PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
The guy that owns yhe business and roasts all the coffee is a Marine. I stopped asking questions. ?
Just a follow up. I had tried some of the Iron Bean Coffee Co. on @Streeper541's recommendation around Christmastime and thought it was good. I tend to bounce around with my roasted bean orders. Decided to order and try another of their roasts. I got an email thanking me for being a return customer and for my business from Fred, whom I presume is the owner. I'm sure I'm on a list of sorts, but don't subscribe and not signed up for anything, so truly a personal note - that's pretty nice! I'll expect to post up a steaming mug next Saturday.

Brewfan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 5, 2021
Louisville, KY, USA
I've managed to whittle my coffee subscriptions down to three, Black Rifle, Collectivo in Milwaukee, and Heine Brothers in Louisville. I supplement those with single purchases of local roasts and special editions.

Yes, my "special edition" fomo problem extends past pipe tobacco. It's equally strong for coffee and bourbon.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I grow an herb called Tulsi that is often referred to as Holy Basil in the states. It is sort of a "blueberry basil" kind of flavor. I can harvest it a few times a year, dry it on cheesecloth I've got strung between my garage door overhead rails, then strip it from the stems and bag it.

It's rather a bit of work overall, but I let some of it go to seed every year and spreads throughout my herb garden quite well. I haven't had to plant any in 5 years now. It can be a little expensive to purchase in the stores when I've seen it.

My wife is addicted to it. Loves it and drinks it hot all the time.

It is one of the top 5 Ayurvedic herbs in their medicinal realm. Considered to be an "astringent" or "tonic". Quite healthy overall.

On the temp - I know some leaves do better at certain degrees but in general I've found that I don't like my water boiled too "hard", and sometimes I like it best just before it hits that rolling boil point. I've no idea why, just me.

Yerba matte is an interesting drink from South America I've enjoyed
You may wish to consider buying this as an essential oil. It may be more cost effective and certainly less processing on your behalf.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
You may wish to consider buying this as an essential oil. It may be more cost effective and certainly less processing on your behalf.
It's a bit expensive - either as a tea or an oil, and we utilize it primarily as a tea so I go through the effort of processing. It's a rather mindless activity for much of it and sometimes I like those activities. And I get the satisfaction of it being "mine" without assistance from others. (Independence & all)

I never have to plant or cultivate it anymore as I've let so much go to seed - all I need to do is let it grow where it pops up and gather it when I wish.

Now, on the oils, I'm looking at the possibility of getting a still; purely for processing my herbs into essential oils of course, I'd never use it for anything else... That could be another fun activity of independence. ;)

Brewfan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 5, 2021
Louisville, KY, USA
Never really bonded with tea. Coffee in the morning, usually Petes and water for the rest of the day. Moving back to french press soon.
I love a good french press, but havent invested in a good one since I got old and quality started to matter to me. I'm running a Breville espresso machine with an electric kettle for Americanos. I'm making the best coffee I've ever had.

Chitra

Lurker
Jul 18, 2022
I love my coffee in the morning, but I enjoy tea also. My tea of choice is Earl Grey, but I have fond memories of Oolong Tea and Jasmine Tea, because those are the teas we had when I received my two black belts in Kung Fu. Every time I drink them I think of those special moments.
Yes, when you take a cup of tea, It will remind you of some moments from the past. I used to drink Darjeeling black tea by Doko because it helps in improve Immunity and boosts our Digestion system. for more details click here!

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
My wife is Chinese so lots of black tea in the house,but I would like to quit coffee completely and go to an English tea. Any suggestions?
Highly recommend the 3 on the top row. They are readily available and style-standards. English breakfast tea is good but there are probably ones I like better than this. It is still “good” though.993A740B-8F15-4FBE-94B4-BFFFB9D575CC.jpeg

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
The Brits on BBC seem to make a ritual of preparing quality tea, bulk, warmed tea pot them dump several tea spoons of sugar and cream that ruins the taste ?
Is this different than people that do the same with coffee?

I like coffee and tea both straight up, but people have their own preferences and they can do what they want with their money.

To me it's also the same as people dumping high end bourbon into Coke. Yes, quality liquor makes a better drink (for me that would the Manhattan or Mai Tai), but I don't apply that logic when mixing with just Coke! ;)

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I love tea -- black or green, hot or iced -- but I can't drink it. I've learned over stubborn decades, for me, it causes kidney stones. Coffee yes, but alas, I have to do decaf these days, though I much prefer caffeinated. I thought I was past that tea problem, but another reminder on the stones, and I had to quit. Tea has a wonderful mood-lifting effect.
Kidney stones are the worst , I’ve been there. I’m guessing you have a variety that tea in a no go? from your post. I had the calcium kind and was told I needed to drink more water ( lots more water) and I always do for like 6 weeks after I see the Dr. This reminds me better get back on the water train.Wondering if there is a way you can hydrate enough to where you can enjoy a cup here and there? Or is it just a no go? Sorry for you if so, but you can still enjoy a smoke and that’s a good…

PeterPumpkin

Lurker
Nov 18, 2022
Interesting note about Oolong tea; the word means “black dragon”, and is sometimes also used to refer to obstacles or problems. A young Chinese lady I’ve been friends with for several years is from Fujian province, and a while ago, she messaged me and said “I didn’t realize there would be so many oolongs”, when talking about a situation.

Reactions: Egg Shen

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Interesting note about Oolong tea; the word means “black dragon”, and is sometimes also used to refer to obstacles or problems. A young Chinese lady I’ve been friends with for several years is from Fujian province, and a while ago, she messaged me and said “I didn’t realize there would be so many oolongs”, when talking about a situation.
You should introduce her to SumYun Guy

PeterPumpkin

Lurker
Nov 18, 2022
You should introduce her to SumYun Guy
She lives in western Canada and wants to return here to Toronto. Her English is fine, but she often communicates with me in Chinese (written). I’ve learned I must run things through a minimum of 2 translation programs if there’s any question at all of the meaning of a message. She wants very much to marry me and have a family (interesting proposition, as I have no kids). I look far younger than my actual age of 60, and she’s a lovely young lady of 26. A while ago, she essentially proposed to me, but then the first translation said “but you can’t beat me to death”. It took a bit of head scratching and 2 additional translations for me to understand that she was telling me she didn’t want me to die before her. Needless to say, some of my friends have seized upon that and have told their wives “I’m probably going to beat you to death one day“.