Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only order from you guys, smokingpipes.com. So, in perusing your tobacco selections, you are out of more things than you have in stock. I understand yearly inventory, etc... But, the last three orders I've made, I made out of default because you didn't have anything I wanted.
I'm rooting for you. I want to give you my money, but you gotta give me something I want.
Until then, I guess I will just hold off spending my money. You probably don't want me to find another retailer, because when I find one I like, I stick with them.

Keep in mind, I hate sales. They're for poor people. And, I have three months worth of tobacco money just burning a hole in my pocket. If you'll give me just one thing on my list, I can stimulate the economy substantially, singlehandedly.

Fill back out your C&D bulks, and put a raging fire on Gawith. I'd call them up, and blast them limey bastards with expletives.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Well, you could try Pipes & Cigars. Their page will tell you it is in inventory and let you order it. In a week or two, you'll find out they didn't have it and you have to call, wait a half hour and deal with a moron before you get your refund.

On a more serious note, I'm not sure what vendor you think has more on the shelf. Most are fairly bare this time of the year.

I'm not sure what vendor you think has more on the shelf. Most are fairly bare this time of the year.
It has been months since SP.com has had anything on my list. I just checked their bulks and unless someone likes those sticky aromatics, they're shit outa luck.

Yeh, I have no idea what anyone else has, because as I've said, when I have a retailer I like, I stick with them. But, if anyone can steer me to someone else who has stock, I might just turn my back on SP.com.
Surely, someone at SP knows someone who has influence over C&D, ha ha. Can't they at least keep them hipster slackers working till they get some stock back up?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It has been months since SP.com has had anything on my list. I just checked their bulks and unless someone likes those sticky aromatics, they're shit outa luck.

Yeh, I have no idea what anyone else has, because as I've said, when I have a retailer I like, I stick with them. But, if anyone can steer me to someone else who has stock, I might just turn my back on SP.com.
Surely, someone at SP knows someone who has influence over C&D, ha ha. Can't they at least keep them hipster slackers working till they get some stock back up?
sorry not sorry I've seen your list and every time they get some in I order all of it. I don't smoke it I use it as kitty litter. Only doing it cause imagining your face after hearing this makes me laugh.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think it's just SP. Other sites also show many "out of stock" tobacco items. Some of them have been out of stock for a year or more. There's some hitch in the supply chain. The fact that items remain on offer though "out of stock" makes me think that the retailers expect them to come back around. One retailer offers estate pipes on a regular basis when about two thirds are sold. So what's that about? Troubles in pipe and pipe tobacco retail. I think it is partly lack of site maintenance, but it is more than that, I intuit. What, I don't know.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
My guess is pandemic + new regulations has production slowing to a trickle. C&D is likely producing the stuff they know is going to fly off the shelves while also being easier/more cost effective to produce. I’m guessing an aromatic comprised of burley/Virginia and some sauce is quicker and cheaper to produce, and the components are probably stocked heavily at the producer’s warehouse...whereas stuff like Habana Daydream that has cigar leaf and god only knows what else takes more time and uses more stock of leaf that might be harder to get at the moment...plus the new regs and getting it kosher with the law might play a part in what’s produced and shipped out.

Also-simple things may be harder to get these days....stuff like nitrile gloves, bags, printer ink—stuff that we as consumers don’t even think about but may be essential for the production process.
And all that even before it gets to a retailer-and then they have issues of their own.
All just a guess. I know nothing.

My guess is
I’ve got guesses too, but speculation rarely gets anything done. It would be nice if the suppliers gave it to us straight. Is this a supply problem that is temporary... or permanent? Or is this just demand?

should we all dig up our yards and grow as much as we can? Or, should we just look elsewhere? Or be patient? I hate waiting for a taxi that I’m not sure is on its way or not.

someone got some Gawith in stock past week. If Laudsi is handling imports for them, why did they not stock up?

Yeh, Hoosier, I could just look elsewhere, and say screw ‘em, but they have supported the forum the longest. Stuck with is through dents and molds. Answered hard questions for us in the past. Thick and thin, I’ll give them a chance before I start making accounts elsewhere.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I only order from you guys, smokingpipes.com. So, in perusing your tobacco selections, you are out of more things than you have in stock. I understand yearly inventory, etc... But, the last three orders I've made, I made out of default because you didn't have anything I wanted.
I'm rooting for you. I want to give you my money, but you gotta give me something I want.
Until then, I guess I will just hold off spending my money. You probably don't want me to find another retailer, because when I find one I like, I stick with them.

Keep in mind, I hate sales. They're for poor people. And, I have three months worth of tobacco money just burning a hole in my pocket. If you'll give me just one thing on my list, I can stimulate the economy substantially, singlehandedly.

Fill back out your C&D bulks, and put a raging fire on Gawith. I'd call them up, and blast them limey bastards with expletives.
You can probably get all you want by ordering from China.

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
We've said it before, but we would love to have more tobacco to sell and we always order more than we end up getting. There's a lot of factors in the supply chain, but it's generally just because everyone is selling more tobacco collectively than we were several years ago. Some things (Gawith Hoggarth & Co.) were in short supply due to a change in distribution AND massive increase in demand. The first shipment that Laudisi Distribution received was huge, but it wasn't enough to meet the demand after such a long absence.

Other brands (Wessex, Rattray's, McConnell's) are in a similar position, and it just takes time for a bunch of tobacco to arrive by sea, which has been made worse by general transit issues caused by the pandemic that have affected most industries. It takes longer to get here, so it's out of stock longer, and more people are looking for it all the time...

Everyone is making more tobacco than they did ten years ago; it's not a supply issue as much as it's a demand issue. And I can't speak for any of these tobacco manufacturers, but I'm sure that they can't just make as much as they have a demand for overnight. That's how products end up changing, really, and no one wants that. I've seen a similar trend in Scotch whisky and American whiskey over the last ten years. Many more folks are "into" it now, and it takes time for barrels you laid down a few years ago to be ready. Or, they start selling 6 year-old bourbon for 20% more than people used to pay for their 10 year-old juice...

It's unfortunate, but signing up for In Stock Notifications is the way to go. Now, if there's really something you've been looking for, shoot me a message and I'll see if I can help. I should also add that while we do wish we had more of all of these tobaccos, there's very little aside from Esoterica and (last year) Gawith Hoggarth & Co. that hasn't come in regularly. They just sell out so quickly, even with per-order limits in place.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yeh, Hoosier, I could just look elsewhere, and say screw ‘em, but they have supported the forum the longest. Stuck with is through dents and molds. Answered hard questions for us in the past. Thick and thin, I’ll give them a chance before I start making accounts elsewhere.

Maybe it's just me, but were I SP, I'd rather you quietly purchase a few orders elsewhere than trash me on a major website for lack of inventory. Not to bruise your ego but SP could probably survive at least thru the end of the year if you started making accounts elsewhere. I think you were just in the mood to bitch about something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.