PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
I've tried to intentionally gouge the wood of a well-smoked hobby block pipe with a reamer so I have a sense of tolerances, only to find that you (I) really need to try hard to get briar shavings out of it. Briar's tough! And I'm talking getting a tiny shaving out of the wood, that can't be terminal damage!
If you're finding it hard to damage your pipe with a reamer I can send you an old hedgehog reamer. It'll make it much easier for you.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What is your technique and what do you use to get the stems restored so well?
A lighter and a wet paper towel to remove the oxidation. For the mirror shine, I buff them with my thumb and a tiny amount of plain white toothpaste. I've got a thread that demonstrates it, but youtube deleted my videos for improper content : tobacco use.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
A lighter and a wet paper towel to remove the oxidation. For the mirror shine, I buff them with my thumb and a tiny amount of plain white toothpaste. I've got a thread that demonstrates it, but youtube deleted my videos for improper content : tobacco use.

Thanks!
I’m going to put this work tomorrow. I have 4 pipes I need to clean up.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks!
I’m going to put this work tomorrow. I have 4 pipes I need to clean up.
Give this a look over as well.?

Reactions: Briar Lee

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Right on! Thanks
I’ve got a denatured alcohol burner that I’ve used over the years to glue broad heads on my homemade wooden arrows. I think this will be the perfect tool to use. That way I have both hands free to slowly heat and wipe off the stem. He doesn’t really address how to get oxidation away from the logo? The one I’m going to work on first is an old Kaywoodie. Want to try to save the logo if possible.

Reactions: Briar Lee