PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Phil you're cracking up. Well at least your pipes are.
With he cherry I've been working with I don't drive the shank in. I just keep sanding it until it fits tight when push in with a fair amount of pressure.
When you get the pipe I made you'll see you can pull the shank out by hand if you really try. No worries it goes back in just fine.
I like your side ways poker. You could call it "Side Bet".

frostyforge

Lurker
Mar 30, 2010
Daaaaannnnnnnnggggggggg, ya'll are really starting to annoy me, I've got finals coming up next week and I don't have time to start new projects!!! lol, that is some awsome work phil, I'm going to have to break out my oak and make one of the "golf" pipes. Keep it up phil, and you might want to take it slower with putting the shanks in, don't force em, pretty much what jonesing said.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Go for a nice easy push fit. There are a lot of stresses in about any wood for a long time even if it seems completely dry.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Rafter Said
If you plan to keep making pipes, this is where many of us started out:

Pimo Pipe Book
I have the book, 3 arbors, 3 buffs, carnuba, tripoli, 3 stains, 1 drilled briar block, 1 raw block, and 1 stem on order.
Now if I can figure out where to order skill and talent...I'll be in great shape!

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Phil:
For whatever it's worth I drill the shank/bowl union at 5/8ths and then start with a 3/4 inch cherry dowel with the airway already drilled for a shank. I take the rasp (or belt sander) too it with a heavy hand to get it somewhere close to fitting, and then use 60 grit sandpaper to keep tapering it back until the entire end protrudes into the bowl. You sort of sharpen it like a pencil.
I tried something different with he pipe I sent you. I drilled the shank/bowl hole as low as possible and even left a slight groove on the bottom. So when the shank fits the airway is maybe a 16th higher than the floor of the bowl.
Then once the shank fit tightly I redrilled the chamber to remove the protruding shank. This left the draft hole flush on the back side of the bowl just barely higher than the floor.
I'm curious how it works out. If it causes poor performance or is a problem for some reason let me know so I don't do it that way again. t might be better to go back to ramping the shank in the bowl like a corn cob.
Although I think I'll move on to trying a one piece pretty quick, I could always see myself making a few of 2 piece cherry woods to use instead of cobs.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Uncle:
Yeah I'm itching to get started. Actually pretty enthused about my hot rod pipes too.
Will be fun finishing practice. One of them is a no name (London Lane) but good quite sharp looking billiard. Description says to fills on front of bowl. So that will be a good place to do some rusticating. For 6.75 total cost I won't worry too much if I mess it up.
Phil:
Looking good. Easy peasy right? Looks like Lawrence is going to need a sherpa to carry that pipe around for him.
Looking forward to having mine when I get home. Hope you get yours before you leave.

raftergtex

Lurker
Mar 18, 2010
Wow, Jonesing, at least I know that you will be able to keep that poker polished.
The Pimo book is pretty basic, and aimed towards a person who has only hand tools, but it gives you the basics. Then, once you devour that and get the bug, you should move on to pipemakersforum.com. The best pipemakers around will share and have shared just about anything about pipemaking (the only exception being their proprietary finishing techniques). Best of luck!

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Yep Tim, I'm a lurker. Been reading through thread after thread there. Now I need to get some hands on to help me make sense of it.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Phil, I feel ya brotha. That's why I replaced the drill press I "loaned" my father-in-law.
I bought a barely used cheapy off craigslist for $40.
I'm going to play around with making an absolute dead center for the bed to see if I can use it for free hand drilling and maybe stem turning etc.. Hopefully I won't drill a hole in my hand.
I also see that sears is selling a mini lathe for $160. Gets decent reviews for hobby work. I'll see how things go with the one piece briars and then consider whether my limited abilities warrant more tools. I learned that clubs don't make a golfer and I epxect tools don't make a craftsman either.
Oh by the way Phil. We have a future. If this guy can sell his pipes for $90 we oughta be able to get rich.

fhb2532

Lifer
Feb 22, 2010
OK guys just got applewood in the mail, 1/2 bowl of VA longcut, light up it smokes sweetwith a taste ao apple, NIIIIIICCCCCEEEEEE! feels good in my hand too. Just the 1st report

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
No turning back now Phil. You need a drill press and some more nifty woodworking toys . Oh yeah and some briar blocks and.........................

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Yep. I just got home and opened it. Way cool man. Even better than the photos. And thank you for the samples. One isn't labeled (or it fell off) . I see McCl Dominican Glory and the other one smells awesome. What is it.
Very very cool Phil. Thans a TON!

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Ahhhh the famous Mutt Mix. I recall Frank smoked the sh!t out of it.
I'll have it first in the Apple.
Not often you get to smoke a custom blend from the same guy that actually handmade the pipe.
We can compare notes on the Habana and Dominican.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Thank you Phil,
I received my "Fist Full of Dollars" this afternoon.

I smoked 1/2 bowl of 1Q to begin the break in process.

It's a very good smoker.

Time of smoke ..... 1 hour 22 minutes.
Outstanding!

(Insert Standing Ovation here)____________

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Phil:
I'm out of the cherry pipe making business....at least for awhile.
I got my briar today and I'm going to dig in.
Here's some photos of the blocks. One is predrilled and afterI screw that up, I will try to drill my own for the second folly.
First one's a bent somethingor other. Sort of sketched out I guess a billiardy shape but I'm gonna go more for a bent dublin. But it will likely be a "freehand" in the end unless I stumble on a classic shape by accident. My story will be that whatever it looks like is exactly what I intended.
Then the second is an obvious poker. I can likely manage something arguably shaped a bit like a poker. Tall tube on a straight stick....check.
You can also see my work in progress cherry that I will abandon for awhile I guess.
It's evolving into either a "FUBU Faux Boo"....or the skeleton of some kind of critter. I sort of like him though.
Thanks a ton for the apple pipe. It's way cool. Sounds like Lawrence will need to take a day off to get a whole bowl in with that handful you made him.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Well the jury is still out on me Phil. I said I was gonna try didn't say I was gonna succeed.
Hey that apple works well. That pipe you sent me is very attractive. More so in person even than the photos. I suspect the apple wood will get better and better if you put some up and let it dry for a few months. It didn't seem "wet" in the one you sent me. But a little age helps most things except of course milk and women.
I may have overstated my cherry wood retirement. I expect I'll always whip out a few of these to use instead of cobs. I really think they make a great smoke. I'm a bit surprised no body makes some good cherry utility pipes. MM makes the hardwoods which I think are probably walnut...maybe oak?. But the real cherry seems to "breathe" well or something.
Hang in and don't turn your back on any Wyoming "cowboys" I saw that movie with that dead guy that played Joker. Gave new meaning to riding bareback.

Status
Not open for further replies.