PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
IMAG0529.jpg

Nope. The presses and formulas and such are, but their processing equipment is not
Ummm, whatever. That is not ancient equipment. I mean, the trays may be... The funny thing about the differences between Americans and the English is that the English think 100 miles is really far away, and Americans think 100 years old is really ancient. puffy

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
7cLc4xBqXiOjHi2x2PQQIoRyVnnN1xM8-UgrDuCONh9P88UaVdS3qDpVHV63Yi2qYyXaBatpCOjCJhL4BU1kMTS-NboBm3Px7Q8-pGf-_J81y4BLWk3t__E9bcAeDrs

wJPbQij.jpg

right I’d say this stuff is turn of the century. Lots of factories even in the US use stuff that’s this old. At the athleticwear factory where I used to work some of the looms were well over 100 years old.

• Wow
Reactions: 3rdguy and JOHN72
What? Their new building is state of the art. There is no telling how old these pictures are, or whether they are just posting some marketing bullshit. But, Woodsroads (I believe) posted some pictures of their new building (lots of modern stonework and glass) and modern equipment maybe a tad over a year ago. Sure, keep posting the old pictures. That doesn't prove anything. And, it just perpetuates this forum mythology of the company. And, talk about way taking a post off track guys. Thanks! You could have made your own thread. Maybe it would have provoked a better discussion.

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019

Bah... these upstarts and their production necessitated upon on all manner of "steam" apparatus. I long for the days when the leaf was convened the old way, as intended. The déclassé impedimenta produced by these new methods isn't worth the space it would take up in my Tow shirt much less my Surtout.

Reactions: BROBS

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
Great thread. SP tobacco sales are up, but why? I suspect its more related to cellaring than an increase in the number of pipe smokers.
Why, you might ask, would cellaring increase? Internet access and social media.

Reactions: BROBS
Great thread. SP tobacco sales are up, but why? I suspect its more related to cellaring than an increase in the number of pipe smokers.
Why, you might ask, would cellaring increase? Internet access and social media.
Of course, in my area, I have seen pipesmokers out and about with pipes here, even before I started. And, I've noticed more people at The Briary since, also. Before covid, our pipe club had actually outgrown the Briary's smoking lounge. And, I run into guys smoking in their trucks while awaiting their wife shopping at the grocers more lately.
I wouldn't be surprised if there was an upswing in smokers, especially in our area with a great B&M like The Briary.

I have yet to see a pipe smoker outdoors (in modern times).
Another reason for increased cellaring: Fear of tobacco legislation.
I have no idea where you're located, but if you are in traffic in Central Alabama, you may just see several people smoking pipes in their cars or trucks, just within a few minutes of each other. I attribute this to having an excellent B&M in our area, but RYO places are also increasing our folds by selling pipes for smoking bagged tobaccos they sell. This is how I got into pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.