PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ABel7son

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2020
New York City
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I should be getting in the mail from England three old used pipes two Petersons and a Hardcastles Camden . has anyone compared the results of a good professional cleaning by sending them out for reconditioning which is about $20 a pipe, or doing it yourself at home with alcohol Say 40% in a vodka or denatured alcohol and then rinsing it out with 40% vodka, with pipe cleaners and then the salt and vodka solution in the bowl? I have a very simple tool for reaming the bowl not the professional one. Do you want to get down to the bare wood? And build a new cake?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Depends on the pipe condition and the results you would like. You can get a lot done with basic supplies: pipe cleaners, q-tips, high proof alcohol - the higher the better, a reamer.

If the pipes are in reasonable shape run alcohol soaked cleaners through the stem until they come out clean. Do the same for the shank. Used q-tips on the mortise. Trim the cake back - it doesn’t need to go to bare wood unless you want to check the bowl for any weakness. Clean the interior of the bowl with alcohol, as well as the exterior of the stem.

There are various ways of dealing with the cosmetics of the stem and exterior of the pipe but if you do the above the pipe will be basically smokable. You might want to start there and then see if you want to take it further or send them out.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I think you will get a great sense of satisfaction cleaning up an estate yourself.

I suppose it depends on the cost and quality of the pipe in question. $20 spent on a pipe costing more than $150 is not a lot. But if it's a $15-30 estate, it might not be good value.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Go easy with the reaming. New pipe smokers can do terminal damage even with a good professional tool. With estate pipes, you mostly have to ream, though a minority of smokers don't build cake. We wipe out the bowl after scooping, with a paper towel and maintain the original chamber size and a thin carbon layer. Do your first restorations with pipes you can afford to lose.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I’ve grown tired of hiring someone to ruin my pipes.

Go on Rebornpipes.com and enjoy all the glorious restoration content.
This and this. Rebornpipes is a treasure trove of information.

Well what's the flame method
I will let embers answer, but essentially, it is 'painting' the stem with a soft flame to bring out the oxidation, then wiping it away with a wet paper towel.

I'm trying that method on the stem of my green Grabow I'm cleaning up.

As for the send/restore yourself debate, once you start breathing life I to old pipes it becomes a hobby into itself, very rewarding.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Go easy with the reaming. New pipe smokers can do terminal damage even with a good professional tool. With estate pipes, you mostly have to ream, though a minority of smokers don't build cake. We wipe out the bowl after scooping, with a paper towel and maintain the original chamber size and a thin carbon layer. Do your first restorations with pipes you can afford to lose.

Hello sir!

I've just reamed 5 of my most-used pipes, they were due for a clean as being in lockdown means I smoke more than I did and they had gotten quite tasteless indicating they needed attention as I think I haven't done a deep clean for at least 6 months. I reamed after water cleaning, until I could feel smooth wood again. I'm always surprised by how cake creeps up on me even though as you say, I also clean thoroughly after every smoke with a couple of twisted paper towels. Some of the chambers I just reamed are noticeably larger, in one I can see the lathe marks (it is a homemade pipe) again so I know I've reached its original state, another chamber I know I can fit my finger in, yet couldn't anymore before the ream.

The question though is, on the bolded, I've read it before but can you really? I'm not a new pipe smoker, and believe me I've tried to intentionally gouge the wood of a well-smoked hobby block pipe with a reamer so I have a sense of tolerances, only to find that you (I) really need to try hard to get briar shavings out of it. Briar's tough! And I'm talking getting a tiny shaving out of the wood, that can't be terminal damage! Perhaps some people wouldn't ever want to buy a pipe which shows even the tiniest of gouging in the chamber, but these are mine and won't be selling them any time soon. I guess you could argue that gouging the wood may create the start of a weak spot which may eventually burn out, which brings me to thinking that new pipe smokers can mostly ruin a pipe by smoking hot as hell, all the time rather than by trying to remove cake.

Now, need to give them until evening to dry, can't wait for that reamed fresh taste, tastes like caviar.