Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This could get ugly.
Only if the CPCC doesn't resolve this in a completely unambiguous manner ASAP. And even then, I don't see why it would "get ugly", even if it resolves as a smaller event. Under the circumstances people will understand.

But face facts. Pheasant Run is canceling room reservations and telling people who inquire that there will be no pipe show there and that they will be closing for the rest of the year.

And, don't be telling people to buy airplane tickets unless you're willing and able to refund them their money out of your own pocket if things go totally pear shaped.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Since I'm already committed to being in Phoenix the weekend of the Chicago pipe show, I'm thinking of hitting Las Vegas for the West Coast show instead. I lived in Chicago proper for 14 years, and 10 years in Chicagoland before that, so the area is near and dear to my heart. I'm not trying to step on any toes here, merely reminding folks of an alternative plan to help ease disappointment/frustration in light of these unfortunate circumstances that were clearly out of the organizers' hands.
  • The West Coast pipe show is on Halloween, which could be a lot of fun.
  • Flights to Vegas are often cheap/on-sale.
  • Temperatures in Vegas will probably be excellent. Las Vegas avg high temp in Oct is 83F, and 70F in Nov, so split the difference and you've got about 76-77F.
  • Pipe smoking (no cigars, sorry) IS permitted in the ballroom. A smoking lounge will be available to all attendees, night and day, also in the ballroom area, with chairs and a bar. Hooray!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The 2020 Chicago Pipe Show has become a soap opera, a long slow drama with twists and turns. I'll miss it and go into withdrawal when it's settled and we look toward 2021, and I can't even attend. It's just so ... riveting.

Reactions: bent1 and BROBS

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I'm not trying to step on any toes here, merely reminding folks of an alternative plan to help ease disappointment/frustration in light of these unfortunate circumstances that were clearly out of the organizers' hands.
  • Temperatures in Vegas will probably be excellent. Las Vegas avg high temp in Oct is 83F, and 70F in Nov, so split the difference and you've got about 76-77F.
  • Pipe smoking (no cigars, sorry) IS permitted in the ballroom. A smoking lounge will be available to all attendees, night and day, also in the ballroom area, with chairs and a bar. Hooray!!
All true. And if someone could only attend one show per year, I'd say make it the West Coast Pipe Show in 2020 for the reasons you highlighted.

But for me, the Chicago and Vegas shows are both important socially. I look forward to both of them and have come to rely on them as great times to recharge my batteries, spend some time with friends that I only get to see at the shows, and really geek out on pipes and tobacco. It's become a tradition in my life and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Apr 25, 2017
I was planning on attending but with all the uncertainty I have cancelled all my reservations. I was really looking forward to going. I’ll see what happens next year. Not very happy about this. ?

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It might take a year to regroup and find a dependable location. This year sounds like it will be held on the fly and improvised, or not at all. It could be fun for a mobile group of adventurers who don't expect many exhibitors, maybe the trunks of cars, and who can eat, drink and sleep on the road. And so onward to 2021. Meet the pop-up pipe show. This could attract college students as nothing else can.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It might take a year to regroup and find a dependable location. This year sounds like it will be held on the fly and improvised, or not at all. It could be fun for a mobile group of adventurers who don't expect many exhibitors, maybe the trunks of cars, and who can eat, drink and sleep on the road. And so onward to 2021. Meet the pop-up pipe show. This could attract college students as nothing else can.
I appreciate the positive spin you bring to this. When handed a lemon, make lemonade.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I once participated in the last meeting of a writers' group by meeting with one other guy, a Texan writer who had MS and spoke very softly and slowly, but was a good guy and an interesting writer. We met in the parking lot of the building that was locked, and covered pretty good ground given the circumstances. So it is whatever people are willing to do, amenities be damned. It wouldn't be a pipe show as we know it, but it could be a pipe show as we've never known one. A little vodka in the lemonade. A certain level of foolishness is always required for innovation.

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I watched this thread with interest. My wife an I attended this show for a couple of years in the early '00's. At the time the resort was very nice and my wife enjoyed getting some beauty treatment at their spa. The food, drinks and accommodations were fine; far better than some other shows we attended - on in NY and one in Richmond....but we did like the Richmond shows quite a bit.

It was and still is a big deal for most people to take time off work and travel to a pipe show. For vendors, it's expensive to bring in goods. We were very close with the Tarlers and they always brought a truckload of tobacco to give away, and paid for a wall of tables. Then the folks coming from other countries? These events take time and coordination to pull off well - I do not see how anything good can come from last minute changes. I agree the club should regroup and try again another time when things are well set so that potential participants can schedule without risk / concern.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Since I'm already committed to being in Phoenix the weekend of the Chicago pipe show, I'm thinking of hitting Las Vegas for the West Coast show instead. I lived in Chicago proper for 14 years, and 10 years in Chicagoland before that, so the area is near and dear to my heart. I'm not trying to step on any toes here, merely reminding folks of an alternative plan to help ease disappointment/frustration in light of these unfortunate circumstances that were clearly out of the organizers' hands.
I've been going to the WCPS every year for the past 6 years and I always enjoy it. Last November's show was great, with new (to the show) carvers testing it out and happy with the experience. I've already made reservations. Attend the pipe show during the day, see a show at one of the hotels in the evening or hang out in the smoking lounge, swapping lies and tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.