Changing Tastes...Shifting Toward Aros (Long Post)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I went mostly non-aromatic for a while, and I'm glad I did, to get a better feel for the various kinds of tobacco without flavoring, and mostly that's what I still smoke, but I too appreciate good tobacco forward aromatics. If I can't taste the tobacco, and if the flavoring covers rather than accents the tobacco, I get bored with a blend very fast. But a blend can be good to me whether it is flavored or not, if it is done with intelligence and art. Some fine old classics have some flavoring.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
nope having the opposite happen. Getting more into non aros. Still like aros but I don't go through a tin of an aro quite as fast as I do with a non aro. Though I think you hit on a great point, sometimes I like smoking an aro and seeing people catch a whiff and get a little smile on their face.

Reactions: danimalia

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I went mostly non-aromatic for a while, and I'm glad I did, to get a better feel for the various kinds of tobacco without flavoring, and mostly that's what I still smoke, but I too appreciate good tobacco forward aromatics. If I can't taste the tobacco, and if the flavoring covers rather than accents the tobacco, I get bored with a blend very fast. But a blend can be good to me whether it is flavored or not, if it is done with intelligence and art. Some fine old classics have some flavoring.
I was just about to edit my comment and say I like aros where I can taste the tobacco too. But generally I find that the aromatic qualities don't change much from start to finish of a bowl but tobacco certainly goes through flavor changes as a bowl goes on. That is probably the biggest reason I find overly aromatics kind of dull, nope still tastes like fruit in the same way.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Yes, I find myself in the mood for an aromatic pretty often. I mostly scratch that itch with SWRA most aros seem to be a little short on the nicotine. Its a shame that the blenders dont make some nic stronger aromatics. I guess the Lakeland stuff counts for that.. but those blends aren't exactly what I think of when I think of aromatics.
This is also a reason I avoid aros. Nicotine is certainly part of the reason I smoke and most aros fail to deliver on that front. I can accept lower nicotine in a Latakia blend as they tend to make up for it with endless amounts of flavor. Harder to forgive in an aro.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
This is also a reason I avoid aros. Nicotine is certainly part of the reason I smoke and most aros fail to deliver on that front. I can accept lower nicotine in a Latakia blend as they tend to make up for it with endless amounts of flavor. Harder to forgive in an aro.

I guess the idea is to not run off the first time smokers who usually start with some aros.. I know I did, I was almost run off by the lack of nicotine in all the aromatics That I bought. That captain black burnt my tounge so bad and for nothing. Haha no offense to people who like that stuff.. It does smell and taste pretty good. I like the taste of beer too, but I certainly am not going to buy a case of Bush NA. What are some of the stronger aromatics you've tried?

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Strong aros:

University Flake
Erinmore Flake(havent tried the current production but it used to have a respectable strength)
Royal Yacht (havent tried the current production but it used to have a respectable strength)
Dark Flake
If you dont mind lakeland flavor, Boson and Coniston cut plug are good.

Thats actually all i can think of atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.