PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobsandclays

Lurker
Mar 2, 2010
alright, not as pretty as Jonesings, but I, too was inspired by this thread. I don't like to work wood but on occasion I have to for a knife handle or some such. So I put my meager skills together and came up with this piece, which I'll call "proof of concept":

4495903342_1b30277914_m.jpg

4495903332_cb7c6a33de_m.jpg

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Nice!
That's really the same as mine just needs sanding and shaping and stuff. You did the hard part and it looks like you did better than I did. I basically drilled 3 holes and then made a pipe and shank around them. I needed lots of wiggle room due to imprecision in drilling. I'm getting better though ....I hope.
What did you use to drill that long shank? One shot with a long bit or did you come at it from both ends?

cobsandclays

Lurker
Mar 2, 2010
Thanks for the compliment! I'll see if I can fiddle with the shape. It smokes like a chimney and I don't get a lot of time in the shop anymore (I'm almost done with my BA and I get to choose from MA programs if I decide to start this fall). So for a first try, I'm calling it a success- but I already know what I'll do different on my next pipes (shorter shank, for one).
Where did you get your stem? The stems I bought were very rough (the plastic from where the mold halves meet was still on them) and they're way bigger than I expected. I like the style you're using.
I did the hole a little differently than I've seen- pardon my imprecise terminology as I attempt to explain the process. I used one of my bladesmithing tricks for fitting full-length stick tangs. First I drilled a 1/8" pilot hole in the end of a 3/4" cherry-wood pen blank. Then I straightened out a coat hanger wire, heated the tip and burned the hole until it was about 1/2" from the closed end. Hanger wire is conveniently 1/8" diameter and you only need to heat that last 1" or so with a propane torch. Using a vise to hold the wire is good for your hands and acts as a stop, so you can't punch through the other side, if you're trying it my way. It takes a few heats but it's an easy process.

I shaped the shank so it fit the hole in the side of the chamber block, and then made a flat spot and rounded the tip. Once I established that it was all snug and didn't have any gaps around the sides, I drilled a 1/8" hole at roughly 45deg to the main bore of the shank. I used the same hot wire trick to extend the main hole and this side hole until they met.

The burned out pilot hole was also the guide for the bits that I used to seat the stem.

I must have done something right because I ran a pipecleaner through the stem and shank and didn't hit any snags.
The thing I hate about cobs is the way the shank is inserted- it leaves gaps in the chamber. Plus the airway is HUGE and the cutoff end acts as an ash scoop. By the time I get to the bottom of a bowl I'm sucking in more ash and cooked tobacco than smoke. So this is kind of a hybrid cob and brier junction. I've smoked two bowls with it and only had a little bit of burnt something in the first bowl- it could very well have been charred cherry wood, but I spit it out all the same :)

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Well Cobs if you've made knives and pens you've got some skill. Kurt Huhn the pipe smith and admin of pipemakers forum says he got into making pipes because he kept screwing up knives.
Cool idea on the heated hanger. I've filed it away.
The stem I bought is a Forever stem for a cob from Walker Briar Works. I bought it to rotate among my cobs when I smoke them. But it's a P Lip and I figured I'd make it fit this pipe too. Gives me a bunch of cheap P Lip options for the blends with a propensity to bite..
Sounds like the bits you bought were blanks. They need finishing. But if they have the tenon already turned and the airway drilled it's just sanding I would imagine.
Of course to be a "real" pipe maker you have to start with straight stock and cut the bit from scratch. I don't expect I'll be doing that any time soon.
We have a couple of real pipe makers in our midst in the aptly handled pipemaker and RafterTG. Maybe they'll give pipe making for idiots lessons.
I'm going to keep after it and I think I'll order some larger cherry turning stock so I can mess around with a one piece stummel. The cherry is nice to work with for a novice. Maybe I'll work my way up to big boy pants and get to some briar once I figure things out.

cobsandclays

Lurker
Mar 2, 2010
@Phil- yes it does weigh a lot compared to, well, any of my other pipes. I tried to hold it in my mouth, but was afraid I was going to pry out a tooth or have to crush the stem in my teeth to keep from dropping it :)
@Jonesing- cherry -is- nice to work with. No surprises, aside from a couple of splits in the shank when I was test fitting the stem. I'll check out the Briar Works.

The stems do have the tenon and hole drilled, so yes, there's not a lot of shaping to be done, but I'll have to suss out the secrets of a bright, shiny stems.

frostyforge

Lurker
Mar 30, 2010
boy, ya'll put my work to shame. I was thinking about posting some of my work, but not now ;) plus I've only done cobs, but I've been wanting to make some wood ones. Do ya'll have problems with the bottoms burning thru like with cobs?

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Not so far and I don't think it will be a problem. I left a t least a 3/8th bottom on mine. That's a lot of wood.
I haven't been smoking cobs long enough to know for sure yet but from what I read the MM's with the little hardwood insert don't burn out. So if that little bit of walnut or whatever it is works I think nearly a half inch of cherry will hold up.
The cob experts say a little pipe mud in the bottom is worthwhile too.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
The cob experts say a little pipe mud in the bottom is worthwhile too.
I'm thinking of doing it with mine, I just don't have a cigar. The one time I have used pipe mud to fill a well, it really was nothing less than amazing. I guarantee it would keep the bottom from burning out of a cob.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
you know I've been thinking about this whole cigar ash for pipe mud thing.
I think it's horse shit. If you think about it what is the difference between burned up air cured Honduran leaf and burned up burley?
I can see not wanting to use ash from some kind of goopy PG ridden pipe tobacco. But I can't see why pipe ash from a relatively unmolested burley and or VA wouldn't do the same thing as cigar ash.
Am I missing something?

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
I can't see why pipe ash from a relatively unmolested burley and or VA wouldn't do the same thing as cigar ash.
I've read that PA is great to break in a pipe since it lends itself to fast caking, so why shouldn't it form a bond when mixed with water?
The argument against it is that unburnt particles could ruin it. That could probably be remedied by sifting it out Miami Vice style with a razor or credit card. Why not? It seems worth a try.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Hell snort some while your at it. You might invent something.
I agree. I could see you wouldn't want dottle. But nice fine ash seems like it would be fine. If it doesn't' work I guess you scrape it out, right? Worst case you soem how ruin a cob. Oh no.
I am a bit fascinated with the whole concept of making basically light weight cementish plaster stuff out of just ash and water. Maybe with enough ash a fella could make a nice counter top or something. :>)
RJ

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Hey no fair making a real pipe.
Nicely done Uncle. But this thread is for hacks. Not guys who actually know how do do this stuff! :>)

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have been fiddling with it for a couple days. Having a full wood shop makes things lots easier. The cherry came from my firewood pile and the stem is from an old junk pipe. I just turned a new tenon on it.

raftergtex

Lurker
Mar 18, 2010
You guys had better watch out, because pipemaking is addictive. The next one is always going to be just right, and every few days is Christmas as you see what kind of grain you can coax out of a piece of wood. Then you start tooling up, which gets expensive, and then you think, well maybe I will sell a few, and pretty soon your wife wonders whatever happened to old so and so .....
Good job on these cherrywoods.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
I wanna see that blood on it when I get it. That's real sacrifice for art.
Coping saw? You don't need no stinking coping saw.
I built mine with my teeth and finger nails.
OK I might have used a drill press, and a rasp, and my trusty pocket knife, and some sand paper, oh and I did cut the turning stock I have down to about a bowl size with my power miter saw....but other than that it was teeth and fingernails I tell ya.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Phil is this too tall?
DSC01400-250x181.jpg

I could shave it a bit.
Nahh....of course this pipe is way to nice to be a Downhill.
Good news though. I did get arund to drilling your chamber and I didn't even screw it up too bad.
I need a new half inch to cut the bowl/shank union and then we'll start making a big one into a littler one.
Are you sure you want it painted pink like you PM'd me about?
RJ

Status
Not open for further replies.