Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Well done Mr. Phil!
You're a regular Ropp
Where'd ya get the apple tree wood?

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
The beginning to my first Apple Wood pipe making experiment...
I think if you stopped now, it'd be good. It looks interesting with the unfinished bowl and the bark on the shank. The color of the stem really sets it off.
Then again, a nice dark stain wouldn't be a mistake either.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
On my cherry pipes I just hit them with wax. lets them color on their own . Cherry is super photo reactive so it darkens nicely.Apple also darkens but far more slowly What is real nice is the beautiful fawn colored heart wood. It's tricky to dry without cracking but well worth the hassles.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Looking really good Phil! As far as being able to make a nose-burner/warmer with that style of pipe...just make another thick bowl like you've got (maybe a little thicker even), but put a taper fit stem right into the bowl! Voila

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Y'know...somehow I managed to skip over your post stating that you were going to try just what I was thinking! You know what they say about great minds...

Loony.gif

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Got my wood today. Going to see what I can do with it, when I get some free time.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Excellent Phil, I'm glad that there was no serious splitting. I hope it turns its humble beginnings into a venerable old estate.
I look forward to seeing the next edition.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Here's my first finished stab at things. She smokes like a dream.
I don't really like the bit but it's a p lip for a cob and I like P lips so....I used it.
Would have liked to get the fit just a bit better but I ruined one shank by over-sizing the mortise to make a perfect fit and figured I wouldn't press my luck. Plus it will wear some I guess. This is just sort of a utilitarian prototype thing for my smoking pleasure only. Looks are secondary.

Click the image for a bigger one.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Show off?
Far from it. Sort of like virginal fumblings.
I like your apple tree pipe Phil. I'll tell ya what. I'll make you one of mine and you make me one of yours. Mine come with a money back guarantee....of course they are free but....still.
It's fun though huh?
I was amazed how well this one smoked. I drilled it to 5/32 and likely then a smidge as I ran the bit by hand through the length once I drilled the mortise. That big airway is awesome.
I'm thinking it would be fun to snag junkers off ebay and spruce em up a bit. Make hot rods out of them by openign the airways, maybe refinishing etc.
Considering this cobbled together thing smokes unbelievably good, I'm now convinced just about any pipe will smoke good with the right attention.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Sort of like virginal fumblings.
Nicely done. For "virginal fumblings" it looks like it turned out pretty good, especially if it's a good smoker.
I'll leave out the obvious "cherry" reference.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Looks pretty good to me jonsing. Right now I am going through my junker boxes and repairing all that I can salvage .

Status
Not open for further replies.