Churchwardens, Finally Giving One A Chance!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
So here's an update after finally getting to set down with this pipe. Definitely a keeper! I was concerned about the length being a little unwieldy but it was nothing of the sort. It has an easy, balanced feel to it and smoked smooth and slow filled with GL Pease Gaslight. I'm looking forward to plenty more relaxing, kickbacks with this pipe in the near future. Does the longer stem make a difference? Maybe it's just my imagination but there did seem to be an added smoothness, but I am a slow smoker anyway. Glad I gave it a chance.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find churchwardens perfect pipes for smoking in an armchair. You put your elbow on the arm, and the bit is within effortless sipping distance, and away you go. I don't like them to clench, especially moving about the room, as the added length can hit lamps and other objects; it's not catastrophic, but a little annoying. I don't think the added length cools the smoke in any perceivable way, but some find it mellows it a touch. The churchwarden has a grand look, adds an ease to anyone's evening. I have a Sav 601 and an EWA, plus a clay pipe that is about twenty inches long my sister transported miraculously unbroken from The Netherlands. Churchwardens lend variety to anyone's pipe rack, and I recommend one or several.

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
I find churchwardens perfect pipes for smoking in an armchair. You put your elbow on the arm, and the bit is within effortless sipping distance, and away you go. I don't like them to clench, especially moving about the room, as the added length can hit lamps and other objects; it's not catastrophic, but a little annoying. I don't think the added length cools the smoke in any perceivable way, but some find it mellows it a touch. The churchwarden has a grand look, adds an ease to anyone's evening. I have a Sav 601 and an EWA, plus a clay pipe that is about twenty inches long my sister transported miraculously unbroken from The Netherlands. Churchwardens lend variety to anyone's pipe rack, and I recommend one or several.
"A mellow touch", that's a good description I think. I really don't clench pipes anyway except when I really need to go hand free, so I don't have a problem with giving the churchwarden a little support. It actually feel quite natural. Now that I've had a good experience with this one I'm sure I'll be looking at others. I'd like to say I will resist the pull, but I wouldn't be fooling anyone!

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I truly enjoy smoking my churchwarden pipes. For whatever reason, I find smoking them to be very relaxing.
I do find they have an extra contemplative quality that defies easy explanation. In fact smoking my warden today. Also for some reason I keep catching grave robbers when I smoke mine and occasional bible theifs