PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I say the show should be moved from Chicago to Florida. There are tons of great resorts near major cities. Back in the late 90's we had the Fuente Cigar Celebration at Sand Dollar resort on Clear Water beach and then at the Don Cesar on ST Pete beach. Smoking in the pool and poolside was pretty cool.

I think Florida is much more suited to events like this and the Chicago organizers should consider this idea.

Harris, I understand your point. I spend a lot of time in FL myself and agree it has the potential to host a show.

But at the end of the day the Chicago show exists because of the Chicago club. It really only comes together because of all the hard work club members. and in many cases spouses, put in every year. Much of that would become difficult or impossible if the show left Chicagoland. Club members will have to speak for themselves, but my strong impression is that a show that's not more or less local will be somebody else's show, not theirs.

I know this is obvious, but the amount of work, unpaid, onerous, and put in over many weekends and evenings, to mount a show of this size is enormous. Every pipe show on the calendar is a minor miracle, and we're all lucky that someone is willing to expend the effort.

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
I love Bern's, and especially enjoyed going when they used to allow smoking in the dessert room.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
From the club website: Show Update - 2.5.2020 - Chicago Pipe Club - http://www.chicagopipeshow.com/show-update-2-5-2020/

Show Update – 2.5.2020
At the present time, we are actively pursuing our 2 alternative locations. We are aware that Pheasant Run has been cancelling room reservations and falsely stating that the show is cancelled. This is far from the truth. THERE WILL BE A SHOW THE FIRST WEEKEND OF MAY! Please book your airfare. Venue details are forthcoming. Stay tuned for more information in the next two weeks.

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
From the club website: Show Update - 2.5.2020 - Chicago Pipe Club - http://www.chicagopipeshow.com/show-update-2-5-2020/

Show Update – 2.5.2020
At the present time, we are actively pursuing our 2 alternative locations. We are aware that Pheasant Run has been cancelling room reservations and falsely stating that the show is cancelled. This is far from the truth. THERE WILL BE A SHOW THE FIRST WEEKEND OF MAY! Please book your airfare. Venue details are forthcoming. Stay tuned for more information in the next two weeks.

I believe PR is saying the show is cancelled at PR. You will know the moment the sale is complete from the rumble of the bulldozers! If the city, town, county, state whatever takes over the center i can assure any thought of smoking will go up in smoke.

Reactions: BROBS
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
One more nail in Pheasant Run's coffin. It's closing at the end of February, after the failed auction. Read the article here.

This is actually good news since I expect it should allow the club the freedom to move forward with our alternate plans. As some of you know, the club has had its hands tied by the remote possibility that the resort would be sold and that the new owner would hold us to our contractual agreement, with a very substantial penalty used as a cudgel. That threat seems to have vanished with the closing.

When the auction failed to receive a bid which met the reserve price, I was very disappointed. Pheasant Run had become a zombie and we couldn't move on until the damned thing was really and truly dead. It just got double-tapped.

CPCC has a meeting this coming Saturday, February 22nd. I hope there will be definitive news coming from that meeting.

Mind you, although I am a reasonably well-informed CPCC member, I am not a show officer. I am sharing some news, but 100% speculating on the ultimate outcome. I hope that I am correct. Watch for an update from Winton, who is a show officer and whose posts on this topic are authoritative.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
The latest update (from another forum): "There is to be an official meeting and signings of contracts next week. THERE WILL BE A 2020 CHICAGO PIPE SHOW. There will be provisions for approx 400 hotel rooms. There will be a large tent with the show in it, and an adjacent smoking tent. That's all I can say now, but we will be informed soon as to the location/venue and links for hotel rooms. Those of you that are hemming and hawing about coming.... please still come! It WILL happen. "

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The latest update (from another forum): "There is to be an official meeting and signings of contracts next week. THERE WILL BE A 2020 CHICAGO PIPE SHOW. There will be provisions for approx 400 hotel rooms. There will be a large tent with the show in it, and an adjacent smoking tent. That's all I can say now, but we will be informed soon as to the location/venue and links for hotel rooms. Those of you that are hemming and hawing about coming.... please still come! It WILL happen. "

Thanks for the update.

lawdogspipes

Might Stick Around
May 19, 2010
Excellent. Thanks for the update and always look forward to the show.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Another update: "There will be news in a week or less. The distance from O'Hare should be less than it was to St. Charles/Pheasant Run."

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
logs, I'm glad you have access to this information and are sharing it. The transparency is greatly appreciated.

Your post on Sunday made it sound like the venue might be split in some way. Will there be more than one hotel? Will the hotel(s) be on the same property as the tents?

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Am I reading the post correctly that the show is going to be outside in a tent?

That's my reading of logs' post. What's less clear to me is whether the tent will be as large as the MegaCenter (seems unlikely, but I could easily be wrong) and able to accommodate the 300+ tables the show usually boasts.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
@jguss I'm just reposting updates I'm getting elsewhere. I have no information about specifics. Although I'm a member of the CPCC, I missed the last meeting and the chance to gather further intelligence ;)

Reactions: docpierce and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.