Status
Not open for further replies.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Folks,

As a recent born again pipe smoker I went for Clan and it is nostalgically lovely. Local supermarket only stocks: Clan, Gold Block, St Bruno and Condor. I'm guessing these are the last men standing after the attrition against smoking in all its forms in the UK. That must mean something.

D. :)
My local Co-Op only sells Condor Ready Rubbed 25G. I've smoked 4 pouches since receiving my latest clay pipe last week, but I'm giving up the pipe this month to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support in memory of a friend who died of cancer 2 years ago.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
We heard it with an accent alright. Unfortunately it was Ford Kiernan's and Greg Hemphill's "Glesgay Banter" we heard it in! rotfrotfrotf

Sorry. Had to be done. I watch as much Scottish comedy television as I can get here in the US. "Still Game" is my favorite.

Off topic but I've lost count how many times I've watched Still Game episodes over and over again. The first 4/5 seasons especially had some superb writing in them and countless one-liners that I'll use in conversations ?

You're Weclome ;)

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and shanez

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
If I see anyone smoking a pipe in the street in the UK I have to stop them and ask " whats in your pipe" I just can't stop my self.The reply is either St Bruno or Clan nothing else.I once saw a guy about 6'8 in a kilt at a Bluegrass festival smoking a cob I thought this will be interesting it wasn't.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
If I see anyone smoking a pipe in the street in the UK I have to stop them and ask " whats in your pipe" I just can't stop my self.The reply is either St Bruno or Clan nothing else.I once saw a guy about 6'8 in a kilt at a Bluegrass festival smoking a cob I thought this will be interesting it wasn't.
Same here!

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Same here; if I meet anyone smoking a pipe I have to ask them what they're smoking in it and sometimes they'll let me have a bit to smoke in my clay pipe.
Although most seem to smoke the common "Over the counter" blends, there have been one or two exceptions, such as the re-enactor I met at Bolsover Castle that gave me a pouch of Captain Black Cherry he'd brought back from the USA, while another pipe smoker I met at Wetherspoon's let me have a pipeful of MacBaren Vanilla Cream.
I've met a few pipe smokers at Cromford when I've been there; one of the Lace Wars re-enactors was smoking Holland House and there were two different pipe smokers at another event I went to last autumn; one of them was smoking St Bruno and the other Gawith Hoggarth Cherry Vanilla.
Quite a few fellow pipe smokers are happy to let me have a pipeful of baccy (even the common OTC blends), while others think I'm just a beggar!

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
I have a soft spot for Clan. When I was a teenager in the 70's I found the likes of Condor far too strong for my liking but it was what most pipesmokers I knew smoked back then....that or St Bruno so I wanted to copy them.
Clan was milder and smelt nicer so I went with that when noone was looking until my tongue fell off. :LOL: I can see its appeal for those who like that sort of aromatic, however I've moved on since those days and would not buy it now.
If someone offered me a bowl I would try it just for old times sake.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I have a soft spot for Clan. When I was a teenager in the 70's I found the likes of Condor far too strong for my liking but it was what most pipesmokers I knew smoked back then....that or St Bruno so I wanted to copy them.
Clan was milder and smelt nicer so I went with that when noone was looking until my tongue fell off. :LOL: I can see its appeal for those who like that sort of aromatic, however I've moved on since those days and would not buy it now.
If someone offered me a bowl I would try it just for old times sake.
Same here although I quite like it in my clay!

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Yet I'd be surprised hearing if a brand new piper were declaring that he could smoke say Condor or Revor plug right of the bat with no ill effects,lol
I didn't get any ill effects after smoking Condor although I got a big nicotine blast from it and it set my heart thumping - I lost my footing and it's a good thing I didn't break my clay pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.