PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I’ve read many different historical accounts of how sailors would take plugs with them to sea; if the weather was favorable, they’d put it in their pipes, if it was unfavorable, they’d throw some in their cheek. Are these plugs the same we have today or are these different kinds of plugs? If they’re the same, could you (or would you want to), potentially chew one?
There's a little twist tobacco called Oliver Twist that's made in Denmark. It comes in several different flavors, many with liquorice flavor, but the Golden is pure tobacco taste with a little molasses I think. In any case, they're very very good. I bought several to keep around.

dottlejockey

Can't Leave
Interesting. My dad used to chew Days Work and i actually have a plug i keep jarred for when i'm driving with my wife as she isn't a fan of my cigar smoke while trapped in the vehicle (i smoke mostly cigars while driving). I always find the experience quite nostalgic. When i got into pipes many years ago i'd let him smell all the various blends and he'd sometimes grab a pinch and dip it - attracted to the casing, no doubt. I have some xx and brown rope. Will have to give this a go, just for fun.

grimpeur

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
That's good to know, because I find it next to impossible to keep lit, no matter how dry. Not sure I'll be able to stomach chewing it though, but I may give it a try.
I found the xx twist an entirely different, and more enjoyable, experience chewed. Although "chewed" is the wrong word; I let a slice sit in my upper cheek, like snus. Delivers enough nicotine for me, and no spitting. The brown rope is noticeably stronger in the mouth.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
That's good to know, because I find it next to impossible to keep lit, no matter how dry. Not sure I'll be able to stomach chewing it though, but I may give it a try.
I smoke a fair amount Black XX Twist and I don't seem to have issues keeping it alight. I find if you slice it very fine in 1/32' slices and let it sit out for about ten minutes it seems fine. Are you smoking fresh twist? I have all of mine jarred going back 15 years. The aging does not do much flavor wise but it helps the twist settle down and lose about 20% of the water content. Remember Black Twist has been basted with olive oil and then wrapped in brown paper and cooked in a heated press.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
Other forums have them.
What are these “Other forums” you speak of ? There is only one forum and can be only one. Other forums best watch their head.

This is the only forum/social media that I am on. I’m guessing it’s this way for many others here. This might be why we discuss so much more than pipe tobacco here.

We have a cigar thread and there are other forums for cigars, so a chew/snuff thread isn’t that far off the mark.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
North Dakota, USA
What are these “Other forums” you speak of ? There is only one forum and can be only one. Other forums best watch their head.

This is the only forum/social media that I am on. I’m guessing it’s this way for many others here. This might be why we discuss so much more than pipe tobacco here.

We have a cigar thread and there are other forums for cigars, so a chew/snuff thread isn’t that far off the mark.
This is not a good Pipe forum for new pipe smokers. Usually it descends into old guys saying, yeah I do it this way, any other way those people are idiots and losers. But do what works best for you

• Wow
Reactions: condorlover1

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Steddy: I could really see @kevin approving a 'What Are You Snorting Today' section on the forum - not! The Chew/Dry Snuff thing might fly although I am totally surprised as to how many on here chew as opposed to the Snuss stuff. I always thought it was restricted to people like Mr. Embers, myself and few other people from below the Mason-Dixon Line. Personally I would be very interested to see what everyone else is chewing and spitting all over the place.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
So what is everyone chewing today? I have an open block of Bear of the Woods and some Mammoth Cave Twist. Any advances on that one?