Status
Not open for further replies.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Folks,

As a recent born again pipe smoker I went for Clan and it is nostalgically lovely. Local supermarket only stocks: Clan, Gold Block, St Bruno and Condor. I'm guessing these are the last men standing after the attrition against smoking in all its forms in the UK. That must mean something.

D. :)
There's only Gold Block I haven't tried out of these four!
I bought a pouch of Clan when I'd just got two of my clay pipes at Cromford and wanted a smoke in one of them.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Would love to try some Clan but it is a bit hard to come by here in the US. Did manage to get some Condor and LOVE it, has a ketchup type scent and not nearly as heavy Lakeland vibe as others have mentioned. I think the European OTC's are much better than the ones we get here in the US and both Condor and St. Bruno are perfect examples.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Would love to try some Clan but it is a bit hard to come by here in the US. Did manage to get some Condor and LOVE it, has a ketchup type scent and not nearly as heavy Lakeland vibe as others have mentioned. I think the European OTC's are much better than the ones we get here in the US and both Condor and St. Bruno are perfect examples.
Absolute true, I'm positive,sooner or later You will get a pouch Clan since it is very widespread blend here in the EU continent

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Reading some of the comments here makes me think of the "motto" of The Whiskey Tribe - Drink What You Like, How You Like To - or something like that.

Our motto should be "Smoke what you like, in the pipe that you like."

I personally would be interested in at least trying some of the blends like Clan and Condor. Back in the 70s I smoked Mixture 79 and it didn't scare me off pipe smoking, so I don't think either of these would either.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Absolute true, I'm positive,sooner or later You will get a pouch Clan since it is very widespread blend here in the EU continent

I did find a place that sells Clan that ships to the US, same place i got some Ennerdale and Condor but due to the mixed reviews/cost i was hesitant to try some Clan but it does sound curious. For all the hate for Condor and Ennerdale i had to give them a shot and neither disappoints.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wow. I have often wondered who purchased the stuff. I have smoked it once or twice. Its on par with Royal Yuck and whilst it smells delightful it burns so hot its like smoking a bowl full of pubic hairs and renders your tongue useless for any extra curricular activities for a least a week! 8O
I believe this reply regarded Clan tobacco, but I am re-replying because I want to know when and why Simon smoked the hair bowl....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No one has reviewed it here exactly, but I have always assumed it is pretty harsh, from the reactions. I like Five Brothers, various Semois cuts, and others. This is burley, right? Let's say, I won't go on a quest.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
No one has reviewed it here exactly, but I have always assumed it is pretty harsh, from the reactions. I like Five Brothers, various Semois cuts, and others. This is burley, right? Let's say, I won't go on a quest.
Cant say that Clan is harsh, quite opposite ,there is light fruity&alcohol topping applied to this blend something akin to SWRA, but optimal moisture with this tobacco is quite crucial ,and as it is close to shag cut,then proper,thighter packing is a must , quite often they sell it in overly dry condition and thats when It burns fast and may taste harsh, also I'd advice to be careful with rehydrating and not overdoing it ,

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Wow. I have often wondered who purchased the stuff. I have smoked it once or twice. Its on par with Royal Yuck and whilst it smells delightful it burns so hot its like smoking a bowl full of pubic hairs and renders your tongue useless for any extra curricular activities for a least a week! 8O
Extremely well-stated!

Reactions: weezell and BROBS

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I've never known the stem of my clay pipes get so clogged as when I've been smoking Clan in them!
My one remaining clay got broken after attempting to clear the blockage in the stem at the base of the bowl (the usual place for pipe blockages!), so I'm currently pipe-less.
I bought Jamie a briar pipe and gave him my packet of Clan as a thank you present for decorating my staircase and Great Hall, after I'd had a couple of bowls in it.
Clan tastes completely different and stronger in a briar pipe compared with a clay, probably because of the large bowl size and I'm only used to smoking a clay!

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
This is one of the tobaccos that I really couldn't smoke. I even put a pinch of perique in it, like one would put salt in a bad tasting food but no success. A weird flavour and almost shag cut require too much effort to squeeze a pleasant smoke out of it.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Well here we go, I'm gonna try to put something straight. I gave up the pipe for a few years and recently I have crawled back to the briar, how I have missed it. Now I have read some god awful opinions on Clan pipe tobacco here and quite frankly I am surprised (you know who you are!) because over the last few weeks I have tried a few choice blends and quite honestly nothing is as distinct or memorable as good old Clan. Nothing smells like it or tastes like it and nothing makes you pick up the pipe quicker than a bowl of it. As they would say in Scotland, "Clan is the bollocks," (please excuse the language this should be said in a Glaswegian accent) which is appropriate for the name Clan. It does, after all, have a Tartan package. So come on folks, am I really the only secret Clan lover on the site?
Clan originally was sold in the UK as a trendy dutch aromatic.I tried one packet, It burnt my mouth so badly that it put me off pipe smoking for years until I discovered Gawith and Hoggarth blends.When I very rarely see pipe smokers in the street they are either smoking Clan or St Bruno ready rubbed, they tend to be older men who don't use online retailers.

Reactions: BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I absolutely loath the stuff. I would rather my ball sack be stapled to the floor with a nail gun whilst getting buggered up the back side by a dwarf wearing a barbed wire condom then to ever smoke a bowl of Clan. Does that answer your question?
maybe. So it's featured lightly in your monthly rotation? Did I get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.