PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdogspipes

Might Stick Around
May 19, 2010
Hopefully we will hear something soon. For us everything is on hold for right now. This is certainly one show that I would hate to see go down. I keep looking for updates...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The state persimmon festival is held on a large private farm, but parking has to be down the road at a church and people are delivered by shuttle, so it's better if there is room to park, and lodging within a short drive. Dream on. I hope something shows up.

Reactions: lawdogspipes
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Assuming that it will not be at Pheasant Run, the club is evaluating myriad options, including a couple out of the box ideas. Given the short window to find an alternative, it appears likely that the 2020 show would have the essentials like a large show floor and a smoking tent, but might lack some of the bells and whistles, like the banquets.

Despite its "charms", Pheasant Run was unique in that it provided a single facility that could accommodate everything and had lots of nearby restaurants and hotels.

lawdogspipes

Might Stick Around
May 19, 2010
Pipemaker Richard Lawton just posted this to The Seattle Pipe Club's Facebook page...

"I just got this from the Chicago show folks.
Richard,
Last Monday Pheasant Run announced that they were laying off 70% of their staff. Last Wednesday their site said the property was for sale. No one at the property has any information to share, and the management company isn't returning our calls.
We are at this moment attempting to find a new venue. We will keep you appraised as events unfold.
Chuck"

So still in limbo.

Reactions: ron123

lawdogspipes

Might Stick Around
May 19, 2010
chillucky...nothing derogatory intended. Been showing at the show many years and hope too continue many more. I am sorry you took it that way. Thank you.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If course it's still in limbo. Eight days ago we were all indirectly informed that we have five months to plan something (now from the ground up) that normally takes a year.

If your experience with humanity and business makes you think hard answers can be had right away, I am very jealous if the life you've led.

I remember a response from an Executive VP at one of the companies I worked for, one of the smartest people I've ever met. "We can supply an immediate answer any time you would like. The answer would always be no." I don't envy you guys the task you face and trying to make something happen in the Chicago area on top of it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's some happy talk: Sometimes a makeshift event is more informal and gets people more relaxed, since they are sharing the inconvenience and they feel part of an effort. The difference between a camping trip and a catered event.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Native American Reservations make their own smoking rules. Not sure if that's been looked at.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I suggested a banquet/meeting venue (big enough for the show, and on-facility cooking/catering) that also has a large parking lot (could fit a smoking tent) that's next to a hotel, and is a stone's throw from O'Hare, but based on the response, I think they have something already in the works. Guessing it's on a need-to-know basis as I didn't hear more than that...which I am fine with because I do not need to know LOL

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
imo, It's time to cut your losses and move on. the place was getting bad the last few years and the wife refused to stay they. with a lot of staff gone does anyone really want to camp there? are they holding any of your money? might be worth talking to some of the Chicago area convention bureau's. I know one of our Masonic temples has a huge convention area.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
imo, It's time to cut your losses and move on. the place was getting bad the last few years and the wife refused to stay they. with a lot of staff gone does anyone really want to camp there? are they holding any of your money? might be worth talking to some of the Chicago area convention bureau's. I know one of our Masonic temples has a huge convention area.
Thanks. There's a contract but I don't think any money was paid out. Not 100% sure of any of this though, as there is a show director and committee within the club. I'm trusting they'll make the right decisions...speaking only for myself, of course. Yeah, my wife wouldn't have been happy with the "resort" either, but then again, for better or worse, she takes zero interest in my pipes and tobaccos.

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
Thanks. There's a contract but I don't think any money was paid out. Not 100% sure of any of this though, as there is a show director and committee within the club. I'm trusting they'll make the right decisions...speaking only for myself, of course. Yeah, my wife wouldn't have been happy with the "resort" either, but then again, for better or worse, she takes zero interest in my pipes and tobaccos.

Wife isn't thrilled with the pipe but getting to Chicago she likes shopping downtown.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since we're brain storming, let me toss this out there. Many posts of the big veteran's organizations have space to rent when they aren't using the facilities, and I would surmise some are not as categorical about smoking/non-smoking. This would require a VFW or American Legion, or similar facility, very near a respectable chain motel/hotel. This doesn't have the panache of a resort, even a fading one, but it might work within the budget. I'm not going to make it up north to this, but I'd like to see it happen.

spugni

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2017
Long Island, NY
Looks like good news. I just received this email.

The latest word from the director of the Chicagoland Pipe Show.

“This week I spoke with the President of Hostmark, the manager of Pheasant Run. He assured me that PR will be open and will host the 2020 Show. This will be after laid off employees will be called back after the slow winter months”, said Craig Cobine.

So it looks like the show will go on.

Tom Wolfe,
UPCA President

Status
Not open for further replies.