PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I'll be there. Not sure what my table number is yet. Probably the same as last year, next to Joe Nelson and Chuck Rio.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
What are the first events of the Pipe Show? Glad you asked!
THERE WILL BE TWO PIPE MAKING SEMINARS ON WEDNESDAY May 3 & THURSDAY May 4. ONE WILL BE OUR 2 DAY PIPE FINISHING SEMINAR, WITH LEE ERCK, JOE NELSON, MIKE BUTERA AND OTHERS. WE WILL ALSO HAVE A SEPARATE TWO DAY COURSE IN MEERSCHAUM PIPE MAKING WITH TURKISH CARVER ISMAIL CELEBI. (THERE IS A PRE-REGISTRATION AND CHARGE FOR BOTH PIPEMAKING SEMINARS)
I attended the briar class last year. You start with a pipe making kit. The holes are already drilled. Then you learn how to shape, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand and finish the pipe. That really taught me how much work goes into making a pipe. The Meer class is new. I don't know many details on this class.
I am not sure if these classes have any openings at this point. If interested, contact Craig Cobine, at: PORSHCIGAR@AOL.COM

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
24 days until the tent opens! I took this picture for an article for PipesMagazine in 2015.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-shows/what-happens-in-the-tent-doesnt-stay-in-the-tent/

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I would love to have a picture of the smoking tent on a Zippo. That would be cool!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Lets talk BYOB. We are guests of Pheasant Run. They make revenue selling adult beverages. This requires a liquor license. There are rules involved in this.
Here is the short answer. In your own room, you can enjoy a bottle from any source, including your own still. Outside your room, ie halls, tent, grounds, etc, you can enjoy whatever Pheasant Run has to offer. Commercial sponsors, if you are renting a larger space and have questions on this topic, feel free to contact Pheasant Run.
Also, if things get out of control, there are members of the St Charles police force on site, guarding the Mega Center. Don't get silly.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
We have a few last minute table cancellations. A couple pipe makers have notified us that they do not have enough of a pipe inventory to justify a table. So a few tables have just become available. Contact Craig Cobine at porshcigar@aol.com if you want a table ($150.00).

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
More details on the meerschaum pipe class:
We are having a meerschaum pipe making class on May 3 and 4, 2017, at the same time as our briar making class. You will make a meerschaum pipe to take home with you. In addition to the pipe you make, you will also receive your own set of meerschaum carving tools to use and take home. The price for the class, the pipe and the tools is only $275.00. Contact Craig Cobine at porshcigar@aol.com if you want to reserve a place in the seminar..

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Friday Seminars!
5 pm to 7 pm CLEAN YOUR OWN DARN PIPE! by Chuck Gray. I am looking forward to this. I found a Marshall Fields pipe at an estate sale recently. I am still not happy with my results.
There are 4 seminars at 9 pm:
Ladies' Tobacco Related Arts & Craft Program (My wife is looking forward to this.)

Rob Cooper, Pipe Collecting: Theory and Practice

Father the Flame World Premier Showing (admit it, you want to see if you can find yourself in the video)

Pipe Repairmen Roundtable.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
10 days to the Smoking Tent opens!
FYI, there was frost on my backyard this morning. Of course maybe it will be 80 degrees.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Of course maybe it will be 80 degrees.
It looks to be a repeat of last year right now. Highs in the mid 60's, lows in the low 50's, and showers.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Yes, you need a ticket for the Friday nite buffet. If you don't have one, there will be people at the door to give you one. This is a free event to welcome everyone to the show.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Today, I am announcing an event that revived from previous shows. We are going to have the Chicago Bowl this year for the best aromatic blend. On Friday morning in the tent there will be several blends available for tasting. None of them will be identified. Everyone can try them and then vote for their favorite. The blend with the most votes will win the trophy below. The winner and all the contestants will be identified on Sunday. There will be zip lock bags available then to take samples home with you.
If there are any more blenders that would like to participate, I recommend that you bring your choice with you to the show. I will be at the show from Wednesday to the end. Contact me before Friday.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

That's a big bowl. The weather forecast looks good now, still in the 60's, but no rain. :D

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I SWEAR I will make it this year!
Of course.... I swear a lot..... BUT STILL.
When I roll in on Saturday... will I be able to find any of you? Or do I just walk around yelling.."I JEFF, with 3 f's"

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have Winton on the fishing vest that I will wear most of the weekend. If you see me, introduce yourself. There is also a PipesMagazine get together in the tent at 2:00 pm on Saturday in the tent.

Status
Not open for further replies.