Churchwardens, Finally Giving One A Chance!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
After maintaining that I didn't need a churchwarden for a long time, I just picked one up to give it a chance. I have one Mauro Armellini pipe that I enjoy so I figured it was hard to go wrong for under $30 on this unsmoked Mauro Armellini churchwarden. I'll fill it for an inaugural smoke in the morning for a little relaxation before the work day. It's different but still has a reserved elegance, I kinda like it already.
Any thoughts or recommendations on packing, technique, or anything else for enjoying this pipe?

20220711_184419.jpg

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
After maintaining that I didn't need a churchwarden for a long time, I just picked one up to give it a chance. I have one Mauro Armellini pipe that I enjoy so I figured it was hard to go wrong for under $30 on this unsmoked Mauro Armellini churchwarden. I'll fill it for an inaugural smoke in the morning for a little relaxation before the work day. It's different but still has a reserved elegance, I kinda like it already.
Any thoughts or recommendations on packing, technique, or anything else for enjoying this pipe?

View attachment 156347
I'd like to hear your impressions. Compared to your existing pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Quite likely, sometimes little things make big differences, sometimes not. Sometimes it's just nice to change up the shape of things just to see what happens.
Never really noticed much difference from one pipe to another. Other than being much larger, my churchwardens smoke identical to my other pipes and require the same care.

My reply to the OP was for the question of packing, technique, and enjoyment of the pipe not differences between it and others.

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
Never really noticed much difference from one pipe to another. Other than being much larger, my churchwardens smoke identical to my other pipes and require the same care.

My reply to the OP was for the question of packing, technique, and enjoyment of the pipe not differences between it and others.
I appreciate your input, it never hurts to keep an ear open to folks with more experience. I'll fill like I normally do and pay attention to how it goes. Change if needed, leave it alone if not.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I appreciate your input, it never hurts to keep an ear open to folks with more experience. I'll fill like I normally do and pay attention to how it goes. Change if needed, leave it alone if not.
You'll eventually get to a point where you won't even be using any techniques that you've learned from others and find your own way of pipe smoking.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I had an old martial arts teacher once tell me I shouldn't be thinking about techniques so why was I asking him about them. Ah, I see my pipe kung fu needs more time!
Indeed Grasshopper.

Take anything you read or hear about smoking a pipe with a grain of salt and don't be afraid of adapting things to work for you.