PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't like tobacco shortages, but I do like to hear that demand is outstripping supply............... that's a good sign for us, tells me this hobby is thriving...........
and even better then that. That people who are trying it now are willing to buy and smoke several types of tobacco. Which means a good chance of more and more interesting blends coming out.

Aug 1, 2012
I’ve wondered if the supply has been drying up. It’s not just fancy stuff. How long can you be out of something like Carter Hall?
I was about to write the same thing. I do like SP and will keep supporting them but had to get my boveda packs elsewhere because I wanted some Carter Hall in the same order. Not a knock on the company but a bit puzzling that a popular otc like that was out of stock...for a while.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Shane beat me to the punch on part of this, but I wanted to answer the C&D part, speaking for C&D:

We grew capacity at C&D by about 20% in 2020, while sales grew by 37%....

Sykes

Congrats on YoY revenue growth of 37%....that's a big number, let alone in a turbulent year. Could you share a high-level on where demand is coming from vis-a-vie domestic vs. Overseas (mainly China)? Some of your customers may of course take delivery in the U.S. and re-ship overseas.....but I'm betting you of course have a handicap on what's generally driving such a sharp increase in demand the last few years.

Would be interesting to hear if US demand is up X% and the prime driver (of tight stocks) or it's stacked up against XX% demand growth overseas. Kind of an odd market in that you could never meet/see another pipe-smoker in the 'wild' (outside a pipe-specific gathering) but tobacco sales are booming. Would be interesting to hear if it's a relatively small number of domestic buyers that make relatively large purchases or if net-new business overseas is really that sky-high. Thanks!

and when it comes to manufacturers like G&H and JP Germains its is worth noticing these are rather small ,oldfashion outfits with ancient machinery which main market is still in the UK ,and aside from America there are China/Russian market 'calling for more , they simply can't keep up with the demand,
I was under the impression that the old machinery of GH&co were mostly treated like museum relics since the merger with SG. And, that they were now using newer technology for all of their runs.

I don’t believe so. They just streamlined some processes from what I understand.
Someone not too long ago posted pictures from the place that showed the equipment in some sort of museum like setting at the factory with signs on it explaining how it was used, then posted pics on newer equipment doing their cutting and pressing. I think that them using this ancient equipment is a forum mythology. Not 100% sure, but I've seen more evidence that is was just relics they show off than not.

Reactions: ofafeather

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Someone not too long ago posted pictures from the place that showed the equipment in some sort of museum like setting at the factory with signs on it explaining how it was used, then posted pics on newer equipment doing their cutting and pressing. I think that them using this ancient equipment is a forum mythology. Not 100% sure, but I've seen more evidence that is was just relics they show off than not.
That was the old location that they were renovating into condos or offices or the like. ?

their equipment is old, but not that kind of old ?

Reactions: ofafeather

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
chris-gawith-002-2-768x1024.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.