmother's: was about 3/4 milk, 1/4 tea and two good teaspoons of sugar. Over time the ratios have changed - but still a good cuppa tea. On average, I'm drinking a good 9-10 cups/mugs a day. Usually with a spot of milk; sometimes with a couple teaspoons of sugar. Learned later that this is the way the workmen drink their tea in the UK. Brands? PG Tips my very favourite - but no longer available unless imported, in Canada. Switched to Typhoo which is no longer available as well! Yorkshire is still available when I've gotten through my 20 or so Typhoo boxes. Like Twinnings Irish Breakfast & Black Current. Drink Earl Grey occassionally. Ahmad London No. 1 was a discovery. If I'm going fancier - Kusmi St. Petersburg or Prince Vladimir.
I discovered Hong Kong Milk tea too a few years ago watching a video on Hong Kong tea culture - very strong, sugary black tea, brewed in a "stocking" and mixed with condensed milk. Buy it regularly in Chinatown - hot.
Love Lapsang Souchong as well -a black, smoked tea - drink it daily.
Tricks: NEVER, I repeat NEVER wash out your tea pot!!!! You can rince it with boiling water, but never scrub it out. My mother-in-law, as a favour to me, did that to my silver teapot that had built up a 10 year plus cake in it. Not pleased.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

DrTeeth

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2022
Indiana
shiftdrinkpodcast.com
Never been much of a tea person myself, but recently found that Thai Iced Tea pairs perfectly with English tobaccos. Tea and coffee are just rabbit holes that I haven’t traveled down yet. I (think) I can appreciate a nice tea. But I couldn’t tell you why or use a tea-specific vocabulary to describe it.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Never been much of a tea person myself, but recently found that Thai Iced Tea pairs perfectly with English tobaccos. Tea and coffee are just rabbit holes that I haven’t traveled down yet. I (think) I can appreciate a nice tea. But I couldn’t tell you why or use a tea-specific vocabulary to describe it.
Took me too long to get into teas. Next to the first bowl of tobacco each day, usually with coffee (sometimes with Earl Gray Tea), my next favorite bowl is after dinner with a cup of Earl Gray Decaf. Teas are less in your face and take a bit longer to appreciate. I'm clearly a tea neophyte but I know enough now to be dangerous and know I like them. I'm not spending much on tobacco these days, no way I want too much money to accumulate when I can find another enjoyable habit to spend it on.

PeterPumpkin

Lurker
Nov 18, 2022
Has anyone tried green tangerine pu-ehr tea? It’s a fermented tea that is packed inside a small dried green tangerine. Without a sweetener, it’s slightly bitter from the tangerine, but I enjoy it straight up. Historically, the tea was fermented so it would keep for long journeys. I’m not sure how the tangerine package originated. Interesting stuff, and somewhat of a treat

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Has anyone tried green tangerine pu-ehr tea? It’s a fermented tea that is packed inside a small dried green tangerine. Without a sweetener, it’s slightly bitter from the tangerine, but I enjoy it straight up. Historically, the tea was fermented so it would keep for long journeys. I’m not sure how the tangerine package originated. Interesting stuff, and somewhat of a treat
No, but that does sound special and probably quite tasty

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Tasting notes: Harney & Sons Paris has some element (sweet but cloying) that stands out to me in an odd way - I drank it and I think I could learn to like it, but it will be a few more cups before make up my mind for sure, but early returns are mixed.

Harney & Sons Irish Breakfast is exactly what I was hoping for - strong, rich, bold (that's all I've got, haha). Brewed a double batch (my tea strainer fits perfectly in one of our insulated mugs), added three "raw" sugar cubes and enjoyed it on a brisk afternoon on the deck yesterday while trying a couple of tobaccos. Paired well with University Flake and Ye Olde Signe, and a later bowl of Bankside (had to microwave the remaining tea after 2 hours, lol, to get ready for that one). I could see it as a great morning tea. Still have to have my coffee, but would have no problem taking some to work on a winter morning or like today, have some mid-morning in about an hour or so. Good stuff.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
As Chuck Woolery would have said, "back in two and two", lol. Whew.

Back to the tea -- decided to give Harney & Sons a try with tins of Irish Breakfast and Paris. Winter is here and tea in the evenings is great.
I really enjoy thr Harney Paris tea. I enjoy a cup on occasion in the evening. They also have a French lavender that's good, again another evening tea for me.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Tasting notes: Harney & Sons Paris has some element (sweet but cloying) that stands out to me in an odd way - I drank it and I think I could learn to like it, but it will be a few more cups before make up my mind for sure, but early returns are mixed.

Harney & Sons Irish Breakfast is exactly what I was hoping for - strong, rich, bold (that's all I've got, haha). Brewed a double batch (my tea strainer fits perfectly in one of our insulated mugs), added three "raw" sugar cubes and enjoyed it on a brisk afternoon on the deck yesterday while trying a couple of tobaccos. Paired well with University Flake and Ye Olde Signe, and a later bowl of Bankside (had to microwave the remaining tea after 2 hours, lol, to get ready for that one). I could see it as a great morning tea. Still have to have my coffee, but would have no problem taking some to work on a winter morning or like today, have some mid-morning in about an hour or so. Good stuff.
I can't drink the Paris in the morning, it's too aromatic. For me, it's a nice movie watching tea.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Just "straight" pu-ehr tea I like as well - a really earthy taste - sounds not that great, but it is. Goes great with a pipe as well.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I

Irish Breakfast is a great one - nice and strong and malty. Watching Bjorn Rippen pipe videos, I got the idea too of adding a little "glug" of brown rum to my tea as well when I'm smoking outside in the winter. The sweetness of the rum is a nice compliment to the tannin in the tea. I always thought of adding a bit of alcohol to coffee, but I never realized it would go so well with tea too.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I prefer black tea blends over single varietals. Will soon try, (though not til Christmas as it is to be a Christmas present to me), a new to me blend that my tea purveyor calls royal breakfast blend. It's a blend of teas from Assam, Sri Lanka and Yunnan. Do like Yunnan teas so should be interesting. Getting a pound of the stuff. I only drink tea twice a week so this and the pound of Scottish breakfast blend I'd bought a month ago should last me a year.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Wonderful tea (coffee) thread!
I drink a cup of espresso first thing in the morning and a cup of coffee with breakfast.
I enjoy many black, green and herbal teas during the day and after dinner.
I have two great local stores in Boise that provide bulk teas. I have ordered tea from Amazon, but really like buying from Mountain Rose Herbs.

Favorite teas:
Oolong
Gunpowder green
Pu’erh
Kenya Black
Earl Grey
Rooibos

I have a well stocked herbal tea cabinet and enjoy them in the evening or as a medicinal aid for colds, flu... lymph and liver cleanse...sleep aid
We also grow several herbs that we dry and store for cooking, teas and tinctures.

Reactions: edger